SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    NFA wait times
Page 1 ... 130 131 132 133
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NFA wait times Login/Join 
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Haven’t 100% decided yet. Leaning towards the channel for the collapsible stock. Options are limited on the SP5 compared to an AR. I do those on the inside lip of the magwell. Meets requirements but you’ll never see it if you aren’t looking for it.

At least it’s easier than my Scorpion. My guy was able to fit the markings in the metal serial number plate, but if I’d had two more letters in my name I’d have been in trouble on that one.

Posts: 2654 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Well then. Guess I need to decide sooner than expected. Submitted my Form 1 on my SP5 at about 3pm Monday 9-9 and it was returned as Approved by 1pm Wednesday 9-11.

Still leaning hard towards the channel the sliding stock rides in. That should be fairly inconspicuous unless you look for it.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
That’s where I engraved my SP5K. It’s not noticeable after a bit of black touch up.

Post some pics of it!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17595 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its not noticeable because the sliding stock covers it? Otherwise it just right there on the side of the receiver...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11161 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
It's down in a kind of shaded area instead of on a flat surface. Really doesn't draw the eye as much, especially if you darken it afterwards. I'll get it done this weekend so I can add the stock Monday when it gets in. I wasn't expecting the stamp to come back anywhere near that fast.

Tri lug adapter came in for my Tirant today. I'm going to order a tri lug barrel for my Scorpion ASAP. That is definitely the way to go on a PCC suppressor.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I'm going to order a tri lug barrel for my Scorpion ASAP. That is definitely the way to go on a PCC suppressor.

You getting the In Lead We Trust one? If so, I'd be interested to hear your opinion on it here if/when you do. I've got to get mine apart and take the barrel to my buddy's machine shop. I have a Gen 1 with the M18 threading and he's going to rethread it for me in 1/2x28 to take the tri lug adapter I bought for it. I got the tri lug on my Stribog and can and even without shooting it yet, it's so much easier to deal with. I'm already a fan.

Posts: 17618 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a threaded barrel from them. I like it a lot. I got it to replace the factory fake suppressor and at the time had no real interest in putting a real can on the gun. Tri lugs were perpetually out of stock so I got the regular threaded one. Now I’m torn between taking the gun apart again for another swap or just using an adapter and a lot of Rockset…

Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
It's down in a kind of shaded area instead of on a flat surface. Really doesn't draw the eye as much, especially if you darken it afterwards.

This. It's pretty subtle. Mine is "... TRUST EDGEWOOD, NM".

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17595 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is there a reason you didn't put it on the other end of the channel so it would be covered even when the stock is extended?

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
ATF wants it visible without having to remove parts. Front part of the channel is OK. Back part wouldn't be unless you removed the stock. You also can't do the trunnion anymore where it is covered by the handguard or the tang of the receiver covered by the stock. Since HK fills the sides of the magwell with their own billboards, options on a MP5 are kind of limited. Stock channel is the best one I've seen that still satisfies ATF. Get someone who can hit the minimum depth with a laser and then touch it up with some cold blue and no one will ever notice it isn't a factory marking unless you point it out.

posted Hide Post
I see absolutely nothing in the ATF guidance that says that removal of a part is not ok. Can you point me to that? Lots of rules about depth, etc. and "must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed." but I see nothing that says it has to be visible. And I have certainly seen lots that would flunk that rule like in the magwell or actually this one with the stock retracted.

I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
It shall be marked in a conspicuously way.

Meaning
in a way that is obvious or easily seen, or that attracts notice, often intentionally:

I have both mine marked the same as you.

Posts: 1214 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
The other guys covered it. I don’t want attention from a bored ATF agent because my marking may not be “conspicuous” enough.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
One of the companies that specializes in HK builds caught minor heat from ATF for marking the trunnion and had to re engrave everything they had in house. They also changed the law in ‘22 so that it has to be on the receiver. Prior to that the underside of the barrel was a pretty good spot.

Inner lip of the mag well on an AR is still good to go as it is readily visible when inspecting the firearm (no one is inspecting a loaded firearm). If you have to remove parts beyond the magazine you are asking for attention, and if ATF is examining your engraving you already have more attention than you need.

I’m much less concerned with where the engraving goes now that I’ve got someone local who can laser engrave to ATF spec. It’s just one more professional looking marking on the gun. It’s more a habit now than anything else to put it somewhere that you’ll see when looking for it but not directly draw the eye.

It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Submitted Trust Form 4 through Silencer Shop via eForms on 03 SEP 2024; approved 16 SEP 2024. I received the ATF approval e-mail this morning, and within 5-10 minutes my FFL (The Hub Tucson) called to let me know I could come pick up my Gemtech Abyss.

So far I’m liking eForms. For comparison, my first two Form 4 submissions back in 2021 were paper trust submissions that each took a year or so to get approved. One was submitted (mailed) 23 MAR 2021 - approved 29 MAR 2022; the other was submitted (mailed) 30 MAY 2021 - approved 01 JUL 2022. Yes, I like eForms and the quicker approval times much better!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1732 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Got my UPIN. It took just under 1 month.