SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The CZ Scorpion EVO 3 and 3+ in 2024. Post yours!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The CZ Scorpion EVO 3 and 3+ in 2024. Post yours! Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
There are a number of threads on the Scorpion here, but as I read through them, I don't see a simple "post your gun and tell us about it" thread. There's a number of these threads going back to around 2018 from what I can find. They've been importing the EVO 3 S1 since 2015, so almost a decade now. A lot has changed in that time, both with the guns themselves and the aftermarket.

I have a Gen 1, produced in 2016, so a fairly old one. It has a sling loop on the left side of the receiver, and lacks the 1/2x28 threads they added to later models, so it's just M18 on the muzzle. There's supposedly something different about either the chamber or the feed ramps as well, but I haven't looked into that. I drilled the trigger pack and did the HBI trigger spring mod plus the trigger shoe. Major improvement. Mine came with whatever the safety levers currently are. Strike Industries duckbill mag release and flat charging handle, Pakse Sapper handguard, Reptilia Link and Zhukov stock, Magpul flip sights and Holosun 403 green dot. Sling is an old padded VTAC with Magpul Paraclips on paracord loops, was is cheap and not fancy, but it works fine. Magpul vertical grip because I can. Ordering a 125% recoil spring, which reportedly helps a lot with the jumpiness of the gun, which is my only real remaining complaint with it. The ACR stock and adapter market went totally nuts and then dried up, with combos selling for over $400 recently, so Nexus Firearms started making a new one at about half that. $180 is still a lot for a damn plastic stock, but it's not hen's teeth prices and people rave about how well it fits this gun, so I may eventually try one. Or, I'll throw a 1913 adapter on the back and try one of the myriad skeleton folders on the market for probably the same or a little more. We'll see.

Regardless, this is the current state of things.

Ecco Machine can in jail, pictured quasi-mocked up at my FFL. Went with a direct thread mount, but I'm debating just doing the HBI handguard tri lug K barrel. At this point, why not?

This thing is stupid fun at the range. I've handed it off to a few friends who shoot it and hand it back with a stupid grin on their face. I shot it both passive and active at a night vision shoot last month on some paper and steel targets from five yards to fifty and was just laughing the whole time, it was so easy to score hits. Easily the most fun gun I currently own.

Is it an MP5? No, it's a Scorpion. It's cheaper than an MP5 clone, even with the bare minimum stuff that needs changing (trigger springs, grip, and right side safety), but in the almost decade they've been importing them, they've become one of the "Pimp My Ride" guns with a huge aftermarket. You can spend as much or as little as you want and still have a really fun little PCC/SBR/subgun/thing. The EVO 3 was discontinued last year, replaced by the 3+. As best I can tell, the differences are basically the same controls and lower that come on the Bren 2, and a funky new spin on the faux suppressor. Unfortunately, mags aren't backward compatible, but I believe PMAGs for the EVO 3 can have a recess dremeled out that will allow them to fit the 3+. Still, there's a lot of life left in this line and I predict they'll be importing them for years to come.

Does buying an EVO 3 S1 or 3+ still make sense in 2024 when you can buy an MP5 clone or GHM9 for around $1,500? I dunno, but I'm enjoying mine. Hopefully very soon, NICS will decide to release my delays and I can bring home the Ecco can and see how it runs suppressed. I predict nothing but giggles and grins.

Braced pistol, SBR, or carbine, let's see yours! Are you shooting it stock, or did you rice it up? Tell us what you did with it, even if it's just a trigger polish.

Posts: 17704 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It's on my shortlist, probably at or really near the top.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3645 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
HBI ultra comp, safety delete on the left, AK style safety on the right, the triangle folder and a magpul grip. In my commie state so called assault weapon parts are a no-no so I’ve had a problem ordering more stuff.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tomgun,

Posts: 1701 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
Also PSA has had the 7.8" 3+ on sale for $699. Might be over by now, but was that price for at least a month, since March..

Just checked, both length 3+'s are on sale for $699. That's cheaper than I can get them...

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1215 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some people complain at how bad the recoil is on the Scorpion but I have not noticed, as the 9mm is not a harsh recoiling cartridge. I love how the Scorpion feels and shoots. I am wanting to get a Evo carbine next, as I traded my pistol I had and miss it. Keep those pics coming.

Posts: 7105 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Mine is a true OG Scorpion. Came in the first batch brought into the country. Loved it ever since.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3628 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know the difference between the gen 1 & 3?

Mines a first gen too, I SBR’d it and shortly afterwards added the carbine hand-guard for more real estate and to protect my suppressor

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5723 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Some people complain at how bad the recoil is on the Scorpion but I have not noticed, as the 9mm is not a harsh recoiling cartridge.

It's not, but being a blowback mechanism, that big bolt reciprocating tends to make the gun jump around a bit more than it seems like it ought to. Truly, it's not bad, but I do see how a lot of folks feel like it could be better. I need to get that 125% spring in mine and report back. If it's a noticeable improvement in terms of making it a little easier to keep on target for quick doubles, it'll be worth the $20.

Andyb, that's a legit original! Man, after getting used to mine, seeing them with the OEM stuff is almost jarring. Razz

kimberkid, the big differences are they deleted the molded-in sling loop on the left receiver plate, they used to weld a nut onto the trigger pack retaining screw and possibly stopped doing that, and the muzzle device on the Gen 1 is M18 only. In mid-late 2016, they started shipping with an additional 1/2x28 threaded end on the barrel that has its own thread protector. Seems a fair number of folks don't know those are there, and those thread protectors sometimes walk off and catch a round and either get deformed and bent into the muzzle device or booger the threads. The recommended preventative fix is to red Loctite it in place if you're not going to use it, or just simply remove it if you leave the standard muzzle device in place since it'll protect those threads anyways. Looks like you've got your suppressor mounting stuff figured out already anyway, so I'd say the differences are largely moot for you.

Looks good, fellas, keep 'em coming!

Posts: 17704 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I love my little CZ. It’s a poor mans MP5 for sure but it’s a blast to shoot.

Mine has a Magpul pistol grip and vertical fore-grip, HB industries mag release and AK safety levers (a full sized on the left side and a mini on the right) and a Manticore Arms collapsible stock and a Trijicon MRO.

It fits perfectly in this Maxpidetion pack I have too.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15277 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
Nice Scorpions everyone. A friend of mine has a 1st gen Scorpion with the odd thread pitch. We learned the hard way when I tried to attach my 1/2x28 suppressor on it.

Since he has the Scorpion, I went with the Stribog.

I've noticed some having red dots with low mounts & ones with what seems to be the higher mounts typically used on ARs. Are the low mounts typically used on PCC guns like the Scorpion & Stribog? With the higher mounts used because of preference?

I'm planning to get a red dot for the Stribog & I'm trying to figure out which mount to use for it.

What were the reasons you guys chose the mounts you're currently using for your Scorpions?

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1055 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I originally had a higher mount on my optic but it didn’t feel as natural to me when I aimed it.

The low mount feels much more natural when I’m shouldering the gun, but really excels when I am shooting it without the stock extended.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15277 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Looks good, Pale Horse! I dig the collapsing stock, that's a compact package. Do you keep that Magpul grip drifted back like that on purpose? I like mine, but I really don't like that I have to drift it backwards a bit with a rubber mallet to pull the trigger group. I've tried leaving it like you have, but having the gap bugs me. May try something else out that has that more vertical angle, or else see about trimming off that shelf that keeps the trigger group from rotating out.

BucFan, I had the original irons and a low mount Primary Arms red dot on mine and it worked fine until I took it to a night vision shoot. Shooting passive through a low mount like that can be done, but I've got a 1.93" riser on my AR that I've got set up for NV, so I'm already used to the extra clearance and found myself whacking my NODs into the top rail on the Scorpion. A lot. I pulled that stuff off and put what you see on there very shortly afterwards. Haven't shot it yet, at night or otherwise, but since I'm getting used to the "heads up" shooting posture, it already feels a lot more natural.

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
For me the T2 in the low mount cowitnesses with the irons which I like.

If I was going to use my NV with it I'd go for a higher mount but its just a fun range gun

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3628 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I like higher red dot, I don’t like co witness if I don’t have to. If I need irons I’ll unscrew the scalar mount and use irons. I tried low mount and it didn’t feel good to me.

Definitely personal preference.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3645 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I saw a 2016 ("16" on bolt) Evo 3 S1 carbine with full length barrel at a LGS over the weekend. It had factory digital camo furniture. Couldn't find any reference to this set up online. Any Scorpion experts with any insights? Thanks.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3645 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
I saw a 2016 ("16" on bolt) Evo 3 S1 carbine with full length barrel at a LGS over the weekend. It had factory digital camo furniture. Couldn't find any reference to this set up online. Any Scorpion experts with any insights? Thanks.

If it's that old Im sure it was done by someone. They've never done anything digi to my knowledge. Just FDE and a couple other solid colors

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Concur. Not a factory finish I've ever seen and for sure not in the first year or so of import. They were focused on getting as many over here as they could at that point, they didn't need to dress them up to boost sales.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
HB Industries is running a 20% off sale on their handguards and 15% on everything else. I went ahead and ordered a 6.85" free float handguard for $124 shipped, and the 125% recoil spring from Nexus. They're running a sale also, so it was $21, shipped. Not bad. I like the Pakse Sapper handguard, but I've had Mlok stuff pull free from it when tightened down snug. It also flexes more than I'd like, so this fixes that.

As a side note, they're in Tempe and I had an issue with the bolts for my Bren handguard coming loose last week. One of their guys emailed me right back and asked for pictures of them. I sent them and he said they wanted to send me some new ones for free because mine were an older style and prone to failing. I mentioned I was local and asked if I could just swing by. A half hour later, I was having a nice chat with the guy at their front counter about it before I left with a bag of new parts. He had a Glock 19 on the desk next to him. Nothing but good experiences with HBI. Big Grin

I'm also looking into doing Griffin's EZ-Lok mount system. If I'm understanding it correctly, I can swap my can over to whatever else has an EZ-Lok on it and get the repeatability and anti-walk lockup of a taper mount, just need to drop a booster into the can when I move it from the Scorpion to a pistol. Need to email Griffin to clarify a few things before I order anything, though. If this works out like I'm hoping it will, it should be a better solution than a tri lug on a dedicated PCC can and a separate can for my pistols and dealing with all the different booster, checking for walk-off every three to five rounds and all that.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post

This is my Scorpion 3+, purchased late last year. It is my sole PCC for Steel Challenge matches this year (two per month). Have changed the optic to a Holosun 507 Comp and added a Timney trigger pack to it.
Recorded my first 1.00-second run with it last month (5 shots on 3 targets).
Really liking this carbine.

Posts: 3865 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post