SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have to admit the P226/ MK25 is a heck of a lot easier to handle in 357 sig than the P239s.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Tried it again, CZ TS2.
T1 -5, T2 also -5.
Both within 8 second par time.

Rats.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Took my new-to-me P229 SAS to the range today to break it in a little more and test the Grayguns strut and spring that I swapped into it, and the new holster I made today. This gun delivers! Still didn't clean it, but I'm getting closer. Drawn from IWB under a hoodie.

Two targets with one out and only the LHO over time, and one with all three stages under time but four out.

I also had the MkIV along with two bolts and two uppers to continue to troubleshoot its reliability issues, and decided that shooting this drill would be as good a way as any to do that. Rimfire doesn't count, but it made me feel better about myself, lol.

I started with the gun on the table, safety on. The left target was with the Tactical upper W/ Holosun 407, and it had quite a few malfunctions so I had to keep restarting, hence the extra holes. The right target was shot with the 5" Target upper w/ iron sights...that upper proved far more reliable, with either bolt. I'm starting to think the short stroking is due to reduced dwell time in the short barrel.

Finally got a couple of clean targets, under time, even if I was cheating lol.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
This one's turned out to be a bear

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That combination of speed and shooting one handed with a decently tight accuracy standard is rough!

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Especially when you lose a second shifting from strong hand to weak other hand for the third string

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Oh, make no mistake, it's definitely my weak hand! Smile

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Shot it again today...tried a variety of guns, including my Beretta 81 (I was trying to take one from your playbook, Richard, and leverage the inside scoring...it didn't work). The best target out of all of them was my first one, cold, with the P229 SAS. Down 3, but times would have been in if we were drag racing (an 8 second car is anything under 8.99)!

I brought the PCC along again because I'd changed out the ejector spring and wanted to test it. Again, shot off the right shoulder two-handed, right shoulder one-handed, and left shoulder two-handed (had to shoot the left-shoulder stage twice because the timer didn't record my shots on the first run, hence why there are so many holes).

Again, we learn that rifles are better than pistols, even in pistol calibers, and being left-handed sucks...why do people do that? Big Grin

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I'm regressing. I think this one is beating me mentally.

Three days ago, tried with a .45ACP,
T1 -6

Yesterday 357 Sig,
T1-8.

Both under 8 seconds.

Stopped at the LGS, asked the proprietor for .32 S&W Long cartridges.
We both laughed.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Keeping accurate shots on target under time is testing my recoil control and recovery, especially one-handed. You're a brave man for trying it with .45 and .357 Sig, lol!

Shooting it in .22 was definitely easier than any of the centerfire cartridges I've tried. The Beretta would have probably been doable if the trigger and sights were a little better...or if I practiced with it a bit more. I do have some .32 S&W Long loaded up...maybe I need to take the model 31 out and give it a go. Its sights and action aren't exactly target-grade, either, though.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I used this course of fire today to test my light-striking P228. Still got light strikes. Still couldn't clean the course. 2 out, kept it under "drag strip" time.

David, how are you doing? Back healing ok?

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
If this matcher were professional wrestling, we'd all be *Jobbers*

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Lol yup, that's about the way it's been treating me!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
David, how is your physical therapy/recovery coming along?

92fstech, Blume9MM and I are waiting for you to kick ass with this seemingly impossible Q target challenge.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
David, how is your physical therapy/recovery coming along?

92fstech, Blume9MM and I are waiting for you to kick ass with this seemingly impossible Q target challenge.

The only ass getting kicked is mine, lol. Honestly, the last few weeks I've been busy with work and range time has been monopolized trying to troubleshoot the stupid P228, build the P226, and playing with the new J-Frame. I need to get back out and run some drills again...but I'm completely out of 9mm ammo. If I can get some loaded tonight I'll give it another try with the duty gun tomorrow after I drop Noah off at work.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I suck at posting pictures, but I finally got around to shooting this (as it just won’t seem to die).

Pistol is a new G17/RMR06 with a Surefire light. Holster is TREX Ironside concealed under a Northface jacket strongside. Ammo was 135 grain Critical Duty.

Target 1- 3.16 clean
Target 2- 5.38 clean
Target 3- 7.66 clean

I shot it in the configuration that would be of the least advantage to me. All times would have been faster from Appendix. Non-duty ammo would have shaved a little time. But, I wanted to do it to bring out a point.

Shooting a drill over and over again doesn’t make you a good shooter. Yeah, you can improve but the improvement is not cultivated skill, it’s gaming the game.

For instance, right now me and the boys are shooting several courses of fire as a measure of if dry fire is showing improvements. One of them has a 20 yard Vice Pres with a lot of movement thrown in. It’s killing me slowly like a bitter ex-wife. Another course of fire we have been shooting is 25 yards, draw and fire 4. I’m crushing that sub 3.5 seconds all alpha. But, the Vice pres has been elusive. So, I have been working the multiple target portion and movement portions separate. Merely trying to shoot the course of fire over and over has done nothing but frustrate me. Fixing the individual problems in dry fire is cleaning it up and getting me closer to the HF I need.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
Hi Richard,

Funny, you should ask. Yesterday, I went to the range for the first time in two months. I shot my three 9mm pistols, and was at how rusty I could get in only two months. I haven’t signed up at the outdoor bar mrange yet, but anything at the indoor range I’m ready to try. I started physical therapy about 10 days ago and go twice a week. I’ve got a few exercises that I do at home and I’m sure he’ll give me more as soon as I can do the ones I have properly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DBGarlikov,

Posts: 187 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
jljones, those times on clean targets are very impressive.

Excellent marksmanship, sir!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Good to hear you're getting up and about, David!

Jones, those are some impressive times! Apart from the fact that I'm just slow, I think the biggest problem I'm facing with this one is recoil recovery, especially one-handed. Do you have any suggestions for working through that?

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

I think the biggest problem I'm facing with this one is recoil recovery, especially one-handed. Do you have any suggestions for working through that?

When I have the gun in two hands, I really crank down on the grip. This assists me in locking out the wrists a little better and the gun tracks a bit smoother. SHO/WHO I d crank down on the gun, but I run my thumbs straight up in the air. This allows me to fill any voids at the top of the back strap and keeps the gun from “jumping” in my hand. Which is a big deal WHO. If you watch a lot of shooters, more often than not they hold on to the gun in one hand in such a way they have a 1/2 inch gap between the web of the hand and the top of the back strap.

But really the key to success is shooting sooner rather than faster.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post