SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 63
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBGarlikov:
I enjoyed this challenge and would like to see more like it.

Yep it was a fun one. Any other ideas up your sleeve, Richard?

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Nothing's coming to mind immediately ...

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Note: I haven't tried it, so it's open to suggestions for 50, 40, or 30 feet. Spur of the moment idea.

Pacific Rim match

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1663662/

https://www.cbr.com/pacific-ri...-know-about-jaegers/

Re-entry match. You may enter one declared match target per day during the run.

hopefully, they'll print properly.

Print two targets for each match; post them side by side so from left to right, it is Kaiju, Jaeger, Kaiju, Jaeger:

https://coloringhome.com/color...cE/y9g/ncEy9g64i.jpg <----------------------

Center fire pistol on table in front of you ( or, in holster), in the condition you would carry.

On start, retrieve handgun, two-handed fire ten shots total, starting with Kaiju on left, then right, then left, etc. until five have been fired at each Kaiju.
Twenty seconds total allowed.

Scoring: One point for each Kaiju-only hit. Zero for any hits on both combatants (where they overlap), minus one point for any hits on a Jaeger only.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
Thirty feet would be the max for me. I couldn’t see the lines from any farther. Maybe I could color in the spaces? That would look cool too.

Posts: 187 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Try it at thirty feet; if its too easy we can push it out farther.

Edit: I'll be able to try it this weekend.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sounds good, we'll give it a run! I'm having trouble telling the two figures apart right in front of my face on a computer screen...I think it'll be a decent challenge at 30 feet!

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I'm having trouble telling the two figures apart right in front of my face on a computer screen..

That's an intended part of the challenge, to simulate the confusion of motion.

Watching the movie(s), the Kaiju and Jaegers are in constantly swirling, close combat. It would be hard to get in clean shots.

Edit, for example hits:

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I like the concept. Forcing the transition between targets on this one may make it even more difficult. Looking forward to trying it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I wonder what kind of targets/match protocols would be more popular, to get more competitors interested?

Probably more 'combat" oriented rifle and pistol exercises/matches?

Yep.
As for the Kaiju thing....well, have fun.

Posts: 7874 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yes, its a bit silly, isn't it.

And yet, how would you react to happening upon a scene of say, an LEO & a miscreant wrestling & rolling on the hot summer pavement, struggling for possession of the officer's service weapon, in less than 20 seconds?

Would you back off and let them settle it themselves? Would you shoot there amongst them, because someone's got to get some relief? Would you confidently stop the bad-guy right now with a well aimed and timed shot from your carry weapon?

Leave your CCW weapon holstered/pocketed/whatever, and jump in there with close personal physical efforts to right the wrong situation?

Am I off base here?

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a friend and co-worker who was in exactly that situation a couple of years ago. It happened on the opposite night shift, otherwise I'd have likely been there with him. I've watched the video numerous times, and it's a scary deal. He only had about 2 seconds to react, and ultimately hesitated to shoot because the situation was too entangled and dynamic and he was afraid of hitting his partner.

Before he could get a shot that he was willing to take, another officer, who didn't know there was a gun in play, came diving in and smeared everybody, thankfully knocking the bad guy's gun loose in the impact so nobody got shot.

Some people criticized my buddy for not shooting in that engagement. Having watched the video, measured the times involved, the movement, the entanglement with his partner...I don't blame him one bit. It's not an easy drill on a square range with nothing on the line. Having to worry about hitting your partner for real makes it almost unthinkable.

This drill clearly has its limitations, but there are some things you just can't simulate in a range environment. As a basic exercise it certainly can't hurt.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Shot it today with the work gun, but you'll just have to take my word for it because I took a picture but my stupid phone didn't save it for whatever reason. I should have saved the targets because this isn't the first time that POS has done this...but I tossed them at the range.

I aimed for the eyes...got 9/10 because I shanked one off to the left on the left target. So no good-guy hits, but not clean either.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
90% is good!

Thirty feet?

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yep, 10 yards.

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you're familiar with Mickey Schurch & Carry Trainer, but if you check Carry Trainer on YouTube, he has over 1000 videos. Watching some of his videos a few years ago is what got me interested in shooting. He's an exceptional instructor. For the second time in 2 1/2 years, I had the opportunity to take one of his three day, pistol and rifle classes. It was a real bonus for me. Also, when I got back home I got an email congratulating me that I won a Kahr CT-9 pistol in the Honor Flight drawing. September has started out to be a fantastic month.

Posts: 187 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got an email congratulating me that I won a Kahr CT-9 pistol in the Honor Flight drawing. September has started out to be a fantastic month.

Congratulations, David!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That is indeed a good month!

I wish I could get to more classes. I'm fortunate that I get sent every once in a while for work. Other than that, it's hard to get away. There were a couple offered this summer just a couple of hours away that I would have loved to go to and might have been able to swing, but they landed right in the middle of our Alaska trip. I'm hoping there are some similar options next year.

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
I’m taking seven classes between now and the end of the year, including a medical trauma class. There are a few defensive pistol & rifle classes that I’ve taken that I hope to never need, but the medical trauma class goes to the top of the list that I never want to need.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m taking seven classes between now and the end of the year, including a medical trauma class. There are a few defensive pistol & rifle classes that I’ve taken that I hope to never need, but the medical trauma class goes to the top of the list that I never want to need.

We do a lot of that type of training at work, and always try to build it into our field days and scenario training. I've definitely treated more people in real life than I've shot (which is thankfully zero!), and it's very worth getting proficient with how to do CPR, plug a hole, apply a tourniquet, etc. Shooting skills have a pretty narrow application...there are any number of scenarios in life where it would be useful to know how to treat trauma.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
92fstech, a trainer I highly respected and counted as a freind said, you'll likely save more lives with medical skills than you ever will with a trigger.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Shot the Pacific Rim match today, thirty feet, 2 hands, decocked and on table, < 20 seconds for ten shots, CZ 97 with Federal 220 GR red 'lipstick' rounds.

Sighter, one missed the Kaiju but nailed the Jaeger right in his clenched fist: 9-1=8.

Declared match target, 9 hits, no friendly hits, one round so perfectly between the Kaiju's digit and adjacent claw, its a miss. 9/10.