SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Your favorite .357 Revolver?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your favorite .357 Revolver? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
What is your favorite .357 revolver to shoot. Not to carry or anything just to shoot.
Never owned a .357 but shot a number of them most of them Smiths but I could not tell you what models they were.
Though I can tell you my favorite was a 6” Python (original) not the new creations.
I want a shooter and don’t want anything less than a 4” barrel but doubt I want a 6”.
There is a 4.25” Python and a Target King Cobra locally with the Cobra being about $500 cheaper.
Not sure the difference but have also heard not the greatest things about current production guns.

Though this may not be the greatest idea as I will likely want a lever gun in .357 as well.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
My absolute favorite .357 to shoot is my 4” Ruger Speed Six. It fits my hand about as perfect as I can imagine.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite to shoot is a 686 hands down.

Posts: 207 | Location: Baconton,GA. | Registered: April 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For shooting I prefer an early Model 27 S&W with 5" barrel. The early 1970s evolution of the original .357 Magnum revolver from the 1930s. Plenty strong enough for any magnum ammo and plenty of weight to handle the recoil.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1092 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
My 4” S&W 586 is smooth & sweet. I have a bunch, newest a Kimber K6, 3”.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
L frame Smith and Wesson. My favorite is my 686-1. But my 586-3 and 2 1/2 inch 686-3 are right up there. They will not be sold during my lifetime.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
My 3" S&W 686 is my favorite.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Well since you said shoot, it would have to be my GP 100's. I have a 6 shot 4" and a 7 shot 6". Both are light recoil guns, much more so than the S&W guns. Well aside from the M-28 and the M27 I have.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
S&W Model 19 4" barrel is my favorite. Shots well and in my mind is a beautiful revolver.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1530 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
My 4” S&W 586 is smooth & sweet. I have a bunch, newest a Kimber K6, 3”.

I am glad you mentioned the K6. I just handled the 2” model the other day it felt really really nice and looks really slick.
I think they make some 4” models may have to keep an eye out.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6" S&W Model 586. Second place is a tie between my 6" nickel Model 19 and my 4" 686.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
686 with 4 inch barrel

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
4" 66 with the wide hammer and trigger.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
686 with 6 inch barrel.

Old Bianchi 111 Cyclone Belt Holster to put it in.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
My 4” Model 28-2.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Either my 681PC or my 627PC 2 5/8.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Favorite is my 5" GP100, though my 3" GP100 isn't a slouch either.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a 4” S&W Mod 65 that shoots like a dream, bought it from my friend who was using it in CCW training and it’s been dry fired a bazillion times ..the trigger is smooooth.

My other favorite was my Ruger GP the weight absorbed much of he recoil and they are a tank….

I sold my Python to my FIL, and it was a dream..the six inch barrel added weight and recoil was nothing. Maybe I’ll get it back one day

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
My favorite? Far and away my m19 from the early '70s. Been with me all the while and it does everything well. My unfavorite? The 327 with the 4" barrel. Its a killer to shoot. On both ends. Just plain nasty except to carry.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W Model 27 5 inch or my Model 13 3 inch.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post