SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 67
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
OK. Brain is stuck in neutral.

I'll come up with something,
likely for PCC's as offgrid suggested a couple weeks ago.

Posts: 16152 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
For Pistol Caliber Carbines: any centerfire caliber, any barrel length, any sights, slings permitted. No bench, sandbag or bipods. Shooting practice targets for sight adjustment is OK.

For scoring, if there is a tie, irons beat 1X optics beat magnified optics.

https://targets4free.com/wp-co...onal-Target-15yd.pdf

I've been wanting to do an Appleseed event some weekend.
Lets do a simple Appleseed exercise.

Print and post the target at fifty feet.
As it directs, fire three shots on each target, standing, then sitting or kneeling, then prone.

If this works out OK, we can maybe find free Appleseed targets for longer distances for another match.

Note: When I print the target page, the standing target is about 12cm across the base of the '3' zone.

Posts: 16152 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice! I've been wanting to try an Appleseed for years. This should be fun!

Posts: 9166 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We shot it today. I used my Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt with a Williams peep and fiber-optic front sight, and Noah wanted my 9mm CMMG RDB AR build with the Holosun 407c.

I managed a 39...that front sight post was like 3x the size of the prone target at 50 feet so you kind had to guess if it was centered. Turns out I was a hair right.

Noah shot a 24. His prone group was decent, just a hair low, and he had a flier on the kneeling stage.

Posts: 9166 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very nice, 92fstech! I think those targets are best shot with a post front sight and six O'Clock hold. Like on service rifles.

My indoor range wouldn't let me shoot from kneeling and prone. Times and people change.

I'll have to wait for next weekend to try the outdoor range.

posted Hide Post
As usual, chainsaw work in the morning -- battery saw, didn't feel too beat up. Used my Wilson Combat AR9G, with Vortex 1-4x scope. Seriously doubt my capabilities with iron sights on those targets -- glad I have a LPVO. Shot standing & sitting at roughly 3x, then slung prone at 4x.

After doing well on standing, it was pretty much "hold my beer". I was confident sitting would go well. Prone with sling was less stable than I remember -- I probably shoot too much from bipod and rear bag. That prone target is really small.

I intended to practice on multiple targets with the 3x5 index cards at 3-25 yards, but I forgot to include the shot timer. So it was back to chainsaw duty in the afternoon. First really warm day in a few weeks around here. Significant snow melting, pastures were pretty muddy at the end of the day.

Posts: 7984 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Fritz, especially on the sitting stage. I've always struggled with finding a stable position when sitting/kneeling. I'm pretty tall, all arms and legs, and very inflexible.

Finally warming up here, too. Almost 40 today and everything is melting. It's turned the range into a giant mud pit (prone and sitting were fun...we took a tarp), but at least I can take my morning run without worrying about slipping on ice and breaking my neck Big Grin!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
( I hope frontrange uses his MP5)

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Haha hey that wasn’t me with the MP5 earlier but, doggone it, if I had one I’d be using it! Smile

Hoping to get back in the swing of these matches soon otherwise! Love seeing the pics of the ongoing fun / work!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6730 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Haha hey that wasn’t me with the MP5 earlier but, doggone it, if I had one I’d be using it! Smile

Hoping to get back in the swing of these matches soon otherwise! Love seeing the pics of the ongoing fun / work!

Good to see you back! Smile

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you!

Posts: 6730 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, I think it's that time again. Fritz, great shooting! What have you got for us?

posted Hide Post
Let's revisit the challenge on page 17 of this thread.

"Please download and print this 2013 US Coast Guard Transitional Target image:
https://shop.actiontarget.com/...nsitional-target.asp
If it works, the dimensions of the outboard should be about 9 1/2" tall and 7 3/16" front to back. Scoring is as shown on my printout, the center oval ( 1 3/4" wide) is a 'ten.'"

It's motorboating time, and we all know that goes best with a pair. So....two targets, because the bad guy's drug boat is a twin outboard. You sneak up over land to said boat, and you only have a handgun. You must take out both motors. Pretty casual slow fire on the 1st engine, but they hear your first 6 shots and you must put another 6 on the 2nd engine quickly. Otherwise, they get away on one motor.

Here's the drill:
- From 25 feet, any handgun, any caliber, any sights, off-hand (i.e. standing, no barrier support, no need to draw from holster).
- 6 shots on the first target at a casual pace. No need for a shot timer, but try to keep cadence of no more than 5 or 6 seconds between shots.
- You can pause for a few seconds, or reload, but in just a few seconds you must transition to the second target.
- 6 shots on the second target at a fast pace. No shot timer, but try for 1 second between shots.
- Score the targets same as we did on page 17.
The 2 targets should be right next to each other. Or separate them by a few inches -- I don't care.

Give us your best motorboat.

Posts: 7984 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sweet, we'll give it a go!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
fritz, my wife is a good sport, but when I told her why I needed her to come to the range with me, she just rolled her eyes, shook her head gently and smiled the kind of smile you give a well-loved but simple child. You know. Short bus rider. Big Grin

Fifty six on the slow fire, 52 on the rapid fire target. Pardini GT-45, with 185GR FMJ.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Richard! And yeah, it's been years since I've been able to convince my wife to come to the range wih me...so if yours actually went, you're doing better than me, even if she did give you the "short-bus" look!

ETA: I had to look up that Pardini...I'm ashamed to say I'd never seen or heard of one. That's an amazing piece of shooting iron you have there!

We got out today, the weather was finally warm again (high 40s) and it was a weekend, so it was kinda busy. I didn't get to zero my '03-A3 with the new front sight, but we did get to shoot the match, and then tenderized our palms with some really hot-loaded .44 Magnums afterwards, just for fun.

We both ran it with my Springfield Loaded Stainless. It was super windy, and the target backers kept blowing horizontal, so we each had to wait at one point during our rapid-fire stages for them to present again, but we got it done.

I got a 54 and a 51. Noah shot a 50 and an 18.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
92fstech, Nice targets and nice pistol!

posted Hide Post
RichardC -- short bus, solo motorboating. Sad.

Used the dinosaur P6, because I was too lazy to open the safe. Single action only, as the DA trigger pull sucks. 58 on slow fire, 48 on fast fire.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The P6 comes through!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
the DA trigger pull sucks.

As the owner of a P6, I completely agree with this statement! I even put a P225 mainspring in mine, and it's still way heavier than the DA pull on my P229 or P245. It is still a great shooting gun, though, and the grip feels like it was made for my hand. It seems it works just fine for you as well Big Grin...nice shooting!