SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Optics vs Iron Sights on Defensive Pistols
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optics vs Iron Sights on Defensive Pistols Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Well the hilary hole is just hideous. I don't care if it was foolproof I think it ruins a beautiful revolver. I said I would never buy a Smith with one but I had to. My old 6 shooters were getting me creamed at revolver matches so I bought 627 Pro and removed the guts and installed the plug. Much better.

As for optics on rifles I always have BUIS. Seems easy. For pistols I really like the direction the Holosun SCS is taking us. Low enough that suppressor height sights are unnecessary. I think that trend and the closed optic will combine to perhaps produce the best of breed optic.

I love the red dot on a pistol but I still mostly shoot irons. My favorite guns typically aren't optics plate ready and I don't really like non factory options in that regard.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well the hilary hole is just hideous

Praise Jesus and testify that is an undeniable fact! Smile.

I really like the SCS, far more than I expected to. On a Glock it is the first optic I have seen that aesthetically looks like a future optic that is just part of the gun.

I, being somewhat OCD in some ways, do find myself pulling it out weekly to charge it though. This is ABSOLUTELY unnecessary based on the tech specs. You can leave it in the dark safe for damn ever assuming the specs are even close to true, but it makes me feel better to give it some light every week.

If I would to ask for anything on it I would like a slightly easier to use interface button, I would like some form of battery level, and I would like some form of usb-c charging option. I would not want to give up the form factor for any of that however. So these are really nitpicks/wishes not complaints. In my short, normal guy, experience it’s a great optic. I have not gotten around to pouring syrup in it or setting on fire or running it over with a Bobcat or anything yet though so who knows. Wink. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
As an iron sight shooter, I do like the option of the red dot, but I have as of yet to try them. I'll eventually take one pistol I have and mount a red dot on it and attempt to adjust to it, all the while keeping an open mind and giving it a chance.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I’d say you are correct. Trijicon swore the SRO not to be “duty rated” for the first part of its life. After becoming immensely popular with the tactical crowd because “bigger window” they relented and claimed that it is duty rated.

I still run only RMRs. To each their own.

The SRO uses the same electronics as the RMR. There is no problem there.

The shape of thr larger SRO window is what makes it more fragile than the RMR.

I dropped an SRO equipped pistol onto a concrete floor and the glass did Crack.

The dot remained functional other than the cracked window.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Klusk2:
As an iron sight shooter, I do like the option of the red dot, but I have as of yet to try them. I'll eventually take one pistol I have and mount a red dot on it and attempt to adjust to it, all the while keeping an open mind and giving it a chance.

That's how I feel. I have an extra P365X slide and a 507k that I'm going to tryout at the range. Keeping an open mind about this but my gut is that I'll stick with irons.

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I got to wondering the other day. For the folks who have had trouble with MRDS vs those who took to them easily do you traditionally shoot both eyes open or one eye closed? I’ve always shot both eyes open and never had any issues picking up and shooting a dotted pistol. I wonder if that is part of the learning curve as lots of folks are used to shooting one eye closed.

I was just thinking about this as I was dry firing the other day.

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Both eyes open.

If you close an eye, you are wasting effort. MRDS are to their fullest potential when you shoot both eyes open and use binocular vision for what it’s supposed to be.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
No, I know to use both eyes. What I was wondering is the folks I have run into at ranges or online etc. who have a really hard time adapting to an MRDS, I wonder if they traditionally shoot one eyed and that causes some extra learning curve or consternation vs folks who just naturally shoot both eyes open.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
No, I know to use both eyes. What I was wondering is the folks I have run into at ranges or online etc. who have a really hard time adapting to an MRDS, I wonder if they traditionally shoot one eyed and that causes some extra learning curve or consternation vs folks who just naturally shoot both eyes open.

It's more an issue of sight focus versus target focus and ultimately trusting that the dot will be there. Look at the target, keep both eyes open, present the gun well, and the dot will be there. People that struggle are generally people that get caught looking at the optic itself.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Yep, straight up.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only experience is shooting a buddy’s P365 XL with a Sig Romeo sight. While it seems to work fine most of the time, I have seen the batteries go out twice over the last year. I shoot with this friend once a week for reference. As for a HD or carry weapon - It seems to add in another failure variable. Its up to you to decide dealing with that is worth it.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently got my HK USP 40C back from one of the country's finer gunsmiths, who installed a Trijicon RMR on this pistol. I decided to add this red dot optic because at age 64, my front sight just isn't as crisp any more, even with 1.5x shooting glasses. After only a few sessions at the range with this RM06 optic, I must say : I'm a believer. It makes fast long distance shots much easier. And believe it or not, the first time I ever tried shooting with Night Vision Goggles, this HK 40C equipped with an RMO6 red dot allowed me a Zen moment - of putting 5 shots into a 2" group from 25 yards. No kidding. I was very surprised. But despite the fact that these red dot optics feel like cheating, they are a technology advantage we cannot ignore. Yes, we always need to be ready to default to our iron sights, but they offer such a speed advantage in critical situations that it's worth the time to train on them and master them. I've decided to put RM06 optics on several of my other handguns too.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
My only experience is shooting a buddy’s P365 XL with a Sig Romeo sight. While it seems to work fine most of the time, I have seen the batteries go out twice over the last year. I shoot with this friend once a week for reference. As for a HD or carry weapon - It seems to add in another failure variable. Its up to you to decide dealing with that is worth it.
+

When I added the RomeoZero red dot to my XL the battery it shipped with died very quickly. Its replacement lasted until my annual battery replacement.

But I hated the fact that the red dot replaced the rear sight. Even though the RomeoZero had a primitive notch to be used as a rear sight, it was slow going if the dot wasn't there. My other two red dot pistols have suppressor height sights which are fully visible through the window of the optic if needed.

Sig now offers an XL slide with suppressor height sights that retains the rear sight when the optic is added. I jumped on one and am now much happier with my P365 XL.

Like others have posted, I am more accurate and quicker with the red dot than without. But I always want the irons as a backup.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 955 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
That whole concept (the rear sight being integrated into the optic cut cover plate), was a significant FUBAR by SIG. They are now reversing it. I think I made a thread on it a while back.

quote:
Originally posted by Ranger41:
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
+

When I added the RomeoZero red dot to my XL the battery it shipped with died very quickly. Its replacement lasted until my annual battery replacement.

But I hated the fact that the red dot replaced the rear sight. Even though the RomeoZero had a primitive notch to be used as a rear sight, it was slow going if the dot wasn't there. My other two red dot pistols have suppressor height sights which are fully visible through the window of the optic if needed.

Sig now offers an XL slide with suppressor height sights that retains the rear sight when the optic is added. I jumped on one and am now much happier with my P365 XL.

Like others have posted, I am more accurate and quicker with the red dot than without. But I always want the irons as a backup.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t have an issue with accuracy with iron sights or with the optics. I am also totally comfortable with optics on rifles as previously mentioned. I’m not a big fan of suppressor height sights on pistols though. You’re changing something that affects your presentation and bullet impact. I’ve invested a lot of training time and ammo into being comfortable with the sight picture and POA/POI on my carry and HD pistols. I would have to invest at least 500 rounds on a change like that to retrain muscle memory and get comfortable with it before I would carry it.

I also don’t see any noticeable improvement (for me) at 10-15 yard distances using the pistol optic over sights. I can still see well enough I guess. So given the cost/time to retrain, the chance of optic/battery failure, and no noticeable improvement, its not something I need to invest in right now. Subject to change as I’m getting older.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
My three defensive pistols (one carry and two nightstand/close at hand) all wear red dots and suppressor height sights. The red dot gives me confidence that when "things go bump in the night" I have a sight I can see in low light situations. The nightstand pistol has a weapons mounted light if needed for identification and if the red dot fails. The close at hand pistol has a bright flashlight in its case. The suppressor height sights are quite visible silhouetted against a lighted target.

Tritium night sights don't work for me. In low light my old eyes no longer create a consistent sight picture with the typical three dot system, and all of my tritium sights need new vials.

I practice regularly with them and have no difficulty cleaning a 6" plate dueling tree at 10 yards while firing quickly. With my iron sight pistols I have to take more time and experience more misses.

This is what I feel comfortable with, but others will have different requirements and preferences.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 955 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post