SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Your favorite .357 Revolver?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your favorite .357 Revolver? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
For the shooting...not for carry...it's a toss up between my Smith M27 with a 5" bbl, and a Ruger Flat Top with a 4-5/8" bbl. Both are heavy enough to enjoy range time with most any load and with a long enough bbl. to see some real precision...if any is still left in my 75 yo eyes. From a solid rest (keith's old long range position with knees drawn up and the gun held with a solid back rest), either gun in my examples will produce near 1" groups at 25+ yards on demand with my loads...

Skeeter once wrote that a 5" Smith M27 was his idea of a perfect .357 and I'd have to agree but for the short cylinder that precludes crimping Keith's Lyman 358429, a-170 grain SWC, in the designated crimping groove...the Ruger Flat Top is not subject to that limitation but it does lack the DA mode of fire...which I personally enjoy.

YMMv but make mine one of those two...Rod

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rodfac,

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 727 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
S&W 586 L-Comp. L frame with a 3" barrel. This is a sweet pistol that's fun to shoot. I only have one other .357 (Taurus Mod 66), so It's easy for the 586 to be the favorite.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD DRIVER:
My favorite to shoot is a 686 hands down.

Your mouth to God's ear. I have a 4" and a 6", would recommend the 686 series in a heartbeat to anyone looking for an all-around workhorse that looks good and is fun to shoot.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W model 28 Highway Patrolman

POW/MIA: You are Not Forgotten

Posts: 474 | Location: East St.Louis, Il. | Registered: June 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen or tried the Taurus 692 that is a 7-shot that comes with separate cylinders that can fire 9mm and 38-special / 357 magnum ??? Looks like they come in 2.5; 3, and 6.5-inch barrel lengths. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen or tried the Taurus 692 that is a 7-shot that comes with separate cylinders that can fire 9mm and 38-special / 357 magnum ??? Looks like they come in 2.5; 3, and 6.5-inch barrel lengths. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone seen or tried the Taurus 692 that is a 7-shot that comes with separate cylinders that can fire 9mm and 38-special / 357 magnum ??? Looks like they come in 2.5; 3, and 6.5-inch barrel lengths. God Bless

I have not, but that's a pretty cool idea for a DA platform...I'd love a convertible like that in a DA revolver. It frustrates me that Taurus makes (or made) some stuff that's really interesting on paper (The snubby model 450 in .45 Colt, and a J-Frame copy in .327 are just a few others I'm interested in), but they suck so bad at QC that I can't bring myself to get burned by them again. The two Taurus revolvers I owned had timing and lockup problems, and I've fixed timing issues on two others owned by friends in the past year. My theory is that the ratchets are poorly heat treated and wear prematurely, as that seems to be the problem I come across most often.

The other thing that annoys me is their insistence on porting everything. I know they offer models without porting, but it seems like an excessive number of them have it. In my experience, it doesn't make much difference doing the thing it's supposed to be doing (keep the muzzle down under recoil), but it does introduce a lot more flinch-inducing blast and flash back to the shooter, and sometimes even unburned powder and other particulate. It's also a pita to clean all the soot out of those little holes and off the front sight all the time. My .44 was ported, and it was the thing that I hated the most about it, apart from it's propensity to jump time and drop the hammer on the case rim rather than the primer Eek!

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
Just bought this from my Friend... in the running now for a new favorite???

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 223 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t really have a favorite. Torn between a 6” GP100, 4” 686, and a 4” Mark V Trooper with vent rib. Its so hard to find 357 ammo that isn’t ridiculously priced that I am not shooting them much lately. The last couple of trips out with a revolver I shot the Mark V.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Beagle:
quote:
Originally posted by JD DRIVER:
My favorite to shoot is a 686 hands down.

Your mouth to God's ear. I have a 4" and a 6", would recommend the 686 series in a heartbeat to anyone looking for an all-around workhorse that looks good and is fun to shoot.

I'm with you guys on the 686. It's a great multipurpose .357 Magnum revolver.

They are not too big and not too little. They are strong enough for hot loads. They are durable. They tend to be very accurate. Lots of grip options for different hands and needs.

But the thing that really sets it apart is the action. With just a little tuning, you'll get an unrivaled DA pull.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first handgun was a S&W Model 28-2. Still own it and enjoy shooting it.

Posts: 122 | Location: Hernando, MS | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MPrimo
posted Hide Post
S&W 386 Night Guard!

MPrimo

Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps ... well, you get the point!

Posts: 617 | Location: New England | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
My S&W K Comp... Good for carry and for shooting.

OK...so I might have a couple of wheelguns...

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Toxo, that is a great revolver. I just purchased one also. Very impressed. Wink

See my post

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...6031561/m/2440077784

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2767 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:
Toxo, that is a great revolver. I just purchased one also. Very impressed. Wink

See my post

Love it, I've got a new set of springs coming that will make this even better! Then I'm going to run it through the ringer Big Grin

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 223 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dbuck47:

My personal .357 is a Smith M13 33 inch and one of my favorite firearms to shoot , but not with magnums.

With nearly three feet of barrel, I should think magnums would be quite tolerable! Big Grin

The three-inch heavy-barrel K-frames have quite a following. M13 blued, and M65 stainless in mag, and M10 and M64 in .38. Fantastic carry-guns.

I'm quite a fan of the Wessons. However, nothing handles warm loads, and the recoil, like a nice BlackHawk. On the DA side, the GP100 is the natural choice. Either of these are must-have TEOTWAWKI choices for sucking up the .357, LOL.

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colts are beautiful IMHO ...Pythons especially.

Smiths shoot really well.

Rugers are tanks .

I actually like my Dan Wesson the best though. Nice trigger out of the box , looks nice, you can change barrels . I have a couple lengths to choose from. They are just different and I enjoy shooting it as well as looking at it....

Posts: 543 | Registered: January 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Favorite to shoot?
My 4in Python, hands down! The smoothest shooting pistol I own. My buddy has a 6in that I'm rather fond of too, but he ain't sellin' it.

The S&W Mod-19 or the -66 are up there as well!
2, 4 or 6in... For me, the sweet spot is the 4in. These are the pistols I first really learned how to shoot with. (Thank you Uncle Sam!)

Every once in a while, my mean streak comes out- and sometimes my favorite .357 to watch others shoot is my 340PD with some magnum rounds in it. I like carrying it, using it with +p or +p+ isn't bad, but the hell with that magnum shit!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8347 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Ruger SP101. Handles magnum loads well & shoots like a much bigger gun.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Smith 627-0 . Built like a tank and shoots great .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post