SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG-Sauer announces the P220 10mm
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 77
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG-Sauer announces the P220 10mm Login/Join 
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
I've been a loyal member here for a long time now. I think all of you should chip in and buy me one when they come out. Big Grin

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigNull:
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
Underwood seems be be the choice for SD ammo. Many choices from 135 gr to 200 gr with it seems the most mention of 180gr. Is 180 the best choice and why?

If I recall correctly, the original 10mm called for a 200 grain bullet at 1200 fps. I think they got that right.

That was the load that made 10mm Naorma famous, so to speak, but it was also famous for beating up and breaking both guns and shooters.

By way of rough comparison, the original Norma 200 gr. load made 240PF. (Bullet weight in grains X velocity in FPS, a useful metric for momentum.) It was soon considered excessive for continuous shooting.

Yet now look at the velocities and power factors claimed for the even heavier loads from the small, boutique ammo makers. Upwards of 250PF and beyond, anyone? One maker advertises a 220gr bullet at 1200FPS! That works out to 264PF!!!

When we built our P220-10's, I believe we wisely cautioned against anything more than the most limited possible use (if any) of these ultra-hot loads. We built a solid 10mm pistol within some limitations posed by the factory P220 slide mass and lockup values, However, that warning was NOT because our pistols were "10mm Lite" per se as some thought at the time, but rather because in my objective opinion based on decades of experience, they are as excessive as they are unnecessary.

I frankly question the testing regimes used to certify some of them as being within SAAMI standards. The original 200gr Norma load was still considered safe enough for the partially unsupported chamber of the early Colt Delta Elite and wouldn't blow cases, whereas the same cannot be said for the hottest of the boutique offerings.

I would apply the same caution to their steady use in ANY 10mm pistol.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DYNAMITE
THE PASSES!
Picture of Solitar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
quote:
If I recall correctly, the original 10mm called for a 200 grain bullet at 1200 fps. I think they got that right.

That was the load that made 10mm Norma famous, so to speak, but it was also famous for beating up and breaking both guns and shooters.

Then that is a challenge for SIG-Sauer to meet.
A solid 40 ounce (unloaded weight) steel-framed pistol which can reliably handle thousands of rounds of 200 grains at 1300 fps and PF of 260 (the same as the .45 Super Express I got from Texas Ammo 200 grains at 1300 fps -- and verified by Sigfreund's chrono). Eek
That's why I "needed" a SIG P220 in stainless steel. Wink

The right to keep and bear arms, military arms, shall not be infringed -- period!

Posts: 10723 | Registered: May 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Solitar:
quote:
quote:

That was the load that made 10mm Norma famous, so to speak, but it was also famous for beating up and breaking both guns and shooters.

A solid 40 ounce (unloaded weight) steel-framed pistol which can reliably handle thousands of rounds of 200 grains at 1300 fps and PF of 260 (the same as the .45 Super Express I got from Texas Ammo 200 grains at 1300 fps -- and verified by Sigfreund's chrono). Eek

40 ounces / conventional design / thousands of rounds @ 260PF, maybe, maybe not. TENS of thousands is unrealistic. 260PF almost certainly exceeds SAAMI specs, my friend. You can maybe get away with it, for a while, but why push that hard when anything in North America will fall to 240?

I believe folks have the impression that such heroic loads are the standard benchmark for 10mm. They are not. There are very good reasons why 10mm Norma was slightly downrated in the 90's, and why the major ammo makers load to "reasonable" levels.

"Reasonable" does not mean "weak" or "inadequate". It means it won't blow the grips off your gun and injure you. We have seen exactly that with two examples of such overloads from a boutique maker. I urge caution and common sense, Solitar. That's all I'm driving at. Thanks for letting me explain this in such detail.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
I've been a loyal member here for a long time now. I think all of you should chip in and buy me one when they come out. Big Grin

I agree, Jupe! How you been?

-Bruce

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:

I agree, Jupe! How you been?

-Bruce

Been doing good my friend.
Still spending $$$$$ on guns I don't need. Pretty hard to believe, right? Smile
I'm excited about this 10mm P-220. I NEED one to keep my S&W 610 company.
I may splurge and send it to the best Sig Sauer Smith on the Planet for the VOLCANO package.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Underwood seems be be the choice for SD ammo. Many choices from 135 gr to 200 gr with it seems the most mention of 180gr. Is 180 the best choice and why?

That was the load that made 10mm Naorma famous, so to speak, but it was also famous for beating up and breaking both guns and shooters.

By way of rough comparison, the original Norma 200 gr. load made 240PF. (Bullet weight in grains X velocity in FPS, a useful metric for momentum.) It was soon considered excessive for continuous shooting.

Yet now look at the velocities and power factors claimed for the even heavier loads from the small, boutique ammo makers. Upwards of 250PF and beyond, anyone? One maker advertises a 220gr bullet at 1200FPS! That works out to 264PF!!!

When we built our P220-10's, I believe we wisely cautioned against anything more than the most limited possible use (if any) of these ultra-hot loads. We built a solid 10mm pistol within some limitations posed by the factory P220 slide mass and lockup values, However, that warning was NOT because our pistols were "10mm Lite" per se as some thought at the time, but rather because in my objective opinion based on decades of experience, they are as excessive as they are unnecessary.

I frankly question the testing regimes used to certify some of them as being within SAAMI standards. The original 200gr Norma load was still considered safe enough for the partially unsupported chamber of the early Colt Delta Elite and wouldn't blow cases, whereas the same cannot be said for the hottest of the boutique offerings.

I would apply the same caution to their steady use in ANY 10mm pistol.

-Bruce

It seems from the little bit of ballistic "testing" I've seen on YouTube that the boutique manufacturers that are loading them up and using 180gr or less have issues with jacket desperation on bullets that were intended to withstand .40 velocities. It seems like there is a fine line to walk being able to generate high velocities while having a bullet that will maintain integrity.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally I've been much enamored with the Win . Silvertip load in 10mm. Kills, drops, boinks, dings, just anything that gets in its path.
Dale

POW/MIA: You are Not Forgotten

Posts: 474 | Location: East St.Louis, Il. | Registered: June 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeremiahjj
posted Hide Post
That is great news! It will be a perfect partner for my stainless P245. And to think I already have the Dillon 10mm press!

SIGnature: Jere

Posts: 1369 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colo. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badkarma 1:
Personally I've been much enamored with the Win . Silvertip load in 10mm. Kills, drops, boinks, dings, just anything that gets in its path.
Dale

That was one of the tests I watched. It performed very well, though it really wasn't much different from a comparable .40 load. If I'm going 10 Mike Mike, I want the WOW factor that separates it from others. Big Grin

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeremiahjj
posted Hide Post
quote:
snip

Tried 10mm years ago in a S&W 1066. Man it will put a smile on your face a mile wide. I bet with some Underwood it would be just crazy!

You must have shot some of the original 10mm ammo -- before it got dumbed down to just a little hotter than .40 caliber. Reloading's only way to bring that smile back today.

But if Sig brings back the Mighty 10 and there's a lot of excitement, who knows? Maybe the manufacturers will bring back the original load, which hunters particularly liked. Oh, I forgot ... the (soon-to-be-former) administration wants to buy up stuff people want. Glad I have a supply of Star cases and the stuff that goes with it.

Posts: 1369 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colo. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeremiahjj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dosborn81:
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
Good thing I have a spare Dillon Quick Change Kit.

Oh, I've got the .40/10mm dies already set up in their bushings (Hornady LNL AP), it's the brass that's my problem. If I could score a good deal on some brass, I'd spend a day with the G20 and let it wear me out. Big Grin

Doesn't Star still sell it?

DYNAMITE
THE PASSES!
Picture of Solitar
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems from the little bit of ballistic "testing" I've seen on YouTube that the boutique manufacturers that are loading them up and using 180gr or less have issues with jacket desperation on bullets that were intended to withstand .40 velocities. It seems like there is a fine line to walk being able to generate high velocities while having a bullet that will maintain integrity.

Yes, as described at this Shooting Times article
How do Handgun Cartridges Perform in Rifle Barrels?
quote:
Hollowpoint bullets that give good penetration and expansion in a revolver at 1,200 to 1,300 fps can become fragile, varmint-class bullets at rifle velocities.

Instead of hollowpoints, use soft points or hard cast bullets as used in .357, .41 and .44 magnums when used in carbines push them far faster than any 10mm pistol could do.
Such as
DoubleTap 200 gr Hardcast at 1300 fps

The right to keep and bear arms, military arms, shall not be infringed -- period!

Posts: 10723 | Registered: May 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeremiahjj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's remarkable, if you consider that it has been 30 years or more since SIG-Sauer offered the P220 in a new caliber.

BTW, SIG-Sauer is developing 10mm ammunition for their new blasters.

Sig is going into the ammo business? Come to think of it, why not? Like H.L. Hunt and silver decades ago, they'd have a corner on the market.

Picture of jeremiahjj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheOtherDave:
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
220 in 10mm with a 5" barrel would make a very nice woods gun.

Yeah, it would. I've been thinking about getting a Glock 20 for that very purpose (and still might, depending on the weight and $$ differences), but... I really like Sigs more.

I have the G20SF and am very pleased with it. The two handguns are different platforms. Yes, Sigs are solid and well-built, but hey, Glocks rock too and you can't wear 'em out. Glocks are like Beechcraft airplanes -- they all fly the same. I don't plan on getting rid of the Glock. I'll just be adding the P220.

Picture of jeremiahjj
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Solitar:
quote:
quote:

40 ounces / conventional design / thousands of rounds @ 260PF, maybe, maybe not. TENS of thousands is unrealistic. 260PF almost certainly exceeds SAAMI specs, my friend. You can maybe get away with it, for a while, but why push that hard when anything in North America will fall to 240?

I believe folks have the impression that such heroic loads are the standard benchmark for 10mm. They are not. There are very good reasons why 10mm Norma was slightly downrated in the 90's, and why the major ammo makers load to "reasonable" levels.

"Reasonable" does not mean "weak" or "inadequate". It means it won't blow the grips off your gun and injure you. We have seen exactly that with two examples of such overloads from a boutique maker. I urge caution and common sense, Solitar. That's all I'm driving at. Thanks for letting me explain this in such detail.

-Bruce

I've stayed out of this conversation because Bruce is the authority. That said, I can speak with authority on what happens when a reloader confuses 9.5 GRAINS for 9.5 GRAMS as he weighs powder. The first sound he hears from a G20 will be the gun firing. The second sound will be the mag hitting the deck. When the feeling returns to his hand he might check his fingers for burns. Can't say what a P220 would do under those circumstances, but over-the-counter I wouldn't buy anything stronger than what Double-Tap or maybe Buffalo Bore has to offer -- and to repeat -- be v e r y careful if you're a reloader. Incidentally, this particular Ka-Boom was a clear demonstration of how well Glocks are made. The pistol performed like it was supposed to and was actually repairable! 'Nuff said on that.

posted Hide Post
As of this summer, my go to Alaska, field 10mm load for use in the S&W 1076/1066 and Glock 29 is the Federal Trophy Bonded 180 grain. It feeds in those pistols, and unlike the boutique loads from Double Tap, Underwood and Buffalo Bore, is loaded by a major manufacturer.

In particular, I have had terrible luck with the Buffalo Bore 200 FMJ-FP load -- it doesn't feed in the 1076, 1066 and multiple Glock 20 and 29 pistols.

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Wow. I regularly carried a Glock 20 in the woods here in NH. Ammo became quite costly in which I ended up trading it off. Perhaps with SIG tossing its hat in the ring, 10mm ammo cost will go down due to higher demand and ammo manufacturer's will join in !

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5298 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeremiahjj:
quote:
Originally posted by dosborn81:
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
Good thing I have a spare Dillon Quick Change Kit.

Oh, I've got the .40/10mm dies already set up in their bushings (Hornady LNL AP), it's the brass that's my problem. If I could score a good deal on some brass, I'd spend a day with the G20 and let it wear me out. Big Grin

Doesn't Star still sell it?

I picked up some new Starline brass from Grafs just after this thread opened up.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Badkarma 1:
Dale

That was one of the tests I watched. It performed very well, though it really wasn't much different from a comparable .40 load. If I'm going 10 Mike Mike, I want the WOW factor that separates it from others. Big Grin

What "comparable .40 load" are you referring to?

The 175 Silver Tip at an advertised 1290 FPS is FAR more powerful than any .40, or most anything else for that matter. It's the specific load we recommend for practical use in our P220-10's. ON our chrono, test samples from a 5" Bar-Sto made every bit of 1300+.

A 175 @ 1290 is 10mm Norma. So is a 200 @ 1200.

A 200 @ 1250+ is borderline and possibly exceeds SAAMI specs.

A 200 @ 1300? Way overboard.

-Bruce

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.