SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    NFA wait times
Page 1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NFA wait times Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
2 Aug - Bought forms from Silencer Shop.
7 Aug - Notified to certify eforms but had the wrong birthdate.
14 Aug - Certified revised eforms at the FFL.
20 Aug - Received approval for both stamps.

21 Aug - Will definitely be picking them up lol.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6616 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Hey, congrats! First cans, right?

Posts: 17607 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

I have a few from back in my time as a Class 3 dealer, and some personal ones before that.

But these are my first ones in probably 12-14 years.

ETA: They're all personally mine now...calm down ATF!

The guy at the gun store mentioned that he's noticed times are taking longer still for folks on their first one. I always assumed you had some already, so that's not the case with your wait at this time is it?

Posts: 6616 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:

The guy at the gun store mentioned that he's noticed times are taking longer still for folks on their first one. I always assumed you had some already, so that's not the case with your wait at this time is it?

Not true at all. How many NFA items you already have has nothing to do with how quick your approval is. Each submission is treated as a first timer. They don’t go back and check your name to see if you’ve been approved before. At best, if you have a number of items in progress at the same time, they’ll get approved in a batch. Honestly, most of the “schemes” to get quick approval (file individual instead of trust, get a UPIN, etc.) don’t work. There are some people who do these things and still have to wait months, and some people who don’t do these things, and get a two day approval. It takes what it takes. Best just sit back and forget about it, and then be happy when it finally gets approved.

Posts: 3407 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:

Not true at all. How many NFA items you already have has nothing to do with how quick your approval is. Each submission is treated as a first timer. They don’t go back and check your name to see if you’ve been approved before. At best, if you have a number of items in progress at the same time, they’ll get approved in a batch. Honestly, most of the “schemes” to get quick approval (file individual instead of trust, get a UPIN, etc.) don’t work. There are some people who do these things and still have to wait months, and some people who don’t do these things, and get a two day approval. It takes what it takes. Best just sit back and forget about it, and then be happy when it finally gets approved.

Alright.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna differ with you a bit, Dwill. Filing as an individual is absolutely faster than a trust currently. You're the only person I'm seeing say otherwise, anywhere. It's consistent, everywhere I'm checking that tracks the data on approvals, and with every dealer I've talked to in person or online. Even the ATF is outright saying they're fast-tracking individuals for Form 1 and Form 4 over trusts, and they're saying it's because they have to have their lawyers review the trusts in detail vs just clearing a background check. They reworked their system so that instead of submissions being filed in order and guys who get delayed jamming everything up, they're now prioritized by NICS proceeds, and once you get a proceed, your submission hits an examiner's desk. Individuals get processed faster, period.

Now, that also does not jibe with guys filing with the 24 month exemption still having to wait, but it still agrees with their claim that it's faster to file as an individual. Personally, I think it's because they don't like the idea that there's still legal ways around 41F/41P and they want to encourage individual because then they're getting access to NFA items more locked down, but it does check out.

I've also had several NFA dealers tell me that while it's not a guarantee, they've had a number of customers in the last year who had consistent delays get instant approvals on obtaining their UPIN. After having nine different NFA submissions delayed this last year, I had one dealer tell me outright that I was only guaranteeing further delays by not getting a UPIN. It's not a guarantee that I won't be delayed, but it's nearly guaranteed at this point that I will be if I don't get a UPIN.

Posts: 17607 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm gonna differ with you a bit, Dwill. Filing as an individual is absolutely faster than a trust currently. You're the only person I'm seeing say otherwise, anywhere. It's consistent, everywhere I'm checking that tracks the data on approvals, and with every dealer I've talked to in person or online. Even the ATF is outright saying they're fast-tracking individuals for Form 1 and Form 4 over trusts, and they're saying it's because they have to have their lawyers review the trusts in detail vs just clearing a background check. They reworked their system so that instead of submissions being filed in order and guys who get delayed jamming everything up, they're now prioritized by NICS proceeds, and once you get a proceed, your submission hits an examiner's desk. Individuals get processed faster, period.

Now, that also does not jibe with guys filing with the 24 month exemption still having to wait, but it still agrees with their claim that it's faster to file as an individual. Personally, I think it's because they don't like the idea that there's still legal ways around 41F/41P and they want to encourage individual because then they're getting access to NFA items more locked down, but it does check out.

I've also had several NFA dealers tell me that while it's not a guarantee, they've had a number of customers in the last year who had consistent delays get instant approvals on obtaining their UPIN. After having nine different NFA submissions delayed this last year, I had one dealer tell me outright that I was only guaranteeing further delays by not getting a UPIN. It's not a guarantee that I won't be delayed, but it's nearly guaranteed at this point that I will be if I don't get a UPIN.

Pardon my ignorance, but ?what is a UPIN and how do you get one.

I just got my first ever Form 4's approved Monday. Picked up the SBR today; Silencer Central will ship the can in maybe a week. I filed as a trust. I am told one reason I got "quick" response is that I am the ONLY ONE on the trust. That way they only have one background check to do, rather than several, plus the trust. Too new to this whole game to know the truth of all that - just putting it out there FWIW.

Posts: 107 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: August 30, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Devereaux:

Pardon my ignorance, but ?what is a UPIN and how do you get one.

I just got my first ever Form 4's approved Monday. Picked up the SBR today; Silencer Central will ship the can in maybe a week. I filed as a trust. I am told one reason I got "quick" response is that I am the ONLY ONE on the trust. That way they only have one background check to do, rather than several, plus the trust. Too new to this whole game to know the truth of all that - just putting it out there FWIW.

Here is an explanation:

https://www.nationalguntrusts....t8xG6bZLP9sm0bC2hyuy

It's a unique identifier for YOU that can help with processing, especially if you get lots of delays (or incorrect denials).

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17592 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I submitted the application for the VAF (UPIN) and got my prints submitted electronically at the post office. We'll see how this goes. I don't have another NFA purchase planned at the moment, but I'll be using the UPIN for the next one!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17592 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M4Super90:
2 eForm 1 submitted via trust 5/13/24 still pending. 1 eForm 4 via trust submitted 7/25 and certified 7/31, approval pending.

Both Form1s approved 8/29.

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3677 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OSS Rad 45 through Silencer Shop. Started in late April and couldn't get good fingerprints through their kiosk so went to the sheriff's office and got printed and mailed the card to Silencer Shop. All submitted on 7 May (with their "Single Shot Trust).

Approved 31 August, picked up yesterday.

Posts: 799 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
anyone with recent experience on time from email submission of Form 5320.20 to receipt of approval in the mail?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kho,

Posts: 576 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sent in my forms on 6/25. It was my first NFA item (two of them, each on a Form 4 filed electronically). I files as a trust with only me in the trust. I got my approval letter via e-mail on 8/19.

Posts: 107 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: August 30, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kho:
anyone with recent experience on time from email submission of Form 53320.20 to receipt of approval in the mail?

I submitted a number of 20’s back in May and June, all emailed. It took about 5 weeks for the approvals to arrive in the mail. One I submitted was just a picture using my phone, and all the approved version was that image printed in color with the stamps added.

Posts: 680 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ugh. No Bueno. I only allowed 4 weeks before a trip I am taking. My bad, I knew I should have filed sooner but just didn't get around to it. It's going to be close at best.

Posts: 576 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Applied June 19, approved September 9 on single-shot trust. Will pick up my first suppressor Thursday; a Rugged Razor 556.Thanks to all that posted advice and encouragement to others; it got me off my ass.

Posts: 5784 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Well, I've managed to get 4 Form 4s back in an average of 3 days apiece. Just filed a Form 1 on an SP5 SBR today. Fingers crossed it comes back with similar speed. Or at least as quick as the last one I did a couple years back when 2 weeks was astounding.

Posts: 2651 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
My final 3 Form 4s (for now) submitted today via trust, 9/10/2024.
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
One more Form 4 submitted (trust) today.

So in my pipeline:
6/26/24 One Form 4
6/26/24 One Form 1
7//15/24 One Form 4
8/6/24 One Form 4
8/12/24 One Form 1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AUTiger89,

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6128 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Yankee Hill Manufacturing Resonator K from Silencer Central as a Trust on eform 6/3/2024, was notified 9/8/2024 of approval so 100 days.

I filled out e4473 and should have it at the end of next week or the beginning of the following.

ARman

Posts: 3212 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just filed a Form 1 on an SP5 SBR today

where did you engrave it?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11159 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post