SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 67
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Superlative!

Posts: 16233 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBGarlikov:
Outstanding shooting. Was it fun?

It was! There's something about having to remain consistent across 15 rounds that is quite a challenge. I only had two mags, too, so I wasn't sure what I was going to do if I missed...I could feel the pressure building as I got further along thinking "Don't miss now or you'll screw the whole thing up!" lol.

I do have a bit of an emotional struggle with the P320. Although it's a fantastic duty gun, it's a soulless polymer appliance and lacks the classic appeal of some of the older designs that I own. On the other hand, it's the platform I use for work and as such I want to be as proficient with it as possible. Often I shoot it more out of that sense of obligation rather than for pure enjoyment. A challenge like this, though, that really leverages it's capabilities makes it fun!

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I have been following this thread for a long time and have enjoyed seeing people's results.

The billiard ball challenge motivated me to come up with something you all might find sort of fun and useful.

I set up 2 web pages to generate targets.
The first one displays 5 rows of 5 circles with a random number from 1 through 25 in each circle.

The first one displays 4 rows of 4 circles with a random number from 1 through 16 in each circle.

Each time you reload the page, the numbers will display in a different order.
Printing the page in portrait mode should keep all the circles on a single sheet of paper.

https://codejanitor.net/targets/5x5
https://codejanitor.net/targets/4x4

Let me know if you find this useful or if improvements can be made. Smile

Posts: 4162 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's pretty awesome! Definitely adds a new challenge, as I think we've all noted that the current target gets easier the more times you shoot it since you start to learn where the next number is supposed to be. Randomizing the numbers adds an element of "hunting" that you lose shooting the same target over and over. Thanks for putting that together...I'm going to use it!

Honestly, I think we could run this same challenge again for the next match using the randomized targets. We could use the 4x4 target, and load two mags with 8 rounds each (plus a third in case of a miss...so a miss would cost an extra reload). You should shoot it with us!

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
So I took the boys to the range today, and decided I had to give this a go while we were there. I'm not sure what happened, but it kinda blew my hypothesis apart.

I had to shoot it twice, with two different randomized targets, because my youngest was running the timer and accidentally reset it at the end of my first run. I ended up shooting it almost 2 seconds faster than the pool ball target, even though the numbers were randomized, there's an extra ball in there, and I missed the 14 so I had to do a second reload. I'm confused.

On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
92fstech, I’m glad you had a chance to try it out.
You make it look easy.

What if we add a second smaller circle and any hit in the smaller circle is scored as a 10 and a hit in the outer circle is scored as a 5?

I need to get to the range and try this out.

Posts: 4162 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
Or, possibly keep the target as is, but move it to 15 or 20 feet. (Groan)

Posts: 197 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I agree with David...probably "easier" (as in less complicated) to just shoot it from further back.

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
What distance are we shooting the 4 x 4 frompg. I haven’t shot the randomized targets yet, but now, instead of doing laundry Tuesday, I’m going to the range. It doesn’t take much for me to get out of laundry day.

Posts: 197 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
https://codejanitor.net/targets/5x5
https://codejanitor.net/targets/4x4

Let me know if you find this useful or if improvements can be made. Smile

I find it very interesting and very useful. I'm going to the range today (10/10) to try my skill. I know I can hit the numbers in sequence, but my time will suck for sure. Thanks for making this. You don't need to lurk and watch. Come shoot with us!

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
Numbers by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/197634365@N04/]
I wasn't going to post this after seeing fstech's time, however, if I figured my handicap correctly, it should turn my 78.53 into 31.27. That being the case I feel pretty good.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's a nice clean target David, good shooting!

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
It’s a lot better than the one I shot the next day.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBGarlikov:
Where can we post something to get more people interested in what we are doing.

That’s a good question.

I open this thread from time to time, but unless one follows it carefully and sometimes literally several times a day, it is difficult to get involved with the challenges. The vast majority of posts are pictures of shooting results and discussions about them. There will be one post that describes the challenge and then several pages that don’t and it can be hard to find the original description. I also seem to remember that sometimes additional posts clarify something about the challenge and they may not show up until much later.

The results and discussions are obviously the entire purpose of the efforts, but it would be very helpful to have a separate thread that just explains what the challenges are. I know that would annoy some people who hate to see more than one thread about a single subject, but perhaps it would be possible to get a special dispensation in this case. Suggestions to consider:

“SIGforum ‘postal matches’ descriptions and explanations.” That thread would make it clear that results and discussions were to be posted here:
“SIGforum ‘postal matches’ results and discussions.”

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47751 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
sigfreund , thank you for the suggestions.

It might require a "sticky" thread; not sure that would be acceptable, but it might be the best way to attract more shooters.

Maybe there is a technical way to link a thread within a thread. We could ask parabellum.
Maybe an effective compromise⁷ would be to start a match within the existing thread with a standardized

title/search terms post, all in red bold font like:

POSTAL MATCH sample DESCRIPTION

B-8 targets, fifty feet, start from holster or low ready, ten shots, par time 30 seconds, centerfire pistol any sights. Shoot 3 targets for total 30 shots.

Scoring is total score, possible 300 minus one point for each second past par time.

Posts: 16233 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
Why couldn’t there be a link to the target and a link to the results & discussion page in the description?

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
title/search terms post, all in red bold font like:

That would be pretty good if an alternative isn't possible, and maybe the best. It would make it easy to find the relevant posts with a quick scan.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47751 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The red font is a good idea. A separate thread could work as well...I just didn't want to clutter up the board any more than absolutely necessary, but I can see how this thread has gotten sort of hard to follow. I definitely know nothing about moderating a forum...I'd defer to Para as to how he'd prefer for us to proceed.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Whatever we come up with, everyone better take a step back from 92fstech if he's shooting that P320, you don't know if he might drop it at just the wrong angle.

'NomSayin ?

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Hey, it can be a feature Big Grin!

Seriously, though, I think using the red font for the match descriptions is probably the best solution, as it won't clutter up the board with extra threads.

Sorry I've been a bit delinquent lately. Work has been busy...was in for 10 hours today on my "day off", including 7 hours on the range. By some miracle everybody left with the same number of holes they came with, despite there being a bunch of P320s in use Big Grin!

I even got to shoot my 870 some, which always brings a smile to my face...we need to incorporate a shotgun into the postal match sometime!