SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    upcoming Springfield Armory P-35 Hi Power
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

upcoming Springfield Armory P-35 Hi Power Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
So seeing the Springfield Armory sold out the 2A and we hate them unconditionally and forever critics ...

I guess I missed that episode. What did Springfield do?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/4860044324/p/1

Q

Posts: 26199 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
So seeing the Springfield Armory sold out the 2A and we hate them unconditionally and forever critics ...

I guess I missed that episode. What did Springfield do?

Here's one article ... https://gunstoday.com/why-is-e...-springfield-armory/

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks. Guess I hadn't missed it, after all. I merely forgot all about it after four years.

MWC: Noted. Thanks.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26005 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
I've been wondering the same thing and can only come to the conclusion that the forgings for them maybe come from other countries that can produce them for substantially less than could be made here in the good old USA.
It may be the raw forgings are made abroad and then machined in the USA, but in that case, SA, Inc is, in effect, lying to us. I wouldn't put it past them.

Tonight, I looked around at High Power prices and I was shocked at what the FN pistols are bringing on the secondary market. If these new pistols work and prove durable, they can only be considered a bargain for someone who wants a High Power. Nevertheless, no one likes being lied to or being told half-truths.

In the job/company I just retired from, we had to deal with the issue of origin of our products. We primarily used steel plate, bar stock and forgings. The plate and bar stock especially could come from worldwide sources. Our larger customers who operate globally provide guidance on our marking and documentation stating a US origin or “made in USA”. The criteria usually depended on the amount of work/$ content done in the US, or the “substantial transformation” of the product material involved.

This is reality of our global economy and is what may allow Springfield to advertise as it does......

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
It's been quite a while since I've been excited about a new pistol. Sadly, this probably won't be available in CA.

Posts: 1955 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
If this means someone will build a batch of 20 (or 21) rnd magazines I will be happy.

The SA copy looks good but I will stick my MK2.5(?)

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is anyone actually selling them yet ??

Please don't call me a slob with no class.....I already know that !! I still would like one !! Big Grin

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I'm with you mike. I'm buying one too. Somebody point me in the right direction.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8197 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
Now if they would bring out the GP version I would be very interested. Sold my HP GP back in the '80's. Still regret doing it.

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks good in the SA promotional link. I have two BHP's, a 9mm Practical and a .40 Mklll...both are great shooters and have fed everything I've stuffed into the mags. Accurate in a 2-3" at 25 yds sense, I've always had a soft spot for them. Spent many a nervous night with the one I carried while on my fist tour in Vietnam in '70.

This new one seems to be well turned out. Can't speak to it's origin but the American Rifleman write-up was encouraging. I may make a move when one shows up at my LGS. YMMv, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Stopped by my local shop today and asked about these. He told me he has 3 on order, and one is already spoken for. It sounds like they're planning to price them at MSRP. He's going to call me when they come in...if it's as advertised I'm getting one.

Posts: 8410 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
my pop and i have already left word with our local FFL to grab a couple for us as soon as possible. i almost never do this. so, i guess i am excited for this gun too. one of my favorite pistol designs.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I’ve had 2 HP’s over the years with the intention to send it off to Novak for a custom job dream gun.
Both were pristine examples and I couldn’t bring myself to modify either. Both were eventually sold off to fund other projects.
But this new SA looks like just the ticket as a shooter with enough updates to be on my list to buy.

Posts: 3536 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted one. Might have to take a close look at this.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've already seen bids NORTH OF 2K on the BrokeGunner site!

Hammer bite on HPs can be caused by either/both of two things. Reference Dewhorse's beutiful pic here just a few posts above.

Look first at the point just above the beavertail, and see how close the shank of the hammer bears down against it.

1-Some have a grip where the web of the thumb gets scrunched between those two areas.

2- Some are bit by the actuall TIP of the hammer, pounding back onto our hands somewhere back from the web of our thumb.

Some of us get a bit of BOTH.

1- You simply round off the razor like, right-angle edges on both sides of the shank, and then touch blue to your preference.

2- Rounding of the same edges alone may work. However, most often you must remove a bit of that tip, typically into the first or 2nd cut of the oem serrations that are there. Then round off/de-bur in the same way.

On ring/rowel hammers, you would round those same edges at the point where it impacts your thumb.

Posts: 378 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Two thousand bucks for a copy of the High Power is laughable. You want a forged frame, fine. Just find a High Power made before 1993 or thereabouts. FN produced untold numbers of High Powers over a period of decades. If you're willing to spend two grand, it should be for an original.

How can you tell if a High Power has a forged or cast frame? Serial numbers will help you in a broad sense, but if the pistol was produced in the early 1990s, turn it over and have a look at the flat surrounding the magazine well. If it's a forge frame, this will be smooth. If it's cast, this area will be grooved, running parallel to the bore axis.

There's no substitute for the original. If you didn't care about aesthetics, you wouldn't be looking at High Powers to begin with. If you just want a shooter and nothing more, the SA, Inc copy appears to be a great buy at 700, but when prices get north of that, you can do better.

Posts: 107249 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Hi Power Practical with the rowel hammer and a hard chrome lower that was a steal at $500-something like 13-14 years ago. Hammer bit pretty bad, but it was accurate from a shootability point of view. Fell by the wayside though.

When Browning discontinued the Hi Power I wished I'd gotten one of the FN marked ones with SFS that I passed on at $499 15 years ago. And in a fit of compulsion I grabbed one of the custom Hi Powers that MGW built with all Browning parts and sold about a year ago. Mine was polished blue ambi with a gold non-safety trigger and adjustable sights (but recessed properly). I buffed the lousy thin gold finish off the trigger so now its stainless looking and matches the barrel. Also grabbed some extra mousetrap mags. Also installed some Wilson Combat springs - reduced power mainspring and firing pin spring for now.

So now I'm thinking maybe this S.A. would have been a better idea. Nothing about Browning Hi Powers is ever truly standard or drop in. You can buy 1911 parts that mostly drop in, but almost everything has to be fitted or smithed on a Hi Power, even grips because the frame cutouts all vary. Hopefully S.A. is more consistent, at least gun to gun. I would like an ambi safety though because I am left handed.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you just want a shooter and nothing more, the SA, Inc copy appears to be a great buy at 700, but when prices get north of that, you can do better.

That's where I'm at with it. I'm not a collector. I'm intrigued by the design, and want one to shoot...I'm ok with a quality copy. Honestly, a copy is a better fit for me as I can wear it out at the range and not feel bad about beating up a piece of history.

I'm not paying $1000+ for one, though. If my LGS comes through at MSRP or below, one will come home with me. Paying 3x MSRP on Gunbroker is just sheer idiocy, IMO.

Posts: 8410 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I handled one today at the local FFL. They had just gotten it in and it went straight to the rental case. I couldn't stay and shoot it but I will go back tomorrow and do just that. Fit and finish was very good, almost like a parkerized type finish. Safety was easy to manipulate and had a good on and off click to it. Trigger was very nice, better than I expected.

Hopefully some pics and range report tomorrow.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two grand on gun broker?
Awww HELL NO!

Wait a few months, probably spring-ish, early summer, when there's enough out in the stores, those prices will come down.

On the other hand, how quickly some forget about how lovely Springfield is, and how much they look out for their customers.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8317 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post