SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You will buy a Glock
Page 1 ... 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 ... 562
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Glock Login/Join 
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'm going to wait a few months for the initial feeding frenzy to die down, and then I'm planning to grab a Performance Trigger to put in my range-only G45 to try out.

Sounds like it's a potentially good option for a competition pistol, especially considering that it's a factory part and therefore GSSF legal (if you shoot those matches).

Besides just a lighter trigger pull, this new performance trigger fully cocks your Glock's striker when the slide cycles, unlike the standard Glocks trigger with its partially cocked striker where the trigger pull finishes cocking and then releases the striker. This results in a trigger with a shorter, lighter pull with less takeup and a crisper break.

Please keep me/us posted when you get the trigger and provide some feedback.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2659 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I ordered a trigger to try.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I ordered a trigger to try.

Same request for you as well Smile

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2659 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Must be installed by a professional gunsmith or Glock armorer."

Sure. You bet. I never learned how to drift pins.

Freakin' lawyers

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
"Must be installed by a... or Glock armorer."

I say this with a whole, whopping 2 Armorers Classes under my belt. A 1911 class and a Glock class.

To be fair, a Glock Armorer is kinda like someone that went to a Lego Building class and got a certificate.

It's not really rocket surgery Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Freakin' lawyers

Which ones, the ones that wrote it or the ones that caused them to have to write it... or maybe both....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
So basically, it's converting your Glock to a fully-cocked striker, where pulling the trigger simply drops the sear out of the way to release the striker and allow it to fall...just like the P320. Seems we had a long discussion about this type of design on here not all that long ago...

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
So basically, it's converting your Glock to a fully-cocked striker, where pulling the trigger simply drops the sear out of the way to release the striker and allow it to fall...just like the P320. Seems we had a long discussion about this type of design on here not all that long ago...
The new performance trigger (made by Timney, not Glock) is drop-safe. If you watch this video, you can get a close look at the design and an explanation of how it works. Take a look at it and tell me whether or not you think this trigger is as safe as the stock trigger.

Apparently, Mr. Glock made this video before he knew that Timney designed and manufactures it, because several times he hints that it looks like Glock ripped off Timney. He's also very halting in his delivery and though I understand that his remarks in the video are extemporaneous, given that he had just gotten his hands on this new trigger, I still find it a bit frustrating to listen to.

Anyone who thinks Glock is going to introduce an unsafe trigger for their pistols- especially after witnessing what SIG went through with the P320- doesn't know much about Glock as a company.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
While I don’t think there will be issues with this trigger and there are plenty of other “single action” strikers on the market, I prefer the half cocked striker concept. That said I am ultimately a DA/SA troglodyte at heart so personal bias and all that.

I wonder if this will bring a Glock up to something like a PPQ in terms of feel?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Looking into this further, it may be that only the trigger shoe and trigger safety are made by Timney, although I find it odd that a company founded on molded plastic parts would need to farm out a trigger shoe. It could be that the shoe was an already existing part and therefore it might be cheaper to obtain the part from a vendor rather than developing a mold for it.

I've emailed Timney to inquire and hopefully I'll get a response shortly. Then again, it's the first day of SHOT, so I may be waiting a while.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I definitely don't think it's unsafe...not do I think the P320 is unsafe, and I've argued that point here several times. I just find it interesting that many have criticized the design of the P320 compared to the Glock, but now Glock is releasing a trigger system that functions in the same way. Maybe it's not actually that dangerous after all...

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Even though the original Glock system keeps the striker at half cocked, I for one would not stand in front of it if it released from that position with a live round chambered. If in good working order unmodified would it release from that half cocked position? Nope not even if dropped. Now they have a system that keeps the striker fully cocked. Perfectly safe and Sig has solved that issue so we just move on.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I am so fascinated right now that Glock made the Timney a factory option. More or less.

People like Taran Butler have been fans of the Timney since it came out.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even though the original Glock system keeps the striker at half cocked, I for one would not stand in front of it

I mean I wouldn’t stand in front of a decocked DA/SA or a revolver for that matter.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
So if Glock is now endorsing the fully cocked striker mechanism, are they going to look to migrate this to production guns, as opposed to an aftermarket addition? It's not like there aren't a bunch of striker guns on the market (AFAIK most of them, other than Glock), that come with fully cocked striker mechanisms.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't anticipate that. One thing to note- if you watched the Johnny Glock video on this trigger, you know that he recommends not disassembling the trigger assembly, and if I understand correctly, it requires the removal of the ejector from the trigger housing.

I expect Glock to keep putting the usual trigger into Gen5 pistols and sell the Performance Trigger as an accessory.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
So if Glock is now endorsing the fully cocked striker mechanism, are they going to look to migrate this to production guns, as opposed to an aftermarket addition?

Never say never, but Glock has reportedly said that they are not currently planning to offer this trigger installed from the factory.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
he recommends not disassembling the trigger assembly, and if I understand correctly, it requires the removal of the ejector from the trigger housing

Correct. Per the Glock armorer manual supplement for this trigger, disassembly of the new Performance Trigger requires removing the ejector in order to access the sear holder assembly and trigger spring. It also involves the use of a hexagonal slave pin during a portion of the trigger reassembly. (I'm unclear if the trigger comes with that slave pin, or if an armorer has to order that part separately.)

But provided it's packaged and shipped in a manner that precludes the assembly from being jostled apart, the complete trigger assembly appears to just be a straight drop-in for a Gen 5 Glock, without the need to deal with slave pins and ejectors.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have three of the Glock Performance Triggers and they will be replacing my Timneys. I’ve installed one into a g17 thus far. For comparison, this 17 used to have a Timney with the Johnny Glock combat conversion kit. I prefer the GPT overall to the Timney. They feel very very similar in break. The GPT has less over travel and a much stronger reset but the pre travel on the Timney is lighter due to the different trigger return spring setups - I also prefer the metal shoe of the Timney. However, I see no reason to own a Timney in a Glock anymore as the GPT design is considerably better in that it is inherently safer (due to the supported sear) and that it is likely a more robust/reliable system. From JGs video, it seems as though the GPT can likely take a current Glock aftermarket trigger shoe. What may be nice is buying Timneys shoe and putting it in the GPT system.

I will also say that I installed a JG plus connector in the 17 with the GPT and am getting a very hard wall with an extremely crisp 6lb break. With a 5.5 connector, the trigger is very reminiscent of a stock PDP trigger but with a slightly heavier take up.

Posts: 7 | Registered: October 19, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, that's interesting. Thanks for the information. The comparison to the Walther PDP is fitting, since the Walther uses a single action mechanism, and if that's what the GPT is like, I'm sure to be happy with the one I've ordered. The PPQ has IMO the best stock trigger pull of all striker fired pistols. The PDP is essentially the same.

Regarding changing the trigger shoe, I favor a rounded trigger face. I can't recall if Overwatch ever sold just the shoe for their Falx trigger but it's not showing on their website now, just the entire trigger with attached bar.

I'd be fine with the GPT with the stock Glock shoe.

Then again, I may end up liking the GPT just as it comes.

I'm really curious who makes the trigger. I haven't heard back from Timney.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Lane has been pretty reliable about Glock stuff over the years.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post