SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    The Emerson Thread...
Page 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 97
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Emerson Thread... Login/Join 
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Czechvar, i don't know where your post went but it was good to see you back. The thread doesn't feel right without you around.

Vemon, that knife and engraving are awesome. Made me smile.

I put the Midway post in the Lounge instead so more people would see it. That Super CQC-8 is the first knife I've bought in a long time.

I've been focused on two other areas lately, I shifted my handguns to all Sig SAS models with Grayguns Triggers...Sold everything else I had. Those and learning more about rifles. There is a lot to learn, and tons of info right here in the Forum. Ammo prices have come way down so I've been shopping a lot. I tend to focus like that, and I get absorbed.

I do read here pretty often. Vemon has been posting some great pics of his collection. You guys have kept this Thread interesting and fun...

Posts: 21838 | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post
quote:
ChuckFinley
,another tattoo on a banana I have posts earlier:

quote:
Czechvar
, without you really uncomfortable Wink do not get lost for a long time.

Posts: 545 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: December 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
You guys and this thread Big Grin

Just ordered a Super Karambit to go with my combat (edc). I've wanted the matching set for a long time.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Question for you Emerson nuts;

Anyone happy with using a CQC-7 or A-100 as a lefty? I know there are lefty CQC-7 models made, but that's a lotta cash, right now I'm looking on the used market. Plus I'm so used to using a RH liner lock I'm not sure I'd like a lefty.

I had a ZT that had a deep scallop for RH use, but the thumbstud was right up on the scale for lefty use. Filing out the G10 grip didn't give me enough clearance. It was a flipper assist, but I liked using the thumbstuds better on that one.

On either the CQC-7 or A-100 I'd scallop the grip scale, just wondering if the thumb disc will be easily reachable or if I'll regret it.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
Question for you Emerson nuts;

Anyone happy with using a CQC-7 or A-100 as a lefty? I know there are lefty CQC-7 models made, but that's a lotta cash, right now I'm looking on the used market. Plus I'm so used to using a RH liner lock I'm not sure I'd like a lefty.

I had a ZT that had a deep scallop for RH use, but the thumbstud was right up on the scale for lefty use. Filing out the G10 grip didn't give me enough clearance. It was a flipper assist, but I liked using the thumbstuds better on that one.

On either the CQC-7 or A-100 I'd scallop the grip scale, just wondering if the thumb disc will be easily reachable or if I'll regret it.

I really like my mini a-100

I believe you would be very happy with the full sized model. For $25 Emerson will convert it to a left carry

I'd give them a call and ask all the questions you'd like answered Super nice folks

Email is not their preferred form of communication

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
You can also install a larger thumbdisc for comfort and effectiveness, or watch for a used lefty on the market.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
The new Tiger looks awesome!

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Guys,

The Tiger is awesome, as are the Patriot and Zealot. Ernest has been knocking them out of the Park with the new designs.

But I still love the Commander best. I have a Jungle Commander for EDC, and a Mini as backup.

But 5 minutes ago I finally ordered the UBR Commander from the Emerson Website...This is Grail. They don't make many, and to me it is a beauty. It'll be the Plain Edge model and Stonewashed...I've had a Super Commander before, and this one dwarfs that... Smile

http://emersonknives.com/shop/...s/ubr-commander-sfs/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Czechvar,

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
The donation page

I'm a little slow catching up. Terrible tragedy for the Leib family and all of their friends. I just made a donation.

Picture of wreckdiverjosh
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting this knife for a long time.. Thanks to a Midway USA sale and a moment of weakness it arrived in the mail today!

Change of Plans...

Posts: 268 | Location: Virginia | Registered: March 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Which one is that?

I found a CQC-7 for sale at a price good enough to try out modding the grip scale.

Still have a SOCFK in my cart at Midway. As well as an A-100. So tempting.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiverjosh:
I've been wanting this knife for a long time.. Thanks to a Midway USA sale and a moment of weakness it arrived in the mail today!

Why did you go for the 14? I think it's great, but geared to strict knife laws. Are your laws pretty strict? BTW, I think you saved about $60 or $70...nice deal.

Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Czechvar:
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiverjosh:

Why did you go for the 14? I think it's great, but geared to strict knife laws. Are your laws pretty strict? BTW, I think you saved about $60 or $70...nice deal.

Absolutely correct. It is also a very well leveraged knife for every day use and abuse.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wreckdiverjosh
posted Hide Post
I went with the 14 for a few reasons. I use a folding knife every day at work and my employer has a “no weapons” policy. However they issue me a fixed blade knife at work with the same blade length as the 14. (don’t get me started on their BS “no weapons” policy…) So a folding version with a real handle that you could really do some work with was a “need” for me at work. This knife is perfect fit for me at work.

Change of Plans...

Posts: 268 | Location: Virginia | Registered: March 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Makes sense. I had that 14 in my basket on Midway the last few days and couldn't decide between it, the Horseman, or the Mini-CQC-15.

I was weak, and went to Emerson's website to research more. Didn't get any of them. The 14 is definitely interesting, I like that the blade is broad, short and clearly strong. I ended up picking a few others.

I couldn't ignore the prices on the Super Roadhouse and Super CQC-8...I love those, even if they are too big to carry. Talk about heft...

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Custom, those Titanium Bolsters are awesome. Did you win the drawing to allow you to buy it?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Czechvar:
Beautiful Custom, those Titanium Bolsters are awesome. Did you win the drawing to allow you to buy it?

I wish. Took lots of hunting down and lots of praying and especially lots and lots of luck. It's prototype is known as the Snake Bowie and were released at knife shows around the country in 2009. There are three prototypes. The prototypes have g-10 scales, blasted liners, and hand ground blades. Specifically, the snake Bowie has a v-curve on the main bevel and a chisel grind on the edge while the custom K.A.C.K. is zero ground chisel. Ernest turned the Snake Bowie into a full blown custom and released it at the Blade Show in Atlanta Georgia in 2010. As far as I know there is only one other full custom K.A.C.K. which I was able to compare it at the Emerson booth last year and noticed some subtle differences between mine. The K.A.C.K. sold at Blade last year did not have jimping on the inside of the handle. That was the only difference between the two. There may be one or two more but I haven't seen or heard of them so I am highly likely to believe there are only two full customs.

Ashton Kutcher uses one of the prototypes in the movie Killers back in 2010. He uses it to rip Katherine Heigl's' dress off in one scene. He also uses a cqc-14 later on in the movie. Any who. I used to own one of the prototypes but unfortunately had to part with it. It is assumed Ashton owns one and either Ernest Emerson kept one or some un-known collector has the third.

Posts: 243 | Registered: July 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Hi Christian,

That is such and awesome, creative blade, particularly how the wave disappears between the bolsters. Do you know the backstory on designing it that way, or did it happen on purpose?

With the wave's original purpose being to catch an opponent's blade I find it interesting that Ernie would design bolsters that shroud the wave.

posted Hide Post
I am not 100% sure if there was a specific reason or just a cool design idea. I believe the hidden wave feature was first introduced by Eenrst and featured on the super ravens. He made an A and B blade. Spearpoint and Tanto respectively.

Here's another prototype that never made it into production or custom, it was released around the same time as the Snake Bowie in 2009. "The Big Combat Bowie" notice the hidden wave feature on this one as well. It would be a super. Or UBR cqc-13 in size comparison to the cqc13.

Posts: 243 | Registered: July 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I never noticed that on the Ravens, my oversight!