SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You will buy a Glock
Page 1 ... 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 ... 562
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Glock Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
48 MOS acquired. Now I’ll be shopping for a red dot and a weapon light. A slimmer option than the G19 for summer.

Can’t speak to a dot for the thin guns but the TLR7-Sub is an excellent light option.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted Hide Post
Love the 43x with shield mags. But G19 Gen 5 really rocks and Im seriously thinking about G29 but luckily I haven’t seen one. However, im seeing one coming in the future. Just waiting to decide which would be best as its going to be my new camping partner. G20 or G29?

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"

Posts: 3297 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dyingtime:
Love the 43x with shield mags. But G19 Gen 5 really rocks and Im seriously thinking about G29 but luckily I haven’t seen one. However, im seeing one coming in the future. Just waiting to decide which would be best as its going to be my new camping partner. G20 or G29?

I got two 43x mos, one for me, one for my Wife. Love my 43X! It's pretty much replaced my G-19 as my EDC. With the Shield magazine, you're getting the same amount of rounds in a smaller package.

I'd like to see a 5th Gen G-43x. Ambi slide release is appealing to left handed shooters, like my Wife.

Camping buddy? I'd go with the G-20.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Interesting post on FB today from Glock

quote:
The G47 MOS will replace the G17 Gen5 MOS, while the non-MOS configuration will remain in the lineup.

Link

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’m honestly surprised Glock still offers any non MOS guns with the exception of either specific contracts or markets like CA.

Seems like it would be easier for them to just churn out MOS slides.

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You might be surprised at the number of us who don't want their Glocks cut up for some gadget we'll never use. Just as with the front serrations, I find slides modified for these sights to be an offense to the eye.

Glock knows their customers, and don't forget that Glocks are sold the world over. These little battery-operated tumors might be little used in many of Glock's markets around the world. Adding several machining operations to the slide, and adding extra parts like screws and plates, adds to the price of these pistols.

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Trijicon mounted to my Gen 5 MOS G17 two years ago. Having buyer's remorse on that setup. It just seems a little ungainly.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I resisted the red dot craze for a long time. I am not speaking aesthetics, but for fast accurate shooting once you get it down its way faster. Whether someone has a use for faster shooting obviously comes down to the purpose for which one wants a particular Glock. Or maybe you want to carry one and therefore the red dot is a hindrance. I think that it makes sense for Glock to offer MOS options.
Personally, I would not cut a non MOS slide for a red dot. If Glock does not offer a factory MOS option then I would go in a different direction.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
26 Gen 3 with an RMR for me is an excellent combo. Fit most of the circumstances I encounter and the optic lets me reach out beyond what I can do with the original sights.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1554 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
No, I totally agree that the vast number of folks are not on board with dots on pistols. I was thinking more from a manufacturing side of things.

Glocks are very utilitarian guns and I would imagine few folks buy them for their aesthetics or cool factor if you will. So it surprises me they don’t just say it’s easier for us to run one slide and be done with it. Like rails, which also elicit or have elicited much the same response I just figure optics cuts will be SOP sooner then later, for better or worse.

It’s a different story when talking about a Beretta 92 or Hi-power or 1911 or the like. All of those can be bought and I would argue are bought in many cases as “kinetic art” if you will and I could see people balking at messing with that “art”. Glocks not so much, I would imagine most folks would just chalk it up to a feature they will never use on an already ugly pistol. (Not a shot across the Glock bow as I think they are great guns but they are as utilitarian as they come)

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I'm one that won't buy a Glock with the cuts. Why pay an extra $50 for something I will not use..ever. I just bought a 43X and my neighbor bought a 43 about six months ago so that's two that would not have sold if Glock went MOS only.

Who ever likes them or feels they need one that's fine..good and great, knock yourself out but I don't want any MOS cuts, rails, front serrations, Windows or adjustable back straps.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’m going to say something about Glock I’ve never said. I own Glocks, I shoot Glocks, I’ve used Glocks for self defense and I think they are fantastic tools but I’ve never really “liked” Glocks. I mean I like them well enough but they never really stirred any emotion in me.

So all the above said …….. I FRIGGIN LOVE THE GLOCK 45. It is by far my favorite Glock I’ve ever owned and I legit like it even beyond that of a great tool. It’s just the perfect mix of attributes for me and feels and shoots great. I have always liked full grip/abbreviated slide guns.

Anyway I am going on record saying I love a Glock. Smile

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I’m going to say something about Glock I’ve never said. I own Glocks, I shoot Glocks, I’ve used Glocks for self defense and I think they are fantastic tools but I’ve never really “liked” Glocks. I mean I like them well enough but they never really stirred any emotion in me.

So all the above said …….. I FRIGGIN LOVE THE GLOCK 45. It is by far my favorite Glock I’ve ever owned and I legit like it even beyond that of a great tool. It’s just the perfect mix of attributes for me and feels and shoots great. I have always liked full grip/abbreviated slide guns.

Anyway I am going on record saying I love a Glock. Smile

Well it is Valentines Day!

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I don’t love it that much. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems like it would be easier for them to just churn out MOS slides

And the marketplace in general would agree with you. The G47 is the first to follow this pattern and it probably won't be the last as the Gen5 big calibers have shown. The most common complaint about Glock from our customers is how difficult it sometimes can be to find a MOS version of the model that they're after. Glock does have a habit of making too few of their most in-demand guns.

Something I thought that I'd never realistically see from them, a factory SKU gun with a RDS preinstalled:

G43X rail with Shield RDS. Nice and LOW, co-witnessing with standard height sights taking advantage of the relatively standardized dimension set for the small RDS format (sorry Trijicon RMRcc).

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You might be surprised at the number of us who don't want their Glocks cut up for some gadget we'll never use.

Yep. When I traded my first G45 for an early West German P226, I knew I was going to immediately replace it. I had a choice of seeking out a G45 MOS or the standard model. I got the standard model.

Maybe someday, I'll give an RDS gun a legit try and take a class for it or something, but I don't want to be limited to guns with MOS plates on them. I want the option, period.

Posts: 17126 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only Glock that I own is a Glock 20 in 10mm which I really like.

I’m issued a Glock 17 Gen 5 which is an excellent duty pistol which will be mine in a few months when I retire. The digits in the serial number are my badge number. Those of us old enough to have 3 digit badge numbers got this option when we transitioned to the Glock 17 several years ago from the Glock 21 .45acp.

Posts: 809 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe someday, I'll give an RDS gun a legit try and take a class for it or something, but I don't want to be limited to guns with MOS plates on them. I want the option, period.

Some of the optics companies are already working around the limitations of the MOS plate system by designing and making units that attach directly to the MOS slide, doing away with those annoying, sight-plane lifting plates altogether. That's the thing I dislike the most about the MOS design; those currently mandatory adapter plates and what they and thick-based RDSs do with my draw and how a Glock comes up, a motion that I've developed and deeply ingrained over the past 33 years. When I shoot with optics on other guns like my Canik, EDC X9 or Alien, I've adjusted pretty well to those guns because I don't have that so-called muscle memory like I do with Glocks. When I shooting a plated Glock like my Gen4 G19 MOS...it's been a regular frustration for me. This old dog ain't diggin' the need for learnin' some new trick.

Since I've generally had very good results with the brand, I've bought the SCS sight for Glock from Holosun to try. It mounts directly into the factory MOS slide cut and circumvents the need for an adapter plate. They also claim that the base 'deck' is low enough to allow co-witnessing with standard Glock iron sights, again circumventing the usual aftermarket raised suppressor-height sights needed to co-witness with a plated RDS. Now I just need my newly discontinued Gen5 G17 MOS to get out of WA State background check purgatory; if it does what they promise than I may do it again for my longslide VP9 and its factory pre-milled slide. Good for the goose...

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Mono,

I can’t speak to the durability, longevity or QC of the Holosun SCS MOS but their advertising has been true as far as my one example is concerned.

Mine mounted easily, has held zero (over like 200 paltry rounds so grain of salt) absolutely co-witnesses with stock Glock sites (or any normal height aftermarket) and so far has been a pretty amazing little piece of kit.

The internal battery (God it drives me crazy when you see all the “it doesn’t have a battery!” BS) charges very slowly based on the literature and discharges very slowly so it SHOULD last a very very long time.

If you go by the documentation it should only use around 35 micro amps in a week if kept in a dark safe and throwing it under bright non sunlight lights should charge it between 1-10 micro amps an hour. So basically put it under a 1000 or so lumen light for a few hours a week and you should never have an issue.

If the documentation is even close to correct you should virtually have a forever dot as long as you do a little charging now and then. (hell if it never leaves a dark safe it is for all intents and purposes a forever dot Smile)
Also the battery, charging and discharging so slowly SHOULD make for a very long lived device. I mean I have an IPhone 4s and 1st Gen IPAD that still hold a charge so this should be good for at least a decade.

All in all I am more happy with my SCS than I imagined I would be.

Take care, shoot safe
Chris

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Also while the battery is “not user replaceable” it’s pretty obvious where it’s mounted and covered with the access plate screws or whatever simply covered with some polymer or other coating. It APPEARS that it would be fairly easy to replace the battery assuming one could source one and I would imagine they are set up for fairly easy warranty work.