SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Your favorite .357 Revolver?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your favorite .357 Revolver? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
1968 4" python that i bought new!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: airbubba,

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
For me, it’s a toss-up between these two S&W 27-2s, one with a 5-inch barrel and the other 3-1/2-inches.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
My favorite to shoot is a S&W 686 either in 4” or 3” varieties.

Posts: 2929 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love S&W .357s and I consider them (especially older ones) works of art. But for boringly consistent performance, durability and accuracy, you cant beat the GP100. Its construction is, even now, innovative and lends itself to better durability and ease of maintenance.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
I used to have a 4” 581 no dash that was my favorite to shoot. Shoulda kept that one…

Posts: 325 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GP100 for me, but I carried one for many years for work and feel comfortable with it

Posts: 111 | Location: Mechanicsburg,Pa | Registered: June 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I own a few. I have a 640 Pro, a 66-4 4", an Old Model Blackhawk 4 5/8", a Speed-Six 2 3/4", an SP101 3", and a GP-100 4". While some of these outperform others in certain areas, my favorite to just take to the range and shoot is the GP100.

The trigger is superp...long, smooth, and not overly heavy in DA, light and crisp in SA. The gun has excellent balance, and the weight and excellent factory robber grips make shooting even the hottest .357 loads a non-event. And it's built beefy enough that there's no concern whatsoever that you're going to crack a forcing cone or otherwise wear the gun out. It's also stupid accurate, and easy to detail strip for cleaning with it's modular trigger assembly (no side plate screws to strip out!).

I'd wanted a .357 K-Frame for years, and recently acquired the model 66 listed above. It's a really, really nice gun....but I still have to admit that my GP100 is better. It may not be the best carry option of my list, or the easiest to conceal...and if I could only own one it might not be the one I'd pick...but as just a general shooter it can't be beat.

Posts: 8388 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite is my Wiley Clapp edition of the GP100. 3 inch barrel and I changed out some springs and put the compact grip on which is perfect in this “snubbie”.

My 627 Pro is my second favorite. 8 shots, moon clips, it’s a sweet gun. Knocked out the Hilary hole and pluggeg it so it’s almost perfect.

Posts: 7327 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Favorite to shoot is a tough choice for me, I own many 357 Magnum revolvers and I enjoy most of them. As a hand loader I find the 357 Magnum cartridge quite versitile.

One of my favorites is my 5" Smith & Wesson Model 327 TRR8

This is an 8 shot revolver that is built on a Scandium alloy frame. This big N-frame revolver weighs in about the same as a snub nosed Model 18 or 66. It just handles beautifully

The revolver uses the same kind of tensioned barrel system that made Dan Wesson famous for accuracy during the Metallic Silhouette days.

The Model 327 TRR8 and it brother the Model 327 M&P R8 are the most accurate Smith & Wesson 357 Magnum revolvers that I have ever fired

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
6” S&W 686

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
My overall favorite was a older friends 6" Python that I shot as a teenager.

Of my current .357 guns this one is my favorite to shoot (B&W photo since its an old school wheelgun). Uberti 1873 with birdshead grip. This thing is so much fun to shoot.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kept Bum
posted Hide Post
I have a Smith 27 with 6"bbl. Suits me fine, never lets me down.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth.".....Chief Joseph

https://pbase.com/shellyva/image/171613535

Posts: 88 | Location: Out there, somewhere | Registered: May 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
For me, it’s a toss-up between these two S&W 27-2s, one with a 5-inch barrel and the other 3-1/2-inches.

That one, that 27-2 3.5"

The Jelly Bryce gun, in my mind.

That is the meanest looking motherfucking .357 Roscoe there ever was.

Thanks for posting that picture TheFrontRange. That gun, with factory wood grips is the first gun that occurred to me in response to the OP.

Posts: 5096 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Favorite to shoot? That's easy--S&W 686-5 seven-shooter with a five-inch half-lug Barrel--Believe it was a "Stocking Dealer Special" at one time. Mine has a KILLER Action Job by Randy Lee at Apex Tactical, SDM Fiber Optic Front Sight and an old Millett Adjustable Rear Sight with the Rear Notch opened about fifteen thousandth or so--Its so easy to shoot, it makes ME look good--LOL!

Posts: 641 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
What is your favorite .357 revolver to shoot. Not to carry or anything just to shoot.
Never owned a .357 but shot a number of them most of them Smiths but I could not tell you what models they were.
Though I can tell you my favorite was a 6” Python (original) not the new creations.
I want a shooter and don’t want anything less than a 4” barrel but doubt I want a 6”.
There is a 4.25” Python and a Target King Cobra locally with the Cobra being about $500 cheaper.
Not sure the difference but have also heard not the greatest things about current production guns.

Though this may not be the greatest idea as I will likely want a lever gun in .357 as well.

I bought a 6" new production Python a few months ago, my first centerfire revolver, and find it to be an exceptional handgun. So much so that I bought a 4 1/4 barreled version as soon as it became locally available. Although there certainly were some issues with some very early production models, Colt tackled them quickly and they have been resolved.

There is a gunsmith that participates over at the Colt forum I follow. His professional opinion is that in many ways the new Pythons are superior revolvers vs the older models in many ways, particularly in the more robust trigger/lockwork. I find the double action to be exceptionally smooth if a little heavy for my tastes, and the single action very nice.

I don't think you will be disappointed in the new Python.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:

That one, that 27-2 3.5"

The Jelly Bryce gun, in my mind.

That is the meanest looking motherfucking .357 Roscoe there ever was.

Thanks for posting that picture TheFrontRange. That gun, with factory wood grips is the first gun that occurred to me in response to the OP.

Hey, thank you! That 3.5 has grown on me even more than I thought it would - I find myself shooting it almost every range session and now carrying it at times.

I had some Eagle Secret Service Grips on this one once upon a time and may give those another try. The Pachmayrs aren’t very aesthetic but they do feel good while shooting and haven’t posed an issue for carry. All in all, I missed-out on grabbing some Skelton-style grips from Blu Magnum with the passing last year of Tedd Adamovich.

Now the original factory grips and maybe a Tyler T-Grip - I believe I could go for that, too! Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Toss up between S&W Nickel 586 4" and Colt Trooper .357 also 4" barrel. Both are very easy to shoot. The best looker is my 2-1/2" Python.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2743 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
686 6” followed by an early DW715

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
A 6" 686 is pretty hard to beat, I have owned a few. Currently the only one I own is a beat up 681 4" and it's a sweet shooter too

Posts: 5291 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
My 5" 8 shot Performance Center 627. This was made back in 1997 when the Performance Center turned out great pistols.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9356 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post