SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 67
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Love that M1 and nice work despite the dreaded floater, man!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6730 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Wow that's a group to be proud of there in the middle...especially since it sounds like the rifle and eyes were giving you some fits today. Fliers happen, but there was definitely some good marksmanship there! At 100 yards and beyond, the paper always just looks like a white blob resting on my front sight...I end up just watching the sights and praying everything else is consistent, lol.

Nice looking M1...we need some details!

Posts: 9167 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Nice shootin'. Doubt I could do that well with open sights these days.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Its a Civilian Marksmanship Program M1 Garand Service Grade rifle I got 3 1/2 years ago, after observing the "military rifles" matches at our club a few times.

And of course, those matches kind of disappeared during the Dempanic of the last couple years. Its some corollary of Murphy's Law. I participate in really enjoyable gun matches, decide after holding off for more than reasonable cooling off periods, then get a gun suitable, and the match schedule fizzles. * whine, snivel* Big Grin

Posts: 16152 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Lol, yeah, that's the way my life usually goes, too. But at least you had a suitable rifle to participate in our high-brow postal match here Big Grin. What mfg is your Garand? Any idea of the born-on date?

Posts: 9167 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Springfield Armory, April 1944, if I am reading the guide correctly. The wood is newer with the CMP cartouche on it.

https://myplace.frontier.com/~...corapinski/id11.html

Posts: 16152 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Cool! I have a pair of CMP Springfields...a service grade from Aug 1941, and a special rack grade from Nov 1942. Both are wearing those CMP reproduction stocks. I was a little disappointed to not get GI wood with the service grade, but it's hard to be upset because the CMP stocks are so nice.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Which one are you going to shoot?

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm planning to shoot the '41. The '42, being a "special" has a new production Criterion barrel on it. This makes it a slightly better shooter (although neither is bad), and as such it gets more of my range time. The '41 has a GI barrel on it ('54 H&R IIRC), so it's more of a true mil-surp, which makes it a better fit for this challenge, methinks. Plus it's an excuse to give it some range time. Maybe I'll take both and let my son shoot the other one.

We're back from FL, I'm off work tomorrow, and it's not supposed to rain, so I'm hoping to get out and get it done. The "new" used bolt assembly for my Glenfield 70 also came while we were gone, so I need to take it out and see if it fixed my light-strike problems.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I like the Father/Son approach.

M1's are fun.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It was a beautiful day today, and we got out and shot it. We ended up just taking the 1941 Garand to save on cleaning time (aka my son didn't want to have to clean one!).

We spent a little time getting the zero dialed in before shooting for score. I forgot my binoculars, so there was a good bit of walking between stages, and lots of unloading and partial-loading the Garand. I got lazy and employed an improper technique at one point loading a partial clip, and paid the price:

Managed to get some blood on my target while I was hanging it, too...not sure if that makes it more manly or just stupid, lol. Anyway, here's mine, tagged with DNA for verification:

1 - X, 2 - 10, 2 - 8 = 46

And my son's:

2 - 9, 2 - 8, 1 - 0 = 34

And the finger-eater:

I love shooting this gun! Big Grin

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Excellent shooting and that's a most authentic M1 Garand target!

With digit-origin blood. Smile Inspirational.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Good shooting, indeed, with an element of Bloodsport for emphasis!

I’m likely to not make this round of the match, even unofficially as planned. I’ve had to devote recent range-time to working out a bug on one handgun and otherwise working with a couple of others.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6730 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
Good shooting, indeed, with an element of Bloodsport for emphasis!

I’m likely to not make this round of the match, even unofficially as planned. I’ve had to devote recent range-time to working out a bug on one handgun and otherwise working with a couple of others.

Thanks! We'll miss you, but I totally understand...I've got a couple of gun projects in the works myself. There's always the next one Smile.

quote:
With digit-origin blood. Smile Inspirational.

Yeah...I've owned a Garand for 3-ish years now, and this is only the second time I've done that. But then again, I usually shoot full clips and don't mess around with partial-loading. Figure's I'd do it the one time I'm posting a target!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
92fstech, we eagerly await the next marksmanship challenge. Smile

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
So since there's pretty much only 3 of us that have been consistently shooting these, I'll ask you two...how do you feel about some timed drills? Is that something your range allows?

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
We used to be able to, but with the tremendous demographic change toward new/inexperienced shooters, I'm not sure. Will check.
Like a Bill Drill?

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was thinking some draw and fire stuff with a time limit, just to make things interesting. But if you can't, no big deal...we can keep it fundamentals based. I'd rather do that than exclude anybody. Check and let me know...maybe we can do something timed for the next one. I'll come up with something that isn't for tomorrow.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
For this week, let's steal one from Tom Givens's September rangemaster newsletter. I like dot torture, and it's not timed so hopefully it won't cause anyone to run afoul of their range's rules. If you're not allowed to draw from the holster, just shoot those stages from the low ready.

Typically this is a 50 round drill, but I know ammo is tight right now and Tom has put together a 25 round version that cuts that in half. I say let's shoot it at 5 yards, any centerfire handgun, your choice. Instructions and link to the target are in the PDF. Have fun!

ETA: We're using the modified (25rd) course of fire described in the PDF for this one, so disregard the instructions on the target itself and use the ones in the PDF. The instructions on the target are for the traditional 50rd dot torture drill.

https://rangemaster.com/wp-con..._RFTS-Newsletter.pdf

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
For bulls 9 & 10, what is a 'Speed Reload'?