SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, FrontRange...you've got me beat! This one was hard. I shot a practice round, and immediately asked myself why I brought the 3" J-Frame instead of the 5.5" single-six...that dot is tiny, and sight radius is your friend! Nevertheless, it was fun, and my son really got into it, too. He managed to tie dad (maybe even beat me depending upon if that one shot on the edge of the neck counts or not), so he was pretty proud Big Grin.

My target with the S&W 63-5 (I think that one at the back of the neck is half on....but the one at the base of the neck is below the line and counts as a miss):

Son's target with his Ruger Wrangler:

I score both as 16, but you guys can rule if my neck shot is half on or not.

And just becasue it was there, and the dumb Turkey pissed me off, I decided to shoot him with a .44 Mag, because it's twice a .22 and thus ought to make him twice as dead Big Grin.

Posts: 8393 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Good work, guys!

"A turkey in every freezer!" --- not Herbert Hoover

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Indeed, this challenge was harder than I’d expected, though I have a demonstrated history of underestimating these stages until I run the target out to distance haha!

Nice shooting, 92, and love that .44 work, also - instant ground-turkey haha!

Love that not-Hoover quote, Richard LOL!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
".44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your turkey's head clean off!"

Big Grin

Posts: 8393 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^^ LOL!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I hope to get to the range this afternoon or tomorrow.

Not sure if I can bring home the bird.

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post

Big Grin

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
92fstech, that's hilarious and brings back memories...
I used to do that with the indoor housed turkeys back in Auburn.

Brought S&W 317 with CCI "Quiet" ammo.

Saw the turkey, got buck fever. I think its a twelve but at least I brought home a turkey.

I did have a backup plan, just in case:

So, I shot my backup plan target just to see. didn't do much better. Big Grin
(I was prepared to console myself with a shot of Wild Turkey)

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yup, you put thanksgiving dinner on the table! Nice 317, too! I like my 63, and was happy to find it after browsing gun stores for an affordable DA revolver in .22LR for over a year...but I think, especially in low recoil rimfire calibers, the lightweight model is more practical. Yours is truly a handy little kit gun that you could throw in a pocket and forget all about!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Nice gun and bagging of the bird AND the backup SPAM haha! Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Riding to the Steel Challenge match this morning, I saw one big ol Tom by his lonely self and 1/4 mile later a flock of about 8 youngsters.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Coming back from the range Friday I had a whole flock of them fly out of the trees on one side of the road, go over my car, and land in the field on the other side. They're cool birds, and I enjoy seeing them.

Fun turkey story: One time at work we got a call about a turkey hen freaking out in a shopping center. It was flying into buildings, attacking it's reflection in the windows, chasing people around, and just generally being a nuisance. By the time we got there, it had gone under this lady's car and wouldn't come out.

We tried getting everybody to move back and give it a chance to leave on it's own, but it wasn't having it. Lady wanted to leave, so it had to come out. Of course by this time phones are coming out and people are filming the debacle unfolding in front of them in the parking lot. One of the city guys got his collapsible baton and poked at it from one side and got it to move close enough to the other side that I was able to grab it just below the head. It resisted, I felt something pop, and I thought "oh no, I just decapitated this thing right here in front of all these people!"

Thankfully what I felt must have been a joint expanding or something, because the bird was fine, and I was able to reposition to grab it by the legs, got it out from under the car, carried to the woods behind the shopping center and let it go. It promptly ran off into the woods, none the worse for wear. But yeah...that was the time I almost got to be youtube famous for causing the in-custody death of an emotionally disturbed turkey in a parking lot. It's also the most productive use of a collapsible baton that I've ever seen!

So back to the postal match...I know we normally let it run for two weeks, but all of us who have been participating are done and I haven't seen any indication of anyone else jumping in (although if anyone wants to, they are always welcome!), so if you guys want we could move on to the next one. TheFrontRange, I believe you have the honors this week, sir!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Hey, I’ll leave it up to my match cohorts on leaving it open longer or closing it out - I’m good with either direction.

I’ll personally have a somewhat short “range window” this week before being pretty much indisposed range-trip-wise until just after Thanksgiving. I can either come up with something by tomorrow for the next round or let it ride a bit if we keep this session open and let one of y’all pick the next course o’ fire.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Why don't you come up with something now, and we'll let the next one run for 3 weeks (Dec 7), so folks have time to shoot it. I'll also be busy over the holidays, and I imagine we aren't the only ones, so a little extra time would be helpful anyway.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Shall-do - will post it up by tomorrow at the latest!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sweet! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
How about a slight variation on the first two matches, a’la…

* Standard B8 target (printable link below).
* Ten (10) yards to target.
* Centerfire handgun of shooter’s choice.
* Double-taps / controlled pairs / hammers / two-shot bursts or whatever you want to call them Smile times THREE (six rounds total).
* No formal time requirement; a reasonable “defensive” pace of fire, if you will, at the shooter’s comfort level and in keeping with any pace-of-fire range restrictions.
* Draw and fire each set of two rounds from concealment if possible / allowable, again dependent on shooter’s available gear and / or range restrictions on working from a holster; if no holster or holster-work not allowed, start each two-shot string from low-ready.
* Score target as normal.

How does this sound to Postal Match Hive? Smile

Link to printable target:

https://targets4free.com/nra-b8-target/

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sounds great! Looking forward to getting out and shooting it!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very good.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys! I’m seeing now I might not get to shoot this one until after Thanksgiving myself, but will make it happen by the 12/7 timeframe.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheFrontRange,