SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting! That 900B target #2 is particular
is seriously impressive!

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
OH, for crying out loud. I just realized, I shot them all on B-8 targets, not the MR-31 called for!

Disqualified! Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Meh...those groups speak for themselves, I don't think the target had much to do with it! You still out shot me by far!

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well Richard, I think you won this round. What ideas do you have for the next one?

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I was hoping fritz would shoot with an accurate rimfire, maybe.

OK, I'll work on ideas.

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was looking forward to seeing his target on this one, too...he always comes out with some quality stuff and has the skills to leverage it. But there are definitely no rules saying he can't still shoot it and post up the results when he gets less busy (hear that fritz? The people demand a demonstration! Big Grin).

posted Hide Post
A trifecta of heavy workload at the office, a few decent snow storms at our ranch, and generally crappy weather on the weekends has prevented shooting for the past few weeks. This weekend doesn't look good either. One of these days I'll give the 50 & 100 yard challenges a go. Maybe the blind squirrel will find a nut.

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I'm not feeling very creative; let's shoot the fly targets again, so it can be done indoors or out, weather be damned.

Twenty one feet. Two matches, shoot either or both:

Match 1) Any .22 rimfire handgun or any air pistol. Any sights.

Match 2) Any full size 'service' pistol or revolver, any sights, from Yeet Cannons to Manurhin MR73's. Smile

https://www.targets.ws/shootin...andom-data-white.pdf

Practice all you need, match target twenty shots. Hit on any fly part counts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the flies being so hard to hit.

I couldn't even get my .22 sighted in. Roll Eyes

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It's a small target at 7 yards, that's for sure. I like a challenge!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
As expected, flies 7 yards is hard. There were a couple of shots that just clipped their toenails...I counted them anyway.

We did the rimfire match with my MkII...I wanted to use the new MkIV, but I'm still ironing out some bugs with that one. I got 16, Noah got 7 (his target should say MkII, not MkIV).

We did the centerfire with my old 3-screw Blackhawk in .357, shooting 148gr hollow-base wadcutters. I brought the New Model .45 Convertible along too, thinking that maybe making bigger holes would make it easier to score hits. I brought stuff for .45ACP not .45 Colt, and when I tried to load it, I discovered that the ogive on my 230gr cast bullets is too wide for the chambers and I couldn't get the rounds to seat fully into the cyclinder (They work fine in my 1911 and P245). So we didn't get to test that theory. Guess I need to plunk test the revolver cylinder as well as my semi-auto barrels when working up a load.

I got 11, Noah got 9.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Hey, that s some good shooting

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
Hi. I’m a new SigForum member. How often do new matches start, about how many shooters generally shoot, and is a rank amateur welcome? I’ve only been shooting for a little over two years, but outside of the classes that I take, I’m just throwing lead down the range. I’d like to have something to challenge me to help me improve.
Thanks in advance,

David Garlikov

Posts: 185 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Hi, welcome! We typically post up a new target/course of fire every two weeks, or thereabouts...with winter and work/life sometimes it's been a bit longer in between, but that's the goal. The shooter with the highest score from the last match picks the next one...RichardC has the current match outlined just up the page here in his post on Jan 28. Feel free to shoot that one, or if you want you can wait until we start the next one in a week or so. Either way is perfectly fine.

If you go back to page 1 in this thread, the original posts kind of outline the goals and "spirit" of what we're doing. The main goal is to have fun, but skill development is hopefully a significant secondary outcome, and I know it's been really beneficial for me to have challenges presented by the other guys that push me to try things that I likely wouldn't have considered on my own. Often, after shooting the match, I end up going back and re-shooting it again with a different approach just to see if I can find a way to do it better. I know the others have done that as well.

Skill or experience level is by no means a prerequisite for getting involved...a quick look at some of my targets should alleviate any fears in that regard Big Grin! Both Fritz and RichardC as the other regulars here have significantly more competition experience than I do, but they've been great about tolerating me and sharing pointers, and I've learned a quite a bit from shooting "with" them. My teenage son usually shoots the match, and we've had others participate as well over the course of the thread. All are welcome, any time. It's pretty informal...just trying to put rounds on paper, learn a bit, and have some fun doing it!

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much. I realize that I don’t have a snowballs chance in hell of winning, but sometimes it takes a challenge to help me to improve.

David Garlikov

Posts: 185 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to shooting "with" you!

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
How do you post the picture of the target?

David Garlikov

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
There's no way to upload photos to this form...you have to upload them to an external hosting site and then link them in. I use flikr for mine, but I think a lot of folks use imgur or other sites.

From flikr you can just copy paste the BB code into the sigforum window, but if your hosting site only provides a URL, you can click on the image icon in the toolbar at the top of the posting window and paste the URL in the drop-down and it will insert the necessary code for you.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBGarlikov:
I realize that I don’t have a snowballs chance in hell of winning, but sometimes it takes a challenge to help me to improve.

This is the first step in developing better skills. None of us begin a new activity with advanced capabilities. Push beyond your comfort zones, keep on practicing, and you might soon be surprised at the quality of your targets.

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
I’ll post my pictures tomorrow, with a 6 & 8. I could have done as well with my eyes closed because I couldn’t see the flies. I think half of my shots were aimed at previous misses.

David Garlikov