SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very nice, both of you!

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Indeed, there is some fine shooting in this thread and in this most recent match.

I gave it a whirl Friday, and I’ll just say that my results were abysmal LOL. If I can give this match another go before it closes out I will.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I can give this match another go before it closes out I will

Please do! From what I've seen of your revolver and 1911 collection, I'm intrigued to see what you bring out for a rimfire match. And don't be ashamed to post anything up here...heck, last week I dumped one all the way off the target, so you definitely won't hear any judgement from me Big Grin!

quote:
Very nice, both of you!

Thanks Richard. Looking forward to seeing yours...sounds like you've got something with a dot, and that might be just the ticket for the precision this one demands.

If anybody else out there wants to jump in, the more the merrier! Only cost to join is a piece of printer paper and 20 rounds of .22!

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Hoping to get to the range this weekend.

Edited to add:
In the meantime, I'm looking for cardboard backer material, in case the foam backers at the range are all shot to pieces (for cleaner holes).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Well, while my results the second time out on this were somewhat less abysmal than the first, they are still not that great. I ran this a couple of times at 5 yards first as a warmup, then out to 7 for the real thing. I was off-target at first, found my groove a bit mid-way, then veered more off-course again haha…still, it was fun and I think I’m going to keep working this one for fun and skill-building anyway.

Gun is a 1947-vintage Smith & Wesson K-22, a gun clearly capable of a greater performance than this haha. Shots were taken double-action. Oddly, I found single-action work with this gun uncomfortable. I never shoot my DA revolvers SA so perhaps that’s just one more thing to work on.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting FrontRange, and nice classic K-22.

Sometimes, I've shot better groups DA than SA with a revolver.

Must be forcing me to pay better attention to the fundamentals.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, FrontRange! This one definitely ended up being more challenging than it initially sounded. Good on you for running this one with a revolver (that's a beutiful K-22, by the way)! Now I kind of want to go back out and try it with my model 63.

I'm with you on the double-action accuracy, too...I've experienced the same thing. A nice, smooth double-action pull forces you to concentrate on pulling through the trigger at a consistent pace, while a short single-action is easier to anticipate the break and introduce a jerk.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
TheFrontRange inspired me to try it with a revolver, so I took the 63-5 with me to the range today. Yeah, that was rough! Especially that third one. Not sure what happened there, but it's right at the top right under the grip of the gun. I guess if you're gonna miss, you might as well miss big! Big Grin

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Heck, man, that’s alright and I like that wheelgun!

I’m looking forward to getting back on the range to keep working this process.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I took my old H&R 929 Sidekick revolver to the range yesterday, but in practice I could hardly see see the circle dot targets with the glasses I had, and the white painted front sight made it hopeless. Those glasses have the left eye focused on infinity and the right (my master eye) focused at arm's length. I use them all the time for IDPA, Steel Challenge, Bowling Pins and other games.

This afternoon, I used a S&W Victory with a Burris FastFire red dot, both eyeglass lenses focused on infinity. I could see well enough to shoot the match after a practice target. I moved the roofing nail fasteners up fro the bottom to above the last row so the wide plastic rims wouldn't eclipse the lower corner bulls. ( I accidentally shot them during the practice but didn't get the stinkeye from the range officer Smile )

I scored it down six and 3X's. Double check me, please.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Nice shootin’!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice Shooting! I concur, 17 points...hit 14 in the ring, and 3 of those are dot hits (double points).

Lol @ shooting the nails. Been there done that...I've also taken some to the range before in a piece of 2x4 and tried to drive them into the board by shooting them, just for fun. I seem to be better at hitting them when I'm not trying to...Razz.

Current Standings (let me know if I missed anything):
92FSTech - 19
RichardC - 17
TheFrontRange - 13
Son of 92FSTech - 8

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well I'm in Florida on vacation and almost forgot it was Tuesday! So what to do next...

The weather is nice and I was thinking it might be fun to do some rifle stuff. How about military surplus rifles, iron sights only, 5 rounds from 100 yards prone or off a bench at the old B-8 ( https://targets4free.com/nra-b8-target/)? If you don't have a mil-surp rifle, any iron-sighted rifle will do.

If you guys don't have access to a 100 yard range, let me know and we can change it up. I don't want anyone to get left out due to facilities limitations.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Nice (and happy vacationing, by the way)!

I’ll give this one an unofficial go, as my local range is indoors with only 50 yards available on the long-gun “side.”

Please don’t change the course of fire just for me. My rifle repertoire is slim; I’ll be using a Frankengun that does a reasonable impersonation of an XM177, complete with an 11.5-inch barrel with a pinned / welded “flash suppressor” to take the total length to 16 inches. She does have iron sights haha! Smile

This will be fun and I’m overdue taking this gun out for a stretch.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

92fstech, what part of Florida?

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sweet, should be fun then! Any excuse to shoot the ole' M1. I'm not very good, but it sure is fun! I'll get to it sometime next week after we get back home.

RichardC, we're in Pensacola at the in-laws. We usually come down here 3-4x a year (or at least my wife and kids do...I can usually only get off work once or twice). If traffic cooperates, it's only a 13 hour drive, so we can do it in a day. We did the beach yesterday, and something new today...drove down to Ft. Morgan and took the ferry across Mobile Bay to Dauphin Island to visit the Alabama Sea Lab. Kids had a blast...not sure if the ferry was more fun or the aquarium! We stood in the bow and they got thoroughly soaked on the way across Big Grin.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
An excellent family outing!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I felt like I was "playing chicken" with the floater in my right eye. Big Grin 100 yards, M1, 150gr PPU .30-06

Two X's, a ten and two zeros (arrows)