SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    upcoming Springfield Armory P-35 Hi Power
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

upcoming Springfield Armory P-35 Hi Power Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Perhaps, but that would be one thing I saw that would concern me. That hammer spur looked like it was awfully close to the meat back of the web of his hand.

The original hammers (ring and spur) were even worse than this one. About the only hammers that have been “no-bite” before this one have been Novak, Cylinder & Slide, modified chopped spur hammers, or the “SFS” System that re-engineered the trigger and safety. If this spent a range day in New Orleans without anyone getting bit, we’re probably safe.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is made in the USA. And if it were made overseas, but, say . . . in Belgium, I probably wouldn't have minded. Good to see the mag disconnect gone.

I have always like the idea of the Hi Power, but, in fact, they don't fit my hand very well. I find the length from the back strap to the trigger is short.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The two things I’m wondering right now is what are they using for sight dovetails (BHP or Springfield 1911 w/larger front sight) and did they beef up the front strap enough to be checkered. It doesn’t have the serial number on it, but checkering BHPs can be dicey because of the thin front strap.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I think that he mispoke and meant hammer bite as they redesigned the hammer.

Perhaps, but that would be one thing I saw that would concern me. That hammer spur looked like it was awfully close to the meat back of the web of his hand.

Look at the hammer on my FM Detective on page 2. Same configuration as the SA-35 and there is NO hammer bite with it.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
This is good stuff...made in the USA, and at a reasonable price. If these actually become available, I'll probably pick one up just to see what they're all about.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
If this spent a range day in New Orleans without anyone getting bit, we’re probably safe.

Probably, but, still: If they have one for rent I'll try it, first.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Found a puff piece write up at a Springfield blog, but it does bring up some other details people were wondering. The bottom of the article has this referenced at the “SA-35 Series.”

https://www.thearmorylife.com/...96&__hsfp=3747778241

There may be some formatting errors below.

quote:
First Look: Springfield Armory SA-35 9mm
By Jeremy Tremp

With a legacy of being produced for more than eight decades, the P-35 9mm pistol is justifiably considered a classic. But, commercial variants have been vacant from the market for several years and original military pistols are commanding increasingly steeper prices. There was clearly demand for a newly made version of the iconic handgun. Enter the new Springfield Armory SA-35.

Made here in the United States in Geneseo, Illinois, the new SA-35 takes everything that was good with the original and then adds Springfield’s own enhancements, improvements and modernizations.

Source Code

The original P-35 was first conceived by legendary firearms inventor John Moses Browning in 1921, in response to a request from the French military for a pistol in 9mm that could hold at least 10 rounds. Browning set about developing the pistol, working with renowned engineer Dieudonné Saive. The result was a pistol that featured a double-column magazine that held an astounding 15 rounds, practically doubling the capacity of all comparable pistols of the time.

Unfortunately, Browning passed away as the pistol was being developed, but work on the pistol continued, with the capacity being reduced down to 13 rounds due to what was perceived as too long a grip. The pistol that we know as the P-35 would eventually appear in 1935. While the French ultimately passed on the design, it would go on to become one of the most prolific and influential handguns in the world.

A New Take

Although the P-35 is still a very capable pistol, it does show its age when compared to more modern designs. Springfield Armory has a long history of taking time-honored designs and updating them with modern manufacturing and materials, making them both classic and cutting-edge.

For strength and durability, Springfield utilized forged steel for the slide and frame, with a cold hammer-forged barrel rounding out the package. The frame, slide and barrel are all precision CNC machined for extremely tight tolerances. Another welcomed quality is the use of modern heat treating to increase the strength of the metals.

Beyond the materials and construction, Springfield Armory also added upgrades and enhancements to the ergonomics, operation and performance of the pistol. Firstly, they have included a 15-round, flush-fit magazine that gets you two more rounds over the original magazine (which the pistol will also accept). Also, the magazine well is beveled to help feed those magazines more quickly and easily. Other improvements include a factory-tuned trigger, “no-bite” hammer design, a modernized extended thumb safety, “Tactical Rack” sights and more.

One of the most significant changes was Springfield’s choice to configure the SA-35 without the magazine disconnect, as found in the original design. This brings it in line with the rest of Springfield Armory’s offerings and provides the ability for magazines to drop freely.

A Tactical Rack rear sight makes one-handed slide racking easy, and accurate shooting even easier.

Maintaining aftermarket support was also high on Springfield Armory’s priority list for the SA-35, and much like their 1911 line, many tolerances were tweaked/refined for more precise, consistent fitment of the major components compared against the original.

Additionally, Springfield worked hard on the aesthetics of the SA-35. Beyond the attractive matte blued finish and slim checkered walnut grips, they put a lot of work into the integral barrel lug to make the exterior outline of it blend aesthetically with the frame.

Specifications

Here are the Springfield SA-35 specs:

Chambering 9mm
Barrel 4.7″ cold hammer-forged
Weight 31.5 oz
Overall Length 7.8″
Sights White dot front, serrated Tactical Rack rear
Grips Checkered walnut
Action Single-action
Finish Blued carbon steel
Capacity 15+1, one magazine included
MSRP $699

Hands-On

As a collector and a student of firearms history, being able to get my hands on one of the first SA-35 pistols was a dream come true. There is something special about holding a firearm that has roots to one of the most prolific firearms designers in history. The SA-35 is extremely accurate and very easy to shoot, and as I manipulate and fire the pistol I can see where many of today’s designs have followed the design of this trailblazer. The original P-35 really influenced a lot of what we see and use today and was way ahead of its time. With the release of the SA-35, I believe Springfield has taken a classic and updated it to become a design that will continue to compete for decades to come.

Modern polymer guns have their place and, in many ways, can excel over firearm designs of the past. But there is nothing quite like shooting a precision-crafted pistol made from forged steel. The pistol just wants to shoot flat. Rapid firing this pistol is just plain fun, and it is ready for quick and accurate follow-up shots. The trigger is a much-improved trigger over the original design. You can really tell the difference between Springfield’s SA-35 and an original. The tolerances are tight, and the pistol is solid and well built with the end user in mind.

Springfield really worked on the shootability of this pistol. By my third magazine, I had completely forgotten I was shooting a pistol designed in the 1920s. The extended thumb safety was very similar to other more modern guns that I am used to. It’s easy to actuate and has very tactile “on” and “off” positions, which made going from safe to fire very discernable.

Reloading was effortless thanks to the subtle beveling of the magwell. Maximizing the accuracy of this pistol was made easier with the Tactical Rack sights. More and more I prefer to have blacked-out rear sights and a bright front sight as it makes quick sight acquisition easier and keeps your focus on one point. The sights are also very durable and aid in the event of one-handed slide manipulation from a belt or other hard surface against the forward flat face of the rear sight.

Field stripped SA-35 pistol

Field stripping the SA-35 for cleaning is easy and there are few parts to try and manage.
Further aiming to bring this venerable pistol into the modern age, Springfield chose to not include the bemoaned “magazine disconnect” from the original design. This system would prevent the pistol from firing when the magazine was removed, while also impacting the quality of the trigger pull and preventing magazines from falling freely from the pistol. Not incorporating this feature brings the SA-35 in line with the entire Springfield Armory line, allows for a much-improved trigger pull and allows mags to drop freely when you hit the magazine release button. Thank you, Springfield!

Springfield also worked very hard to improve the ergonomics of the pistol. For example, the recontoured hammer eliminates the “bite” you could receive from the original P-35 hammer design, which could come into contact with your hand if you have a high grip or large hands.

Conclusion

The SA-35, even with its retro charm, is actually a very solid choice compared against most “modern” firearms, thanks to the efforts Springfield has taken with it. I noticed that the grip on the SA-35 is on the shorter side compared with most full-size handguns. This makes for a good concealment pistol. With my review, I used a DeSantis Slim-Tuk holster from the Springfield Armory Store to test fitment and comfort. As a guy who normally EDCs a Hellcat, I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the SA-35 was on my hip. For an all-metal gun, the SA-35 only weighs in at 31.5 oz. with an empty magazine.

The new SA-35 features a flush-fitting 15-round magazine but can still accept original 13-round magazines.

Frankly, I didn’t expect to love the SA-35 as much as I do. It was extremely enjoyable to shoot, and the accuracy and lack of recoil made that day at the range a blast. For a guy who has a lot of “go fast” training, I felt like the SA-35 could keep up easily against any more “modern” gun. I am really looking forward to what aftermarket options are out there to further customize this pistol to my liking. I’ve already got my eyes on some nice Lok Grips.

I think people are really going to love this pistol, especially those who are fans of the original P-35. The SA-35 has paid a great tribute to the original while modernizing it for today’s discerning users. I am looking forward to how the SA-35 evolves under the care of Springfield Armory. I would love to eventually see different finishes, custom grip options, etc… Fingers crossed!

And, now for the most amazing part of the story — the price. The MSRP on this pistol is an astounding $699. I was shocked when I heard that number. Considering its features and quality, I expected it to cost much more. So be sure to take a look at the new SA-35. It is well-made, reliable and attractive. I am sure it will exceed all your expectations.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a collector and a student of firearms history, being able to get my hands on one of the first SA-35 pistols was a dream come true.
A dream come true, huh? Thankfully, this line caught my eye before I read this article, because I have no doubt, based upon this one sentence, it's not worth my time to read it. What utter horse shit. I wonder if he got his check from SA, Inc yet. Jesus Roll Eyes

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
they put a lot of work into the integral barrel lug to make the exterior outline of it blend aesthetically with the frame.

I'm not real clear on this.

Guess I need to get an old one out and compare it to the photo of SA's offering.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
they put a lot of work into the integral barrel lug to make the exterior outline of it blend aesthetically with the frame.

I'm not real clear on this.

Guess I need to get an old one out and compare it to the photo of SA's offering.

On the original BHPs the barrel lug is a separate piece that's either peened or pressed into the frame then dressed down. They don't normally do a very thorough job so often times you can still see an imprint there. Never bothered me one bit but I guess they figured out how to make it disappear.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Right here?

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:]

A dream come true, huh? Thankfully, this line caught my eye before I read this article, because I have no doubt, based upon this one sentence, it's not worth my time to read it. What utter horse shit. I wonder if he got his check from SA, Inc yet. Jesus Roll Eyes

It did answer a question you asked in that it’ll take all FN/Browning aftermarket parts. Just about anything that worked on the old Hi Power works on this one.

Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Right here?

Yep that's the bit I was referring to.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
FWIW that frame area RichardC posted an illustration of is also not evident in my FM Detective or my FN MKIII.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have always loved the lines of the Hi Power, but often they were hard to find or out of reach of my wallet at the time. Crossing my fingers that this one works out; will wait to see Hickok45 (as an example) get one up and running before swooning...

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I predict that in a short time span that SA will offer this HP in stainless. I can only hope that they also offer a "Detective model" in stainless. If they do, my bank account is going to take a hit!!

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well they've certainly piqued my interest.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I'm actually excited by this. I'd love to have a Hi Power that I wouldn't mind beating up a bit.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jerod
posted Hide Post
I am in . Looks like SA knocked these out of the park.

Sig 551
W. German P228
W. German P226
Spec. Conf.P220
Navy MK 25
Non rail P229

Posts: 168 | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
“Tactical Rack” is the new “Grip Zone” Big Grin

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post