SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Tjeffhughes at gmail.com

Posts: 37 | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Patent Pending
Picture of Tonyny
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]You're killing me Prefontaine! One day, mine too will hit where I aim.[/QUOTE]

Roll Eyes
Eh you need to join this thread

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6610022983

NRA Life Member

Capital punishment means never having to say, "You again?"

Posts: 4135 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent workmanship and single action trigger. Worst double action trigger I've ever felt. Real let-down.

Posts: 35 | Registered: February 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tonyny:
You're killing me Prefontaine! One day, mine too will hit where I aim.[/QUOTE]

Roll Eyes
Eh you need to join this thread

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6610022983[/QUOTE]

Read it. Chose to copy the reply anyway. What's your point? Did you have anything constructive to add to THIS thread?

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPeterJr:
Excellent workmanship and single action trigger. Worst double action trigger I've ever felt. Real let-down.

This is surprising to me. If it doesn't perform as you hoped after shooting it some, I'd contact Kriss.

I find the SA trigger to be extremely good, and the DA trigger similar to SIG's in weight, but a little smoother.

MP

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MusProd:
quote:

This is surprising to me. If it doesn't perform as you hoped after shooting it some, I'd contact Kriss.

I find the SA trigger to be extremely good, and the DA trigger similar to SIG's in weight, but a little smoother.

MP

Yeah, my DA is easily on par wih my 228, 245 and 239. The SA is much better. Sounds a bit unusual, not what most of us have experienced.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think out of the box and lot of the Sphinx guns DA triggers are too heavy but very smooth. A simple 5 minute spring change with a CGW kit or Wolf CZ Compact hammer spring changes it and puts it in the 8-9lb range depending on your gun.

Posts: 413 | Registered: July 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MusProd:
quote:

MP

Pretty much mirrors my experience as well.
The DA pull is good and can easily be mastered with a little practice.

Sphinx could have easily dropped in a lighter spring but i'm sure the #1 priority for this pistol is to ensure reliable ignition with a wide variety of ammunition. I've seen my share of pistols where someone puts lighter springs in a pistol and made it unreliable with certain types of ammunition. No telling how many people have had action jobs done and never gave the ammunition a second thought afterward.

In general, there is a pretty experienced bunch of folks here that understand this and thoroughly test their guns after making spring changes. Nothing wrong with a nice light DA trigger as long as it's reliable.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
DA is perfect for me in a carry pistol. It's very smooth. 0 zero complaints in any area of the trigger and I usually require some smithing. The weighting of the DA is very nice in the pistol for some reason. Lends itself, very well, to staging.

I want a pair of the Standard Blacks bad.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sphinx could have easily dropped in a lighter spring but i'm sure the #1 priority for this pistol is to ensure reliable ignition with a wide variety of ammunition. I've seen my share of pistols where someone puts lighter springs in a pistol and made it unreliable with certain types of ammunition. No telling how many people have had action jobs done and never gave the ammunition a second thought afterward.

It is my understanding that prototypes shipped with a lighter mainspring but testers believed the trigger was too light.

IIRC there was not talk about ignition issues. I personally wish they had shipped it with lighter hammer springs.

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WVsigP228:
quote:

It is my understanding that prototypes shipped with a lighter mainspring but testers believed the trigger was too light.

IIRC there was not talk about ignition issues. I personally wish they had shipped it with lighter hammer springs.

I can't imagine why they would come to those conclutions if reliability wasn't an issue. Maybe the Lawyers thought someone would accidentally pull a 7 to 8 pound DA trigger. Big Grin

I have a Beretta Elite II I sent to Ernest Langdon back in the early 2000s and he did a level II competition action job.
The DA pull is around 7 1/2 lbs. He didn't recommend using the pistol for self defense and recommended using Federal Primers. The pistol would shoot several kinds of ammunition without issue. That is until I recently shot some Speer Lawman. I had a few light primer strikes out of the couple of boxes I had. As a reloader, I knew CCI/Speer had some of the hardest primers in the industry. Federal having some of the softest. I know every gun is different so testing it with what you carry is a must.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have you tried David's (CGW) $20 spring kit? A lot of happy campers have them in their SDP's.

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
DA is perfect for me in a carry pistol. ...

This precisely why I want a DA/SA for carry, whether Sphinx or SIG.

For range use I want a light, crisp trigger, but for carry I want a 10# DA pull. My accuracy suffers very little, and my piece of mind is close to that of having an independent safety.

When I am shooting the Sphinx just for precision, the SA trigger is nearly in the same category as my P210 Legend, X5 L-1, and customized 1911 with a 3# trigger.

I, obviously, am not a candidate for Glock or SIG P320 style pistols. I prefer DA/SA or SA with safety.

MP

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Safeties are completely out for me. DA/SA is my preference and I have a special passion for this trigger type. I can run a striker pretty well also, If need be. But I prefer that DA/SA.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you tried David's (CGW) $20 spring kit? A lot of happy campers have them in their SDP's.

Yes I have one of his kits in my Compact the Subcompact is stock.

I also tired the Wolf CZ compact springs but got ignition issues with harder primers like CCI. So I took it out.

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I also tired the Wolf CZ compact springs but got ignition issues with harder primers like CCI. So I took it out.

Good Morning, WVsigP228

After installing one of David's kits, how much of a difference did it make?
What is the DA pull weight?

-- George Orwell

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
quote:
quote:

Good Morning, WVsigP228

The CGW kit in the compact got me a trigger pull of DA=8.9 lbs SA=5.4 lbs. With the Wolf springs it was closer to 7.12 lbs but even with the 19 lbs spring I was getting a few light strikes with CCI primers so I opted for the CGW kit. It is well made and worth the $20 IMHO. Whenever you change hammer springs it is very subjective to the gun. Other people report no light strikes with as low as a 17lb CZ compact spring from Wolf.

My sub which went back to the factory for barrel and slide stop issues came back considerably cleaned up. It is smoother than when I sent it in. Stock it is DA=8.13 lbs SA= 5.12lb.

I did not install the reduced power lifter arm spring. I have not had the time, The other parts go in withing minutes.

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
quote:
quote:

Good Morning, WVsigP228

The CGW kit in the compact got me a trigger pull of DA=8.9 lbs SA=5.4 lbs. With the Wolf springs it was closer to 7.12 lbs but even with the 19 lbs spring I was getting a few light strikes with CCI primers so I opted for the CGW kit. It is well made and worth the $20 IMHO. Whenever you change hammer springs it is very subjective to the gun. Other people report no light strikes with as low as a 17lb CZ compact spring from Wolf.

My sub which went back to the factory for barrel and slide stop issues came back considerably cleaned up. It is smoother than when I sent it in. Stock it is DA=8.13 lbs SA= 5.12lb.

I did not install the reduced power lifter arm spring. I have not had the time, The other parts go in withing minutes.

Thanks WVsigP228,

The CGW kit sounds pretty good and will give it a try in my Duotone.
It's pretty much a range gun so light primer strikes shouldn't be an issue anyway.
I have always used Winchester and Federal primers when reloading and stay away from CCI. Years back, I bought a case of CCI primers and had nothing but trouble with my Wilson Combat Accu-Comp LE. It had a 2 lb. trigger. They are good reliable primers but don't work well for competition guns IMHO.

-- George Orwell

186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Well I finally got to the range with my Sphinx subcompact and ran 250 rounds of Federal 124 grain through it. Perfect all the way, and very accurate.
Looking forward to getting back and shooting another 200-300 rounds next week.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
By the way I need 2-3 more mags. Anyone know the best place to get them? TIA.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post