SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Only shot the match once indoor range, no timer, expensive frangible ammo required.

3 out.

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15833 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Not bad for shooting it cold and only having one go at it. My first run with the AR was rough! I'm digging the stainless Mini...what optic is that?

Posts: 8390 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
92fstech, its an Illusion by Laseraim brand, as ancient as the Mini itself.

Posts: 15833 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's retro-fabulous right there...I love it!

Posts: 8390 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
expensive frangible ammo required

Ugh. Mongo no like frangible ammo.

I intended to practice the 2x4 card thingie again over the weekend. The forecast was for rain & snow both days. Got up early on Saturday and the forecast changed to rain on Sunday, with just breezy conditions on Saturday. OK, game on, hustle out to the ranch.

Breezy, my ass. 20-ish mph steady winds, with gusts in the 30-40 mph ballpark. Shooting quickly became a no-go.

But as always, there were trees to cut. This POS old snag was 32" diameter in the base. A travel hazard in this relatively flat portion of a gully, it needed to go. I left the big logs where they fell, and carried the 12" diameter and smaller wood downstream 30-40 yards to a badly eroded area. The frickin' wind blew sawdust onto/into every body part. I've had more enjoyable days.

Do we ever need some rain around here. Red flag fire warnings almost every week. Found 2 more mature pines that lost the battle to pine beetles.

Posts: 7845 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Windy or not, I still envy your landscape! We've had our share of wind here, too...it just won't stop this year. Took the boat out last week for the first time this year and got blown all over the lake, and a few days before that we had sustained of 25-30mph with 50+mph gusts. I had to chase the trash cans around the neighborhood, but thankfully no other damage to our place.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Alright, I think this one has run it's course. Fritz, congrats on the win! What do you have for us next?

posted Hide Post
Variations on a theme, going back to offgrid's drill on page 15 of this thread.

Centerfire handgun -- any caliber, any type, any sights. Glock, DA/SA Sig, SA revolver, DA/SA revolver, 1911 -- go for it.

Two targets, based on letter-sized paper.
#1 -- Half sheet (5.5" wide by 8.5" tall) at 5 yards.
#2 -- Full sheet (8.5" wide by 11" tall) at 15 yards.
Three shots at each target -- alternating #1, #2, #1, #2, #1, #2. Total of six shots per run.

Start low ready, like offgrid's picture in the middle of page 15.
Timed from the beep to the shot, for both targets, for all six shots.
Don't worry about time between shots at targets #1 and #2. This allows everyone to move back & forth between targets, in case you're at a public range with target restrictions.

Scoring is first from the number of hits on paper. Of course 6 hits is optimal. Tie breaking is the average time for all shots in the 6-shot run. Meaning that a score of 6 hits with an average time of 1.5 seconds beats a score of 5 hits with a average time of .7 seconds.

Three runs at the course of fire, taking your best score from those three runs.

Posts: 7845 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, we went to the range tonight hoping to shoot some rifles, but the rifle bay was being used for an event so that was out. We went ahead and gave this a go instead. No pics of the target because everything was soaking wet and pretty torn up by the time we were done, but did record the results.

I got to go to the Sig Pistol Mounted Optics Instructor Course last week for work, and really struggled with my speed. I was accurate, but am still having a few issues with acquiring the dot consistently and quickly. As such, I've been putting in any time I can on that gun since, so it was the choice tonight as well. When we got done with the postal match course, I did some more runs from the holster, and was encouraged that my times and accuracy improved some over how I did in the course. I've still got work to do, but it was good to have another opportunity to practice.

I managed 6/6 hits all three times, with my fastest run averaging 1.05 Seconds.

Noah's best was 5/6 hits with an average of 1.46 seconds.

And the tool of choice:

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I managed 6/6 hits all three times, with my fastest run averaging 1.05 Seconds.

Noah's best was 5/6 hits with an average of 1.46 seconds.

Nice shooting.
My experience with timed pistol shooting is limited, so I really didn't have a good idea what times for this course of fire might be. I thought 1.5 seconds average might be possible. I hope to get a chance to try this weekend.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the time standards from the class last week were 1.25 from the low ready and 2.0 from the holster into an 8" circle at five yards. These are easily achievable for me with iron sights, but I'm still fighting some gremlins with presenting the dot consistently (but slowly getting better!).

The holster was a whole separate issue. My old 6360 is broken in nicely and the gun comes out like greased butter. I got my new RDS-capable 6360 a couple of days before the class, and even though the drawstroke is the same, it's sticky as heck and doesn't want to release the gun smoothly. It doesn't help that it's designed for a full-size gun, and I'm trying to use a carry-size gun it at the moment, because Sig still hasn't made delivery on our new full-size 320s that we ordered almost 4 months ago Mad.

For the course of fire here, I found that my times on the 15 yard target were roughly equivalent to those on the 5 yard target, despite it only being 2x the size at 3x the distance. This seems to indicate that my bottleneck is still dot acquisition. Once I have it, I'm golden...it's just that initial acquisition.

posted Hide Post
First of all, dry firing while watching TV has helped. I give credit to the PGA golf tournaments.

I decided not to go for a safe 6/6 1st time, then go for speed with 2nd & 3rd tries. I tried to shoot as quickly as possible from the start, then see what happens.

I started with the Sig P6 in DA. First & second tries were 5/6. Third was 6/6 with an average time of 1.09 seconds -- this is my official time for this week's match. In a trend that appeared with all attempts, my 5 yard times were noticeably faster than my 15 yard times.

With that done, on to play time -- the P6 in SA. Way faster, better accuracy. I hit 6/6 on the first try with an average time of .86 seconds. Mongo like SA trigger. One and done -- don't think I could do any better than this with additional attempts.

On the the Glock 17. I haven't shot this pistol in awhile, which means for me that the "Glock trigger pull" yanks to the left were way too common. It took me 5 attempts to get a 6/6 score, with an average time of 1.03 seconds. The arrow is good, but the Indian needs some work.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thats good shooting Fritz, especially with a P6 in DA. I went to the range with one of my guys from work yesterday evening and while I was waiting on him to show up I tried this drill with my P6. I only had time for one run though, but it was far from clean. That DA pull is nasty.

posted Hide Post
I hoped to practice this drill with the Glock 17 over the weekend, but it wasn't in the cards. I find the G17 more challenging to shoot well. Definitely need more live ammo and dry fire practice.

Back in 2015 I set up one of our ranch's largest erosion gullies as a target area for pistols, rim fire, and 300blk subsonic. The gully is maybe 10 feet deep, 30-40 feet wide at the rims, about 100 yards long. The trees in the gully were really hosed by the snow and winds of early 2019. Now that I've finished the first stage of clearing wood from our main seasonal stream bed, it's on to the contributory gullies. Here's what parts of the gully looked like in late 2015:

I cleared maybe 15 yards of the gully and its side banks on Sunday, right about where the first picture was taken. Was exhausted -- in horse terms, rode hard and put away wet. Had my massage therapist work on me yesterday -- "WTF did you do to your back and shoulders?" The conditions near the second picture are really bad, as there are downed trees and branches everywhere. Ugh. Maybe I'll have this area back to being a usable range by late in the summer.

But I also spray-paint marked 3 new big trees that are either dead or not long for this world. I'm getting tired of seeing our forested areas getting hit by beetles and drought. This big dude is in main creek bed, next to the blow down I cut up in January on page 15 of this thread. With the needles on the middle branches going brown, it's near the end. I didn't measure it, but suspect the trunk is close to 3' in diameter. Probably 70' tall, likely 150-200 years old.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That looks like work, but I love the layout you have there...kind of a woods walk sort of setup. I've got a friend who has a couple of acres that he's managed to squeeze a similar course out of, plus a 10 yard and 25 yard pistol range. Its kind of a dream of mine to have enough property to do something similar, but I'm not sure the neighbors would appreciate me doing something like that on my current half acre lot lol.

I agree, it's sad to be losing mature trees, especially before their time to beetles or disease. I've got a couple of big maples out front that will probably have to go at some point, and it's gonna be a sad day when they do.

I spent most of today working on the in-law's house. Got some kitchen cabinets installed, counter mounted and cut for the sink. Also ran my daily mile and a half and then walked another four with my wife, wearing a pack. My wife is headed to Portugal next month to walk the St. James Way, so we've been trying to get her trained up for that. I'm hoping to get out in the woods and do some backpacking trips myself this year, too, but the work schedule hasn't allowed for it so far.

I think we're about due for another postal match stage. I thought this might be fun...I was at a class a few weeks ago with some other guys from work, and being rural amish country Indiana, there were naturally quite a few flies around. Occasionally, one would land on your target, and well, for some of us the temptation was just too much. I think the instructors were wondering by the end of the day why our otherwise nicely grouped targets had some really oddball fliers way outside the scoring ring, lol.

So for this week, from 7 yards, you get 20 rounds. Kill as many flies as you can, using a handgun that you regularly carry for self-defense. Any sights, any platform, any caliber, but the spirit of the challenge is to do it with a practical-type handgun, not a bullseye competiotion piece. Flies are pretty fragile, so a hit anywhere on the fly counts as a kill.

Target can be downloaded here: https://www.targets.ws/shootin...andom-data-white.pdf

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Kill as many flies as you can

Well that just looks like a frickin' blast, given my crappy vision and iron sights....

Do you have a preferred ballpark time limit -- either per shot or all 20?

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
No time limit on this one. I'm probably going to try and shoot it with a consistent cadence as I've been working reset under recoil lately and am finding that when done right it reduces my tendency to jerk and throw shots. We'll see how that plays out on something like this...I haven tried it yet.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Three flies with the mousegun, cold turkey.

Six flies with the Hammer of Thor, cold turkey.

Bet my scores would be higher if I aimed between the flies. Big Grin

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice work, Richard! I imagine this one is gonna be tough...maybe I should use rat shot Big Grin!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Noah and I shot it today. Official targets are both cold turkey...I used my P245 and since Noah can't carry, I let him pick whatever he wanted. He went with the 1911. I figured shooting it with a .45, I'd get bigger holes and improve my chances for hits Big Grin.

I kinda improved as I went along...the first few shots were pretty far off and then I figured out the hold. 7 yards made this pretty tough...those flies are small!

I shot it with both the 1911 and the new red-dot equipped P320 duty gun after shooting it with my P245, and didn't do as well with either of those as I did with the P245 cold.

Me: 10 Flies

Noah: 7 Flies