SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 67
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Greetings from Florida, DBGarlikov, and welcome to the asylum!

S&W CO2 revolver .177 Cal at 21 feet, screen patio, just starting a light sprinkle rain, two hands, single action 12/20.

Posts: 16152 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, David!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 16152 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
because I couldn’t see the flies.

Don't worry about that...I think we all did! I definitely had trouble picking out which ones I'd already shot, and which ones I hadn't.

Good shooting, guys, this was a tough one!

Posts: 9167 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
I’m doing something terribly wrong. I tried uploading with Flickr. It put a link there but not an image. I tried it with iCloud, and it put my entire iCloud album on there. I deleted it and will try again later. {{{ HELP! }}}

David Garlikov

Posts: 197 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I was able to follow the link to your flikr photos earlier and view them.

To post them to the page, I got to my flikr photostream, cleck on the image I want to post, and then click on the "Share Photo" arrow at the bottom right corner.

A little window will pop up that says "Share" "Embed" "Email" and "BBCode" across the top. Click on "BB Code". Select the size that you want from the dropdown (anything from about 800-1000 pixels is usually about right), then highlight and copy the complete URL from the top window.

Paste the copied URL into the sigforum window (all you really need is the stuff between the [img] tags, but it'll work fine if you just paste the whole thing), and post it. The picture should now show in the thread.

Posts: 9167 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Shot the .22 and centerfire parts at the indoor range, this afternoon.
Took the red dot off the S&W Victory because so frustrated with astigmatism. I still don't get the physics and physiology of why a red dot is so distorted with astigmatism, but patridge iron sights are clear, just sorta two simultaneous sight pictures to choose from. 7/20

Colt Officer's Match .38 Spec wadcutters, fired single action. 9/20

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice work Richard!

Does turning the brightness down on your red dot help bring it into focus? I also have a slight astigmatism, and some dots flare out for me pretty badly while others don't at all...but I've found that they're generally better defined if I keep the brightness set just high enough to be able to clearly see the dot.

At least, that's my technique for precise target shooting...for defensive use, I keep it cranked up and just bring the starburst into alignment between me and the target.

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
020423 P365 FLIES by David Garlikov, on Flickr
020423 TX22 FLIES by David Garlikov, on Flickr

I may have given myself more points than deserved because I counted it as a hit if the bent part of the paper touched the fly.

David Garlikov

Posts: 197 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nicely done! Looks like you got the pictures figured out, too Smile.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

Does turning the brightness down on your red dot help bring it into focus?

It helps a little. On this particular red dot, too big a jump from 'too bright' to 'can't see it".
What really helps is on the carbine, flipping up the small aperture BUS behind the red dot makes it appear much more crisp

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It's funny how the eye works...almost exactly like a camera lens. It brings to mind the old bullseye apertures that you'd attach to your shooting glasses to improve your depth of field.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBGarlikov:

I may have given myself more points than deserved because I counted it as a hit if the bent part of the paper touched the fly.

N0 problem, if you were using high velocity .22RF, the shock wave alone would have taken them out. Wink

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
EyePal pistol image by David Garlikov, on Flickr

I just bought a set of EyePals. They stick to your glasses by static and let you see both sights and the target in full focus. I haven't tried them yet. I hope that they help with my astigmatism and my red dot. https://eyepalusa.com/

David Garlikov

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Looking (heh, heh) forward to your consumer's report on the EyePal product.

Just for fun, I re shot the fly match with .38 Spec wadcutters from my 340PD using the CT Lasergrip for sighting.

7/20 Ha!

I call this technique "shooting amongst them!"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
"shooting amongst them!"

LOL, I know the feeling! I think the last time we did this we discussed just blasting it with a shotshell, and you actually tried it...I'll admit that when I was doing this I considered just grabbing the 12ga!

Enough with the flies, let's shoot something else! I hope you guys don't mind...I have a patrol rifle class coming up next week and could use some practice. I was thinking a bit of a variation on the 3x5 card drill that iirc fritz proposed a while back:

Load 2 magazines with one round each.

Starting at 7 yards, standing unsupported (slings are ok), with a 3"x5" target hung vertically, on a timer, fire one round into the target, conduct a reload, and fire one more round. Record total time.

If both rounds are on target, move the target back a yard, and repeat. Continue until one of your rounds misses your target. At that point you're done...final score is the highest yardage distance at which both rounds were on-target. Tie-breaker will be the fastest time.

The goal here is to work some administrative handling and target acquisition/precision under time stress. Hopefully the fact that there is a reload in the middle will keep anyone from running afoul of any range rules related to rate of fire.

Obviously, this is built for an AR-style rifle, but if you don't have one bring what you've got. And if you don't have a timer, shoot it anyway and just try to push yourself to do it as quickly as possible (safely!).

The target can be an actual 3x5 card, or really any paper cut to size. A contrasting backer will probably make fast acquisition easier.

Here's a printable target with some 3x5 size rectangles if you need it: https://amedia.concealedcarry....NjI5NzQxNy4wLjAuMA..

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Ok!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It started raining on us, but we got it done today. I forgot to get a picture of the rifle and it's all cleaned and racked up back in the car, so I'm not getting it back out...it's my work rifle and I think it's made an appearance in this thread before. It's a Sig M400 with a free-float handguard, Romeo 5, and Blue Force Gear sling.

I made it to 22 yards, but I was pretty slow...time was 9.31 seconds. I started out at just over 6 seconds and the times grew as I went back.

Noah went faster, but it cost him. He made it to 10 yards, with a time of 4.87 seconds.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

posted Hide Post
I don't get how one is doing the timing on this. 92fstech went to 22 yards a yard at a time, so starting at 7 y that's 15 individual runs 30 shots and 15 reloads. In 9.31 sec. huh?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11149 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Each attempt is timed separately. The time of the furthest attempt is the one that counts. I took 9.31 seconds to make 2 hits on target, with a reload in the middle, at 22 yards. Pretty slow, I know, but it took me some time to aim in at that range.

Yeah, it would be an interesting exercise to time the whole thing, but the logistics of doing that in different range environments with different equipment, rules, and restrictions isn't really viable for this (plus you'd need a ton of mags to do the whole thing on the clock!). Honestly, the time component on this one is more to instill a sense of urgency and pressure and prevent it from becoming a slow-fire accuracy drill than it is to be a measurable metric.