SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    The Emerson Thread...
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 97
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Emerson Thread... Login/Join 
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Mr. Emerson in a fine interview at Blade 2011...

Posts: 21838 | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Emerson Combat Systems is an outgrowth of Ernest's love of Martial Arts and Edged Weapons. It is a hard core blood and guts honest approach to deadly close quarters combat. There are classes taught around the country, and if you get a chance to join one...it's the real thing. From Wiki (I know, I know...But this is actually pretty good):

The Emerson Combat Systems is a form of modern combatives designed by Ernest Emerson. The system is based on Emerson's accumulated 35 years of study of martial arts and combat and incorporates empty hand training as well as use of weapons from knives and sticks to rifles and pistols. This system is taught to military, law enforcement, and civilians.

Emerson Combat Systems was developed as one of numerous eclectic martial systems that arose in the 1980s. Rather than teach individual philosophies and parameters of different fighting styles that he studied such as jeet kune do, jiujitsu, boxing, and escrima; Emerson took elements that he thought were useful from those arts and presented them as part of a system.

An important component of Emerson Combat Systems is developing what Emerson calls "the combat mindset". Emerson's courses feature guest speakers from various walks of life such as active and former members of the US Military, former teachers of his such as Richard Bustillo, and authorities on legal aspects such as attorneys and judges. These speakers go into greater depth on the realities of the use of deadly force.[3]

The techniques taught are based on two factors: the human body's physiological response to stress and its reduction to the use of gross motor skills. According to Emerson, the techniques are based upon the physical and instinctual laws that govern the survival instincts and physical function of a human being.[4] For example, when unarmed and attacked with a knife or a stick, the student will drive forward into the attacker's zone, using the outer edges of the arms to protect the body and force the attacker off balance to where the student can gain an advantage.[3]

This system is characterized by training "realistically": protective equipment is worn, and students wear street clothing as opposed to uniforms. Weapon transition skills are taught in advanced classes, including drills where a primary weapon might fail and the student falls back to a secondary weapon. There is a strong emphasis placed on overall physical fitness.[5] Emerson maintains he does not teach a "martial art" encumbered by ritual or sporting aspects but a combatives system where the goal is more than simple self defense.[4][6]

Emerson's presumption is to treat all attackers as if they are armed. He breaks down attackers into three such as sociopaths, opportunistic predators, mentally disturbed, etc.

A course in the Emerson Combat Systems begins with various boxing drills. The student will hit a heavy bag while constantly moving for 5 minutes. The goal is to completely exhaust the body of oxygen. At the 5-minute mark, the student hits the heavy bag more aggressively without stopping; the body, depleted of oxygen, works off of adrenaline. From there, the student will perform a similar drill on an MMA dummy or a heavy bag lying on the ground, followed by picking up and slamming the dummy or heavy bag repeatedly for 5 minutes in various jiujitsu throws.[3]

The coursework contains sparring, both armed and unarmed, with various partners to give the student exposure to opponents of various skill and strength levels.[6]

New York Times bestselling author David Morrell underwent training in Emerson Combat Systems as research for several of his books about Special Operations and close quarters combat. The author claims Emerson is "the best manufacturer of tactical knives" as well as a "top level blade instructor for elite military and law-enforcement units".[7] In an interview, Morrell indicated that he injured his collarbone during the training.

Here's a Flyer for an upcoming class...This was actually right here in Minneapolis last October. Where was I?

http://www.emersonknives.com/E...s%202012%20Flyer.pdf

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
If you live in SoCal or are in that area...You should check out the Emerson Training Center in the same building where they make the knives in Harbor City. They run a variety of Martial Arts disciplines in the Training Center...Including hard core edged weapon classes...And Mr. Emerson is one of the instructors. Ernie's wife Mary Emerson runs the program. Given everything I've learned in the past few months of studying this stuff...I think this has to be one of the best programs in the world...seriously. Not just their own instructors, but they know a bunch of the top experts in the world, who drop in just to visit...so cool.

http://www.emersontrainingcenter.com/

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
The Emerson Combat Systems has produced a series of DVD's to cover Edged Weapon Training. Good stuff if you're interested in learning advanced self-defense techniques from a world renowned Master.

Unconventional Edged Weapons Combat DVD's I-V

This instructional series is the educational equivalent of a master's degree in Edged Weapons Combat. This is a course. It is a series of instructional evolutions enabling you to super charge your fighting skills. Taught in a progressive layering system using the Accelerated Learning Protocol, this course takes you (regardless of your previous experience or expertise) to a new level of dynamic and unprecedented skill in Edged Weapons Combat. This material has never been available to anyone outside of personal instruction by Ernest Emerson who is regarded as one of the world's leading instructors to military and government agencies worldwide.

I. Building a solid foundation is the fundamental core of developing the Ultimate Fighter. This volume contains the principles and drills needed to develop efficient movement, combat footwork, regaining your stance from the ground and development of the Universal Fighting Stance. Drills and techniques for accessing and deploying your knife are covered, as well as a Bonus Track - Warm up and Stretch.

II. This volume, Training teaches you how to develop your skills to their ultimate potential. Covered here are the drills and exercises needed to supercharge your natural, instinctive abilities. The topics covered include mastering body mechanics, speed training and developing Ultimate Power. It also includes detailed sections on developing the proper mindset, the universal rules of combat and the anatomy of a knife attack ending with the Golden Rule of Surviving Combat.

III. This is where you learn the tools of the trade. In this Evolution, Emerson introduces you to all aspect of using the knife as a weapon. Through a series of drills and exercises you will learn how to utilize the principles from foundations and training in actual applications of the knife. Taught here are the strikes, combinations and techniques including the dynamic art of knife boxing, needed to become a master in the use of a knife and how and when to use them to their maximum potential.

IV. What is the Integrated Warrior Protocol? It is the ability to flow seamlessly between one weapons system and the next. Most arts teach knife techniques, empty hand and grappling as singular stand alone arts. What happens when you integrate all systems at once? This is the integrated warrior protocol. Learn to integrate your knife techniques into your fighting, your boxing, your takedowns and your throws. Learn a system never taught before to the general public and completely revolutionize your fighting ability forever.

V. Advanced tactics is where you put everything together. This volume is the culmination of everything taught in Volumes I-IV. Here you will see everything from unarmed techniques against the knife attack, knife against knife, the devastating effectiveness of the "Tiger Gut" and "Buzz Saw" and introducing you to the revolutionary and efficient art of knife trapping

http://www.emersonknives.com/UnconDVD.html

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
I've found that if you check in on Emersons Twitter feed you can get some hot tips...For instance:

Emerson Knives‏@Emerson_knives 21 Mar
Recently Discovered Treasure!
Vintage 2005 CQC-7 A's, No Wave. Very few available. Call to order.

I wasn't paying attention and missed it, and I like the 7A flattop... Smile

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
My SOCFK (Special Operations Combat Folding Knife) came today...It's the black one next to my CQC-7 Stonewashed. They just made these.... I know they're fresh, because it still has the grind smell...and I like that smell. You know, kind of like the aroma from arc welding.

Size comparison today is a tricked out '64 Buick Riviera. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Czechvar,

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
And of course I got the T-Shirts... Smile

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
The Family as it stands today, with the Order of The Black Shamrock Knife due in later this week. I've carried all of them except the Super Commander, and love 'em all... Smile One day I'd like to pick up a Super Roadhouse, but this will be it for a while.

Left to Right: Super Commander, Mini-Commander, CQC-8, Roadhouse, CQC-15, Mini CQC-7.

Top: SOCFK-B
Bottom: CQC-7

posted Hide Post
Hi Czechvar,

Congrats! That's quite a handsome collection of Emerson's you have there!!

Can you share the name of shop(s) that you bought them from, and did you choose them for price, service, both?

What was your reasoning behind the blade selection on the models you purchased?

You said that you love them all (naturally of course), but do any just feel / fit better in your hands than some of the others?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Rob

Posts: 3493 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
Hi Czechvar,

Congrats! That's quite a handsome collection of Emerson's you have there!!

Can you share the name of shop(s) that you bought them from, and did you choose them for price, service, both?

What was your reasoning behind the blade selection on the models you purchased?

You said that you love them all (naturally of course), but do any just feel / fit better in your hands than some of the others?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Rob

I bought all of them from Blade HQ, GP Knives, and Knifeworks. GP is a Prestige Emerson Dealer so they get the unusual offerings like that SOCFK. The other two I've bought other things from before. The Order of the Black Shamrock Knife that's in transit you can only buy direct from Emersons...plus they also sell all the other knives. Prices depend on the knife, best to look around. Someone earlier mentioned Howe's Knives and I checked them out, they do have some hot deals periodically.

The ergonomics on every one of these knives is off the charts...They all fit me like a glove. I can't name a favorite, but if I could it would be the Super Commander. Smile

I'm a rookie...Lots of people here know a lot more about knives and blades than I do...we have some real experts and fine makers on Sigforum.

I read and studied and listened to what Ernest Emerson said about each of his knives. I love the history behind each knife as much as I do the knife itself. The man has an incredible story himself. I just hope he does a biography one day...seriously.

posted Hide Post
Thanks (and thanks too for posting all of the other interesting Emerson related material - the pics, interviews, knife history, etc.)!

Rob

Posts: 3493 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
This is a fun story, and a great one as well...Ernest is a man who will occasionally offer a shot of Whiskey or something to his friends. This is the story of one of his favorite brands and the legend that created it...As you can see from my T-Shirt above, it's turned into a cool clothing line as well. When you get to page 11, compare the Gypsy Quistalerene Dagger to the Emerson Gypsy Jack... Smile

The True Legend of Stumblin Jack™

The Story you are about to read is true to the accounting of Mr. Jack Belvedere, through the translation and transcription of his written journals, firsthand accounts, family history and various other historical sources.

Stumblin Jack™ is best known as one of the old west’s finest whiskey distillers. His famous, and notorious, Gunslingers Whiskey, has woven itself into the fabric that is the story of the American Wild West. A story of cowboys, lawmen, gunslingers, and bounty hunters, as well as the outlaws, horse thieves, desperados, and bandits. To quote Jack himself, about Gunslingers Whiskey, “My whiskey is either responsible for takin more lives or making more lives than any other whiskey in history.”

I am very privileged and honored to have been given the permission to bring the story of Stumblin Jack™ Belvedere out from the shadows and back roads of history, so that you too may know his incredible story.

I have been given sole permission by the Belvedere family to access all of the possessions, memorabilia, and personal papers of their beloved Great Grandfather, Stumblin Jack™. In short, I have been appointed the official biographer of Jack Belvedere. This has been a fascinating journey for me as I have strolled back through time to view the world through the eyes of a man who touched so many lives.

I must tell you that the family has requested that no one attempts to contact them. They wish to remain just as they are and have been for quite some time, anonymous and just a normal family. Fame or notoriety is nothing they seek and as they have brought me into their circle of trust, I will respect their wishes. I ask that you please respect those wishes also.

One last note of interest; this has been a very labor intensive endeavor for me and I have spent countless hours over the last two years preparing and translating this man’s story for you. You may ask why I say translating. It seems that Jack Belvedere had a rare form of dyslexia similar to Leonardo da Vinci who wrote everything backwards. Only in Jack’s case he wrote everything upside down and backwards.

This and coupled with a man who taught himself to write has created some difficulty for me. That is why I am publishing his story in segments as I get them translated and correlated. I will publish the segments as I get them transcribed so that we can all read them.
Like I said, uncovering this man’s story, has been a journey and it is far from over.
I hope you enjoy it as I have enjoyed it.

Click the link, then click on the book to start reading:

http://www.emersonknives.com/ekStumblinJack.php

Flip the book pages by grabbing the bottom corner of the page with your cursor.

Ernest R. Emerson

The Ranch - 2009

It is in the spirit of the Legend of Stumblin Jack that we have launched our Stumblin Jack™ line of apparel.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Emerson Knives will be at the NRA Convention in Houston May 3-5...Booth #3135.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Emerson Knives will be at GovSec May 13-15 in Washington D.C. ...Booth #2129. This is held at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center.

http://govsecinfo.com/Home.aspx

quote:
GovSec is the nation’s premier event for Government, Homeland Security, and Law Enforcement professionals looking for proven strategies and cost effective technology so they can achieve their mission of protecting our communities, critical infrastructures, and key assets.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
The FB page has the UBR Commander picture displayed. I guess that means it's about ready for release of the limited run. It's the 'beast' with the 4.4" blade...massive. If you want one you should call them...soon.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
There is something in the pipeline over at Emersons Knives, and it's named "Project Patriot"...Ernest was able to get part of a tree from George Washington's Estate, and will be using it to create a new knife. That's all I know about it, except that it will be coming soon...And he gave us a little teaser trailer... Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJH2iMTIvsw

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Ernest Emerson's first Balisong knife. As you may recall from earlier posts, he made this when he couldn't afford one for a martial arts class he was taking in SoCal. From Wiki:

Although Emerson credits his grandfather's gift of a Barlow knife to him at the age of eight years with starting his interest in knives, it was not until later in life that he turned to making them.[12] The summer of 1978 found Emerson in need of a balisong knife for his study of a Filipino martial art and, unable to afford one on his salary,[2] Emerson decided he would attempt to make his own instead.[16] He milled and drilled the handles from aluminum stock; the knife's blade was a simple steel blank that he hand cut with a hacksaw, shaped with files, and heat treated at his dining room table with a butane torch.[16]

When he started classes with this "homemade" knife, his instructors and fellow students were impressed with his handiwork and asked him to make knives for them.[4] Emerson did so and sold these early butterfly knives for just the cost of materials, but he soon raised the price to $50 each, as demand for his knives increased.[16] Emerson went on to make fixed-blade knives on a part-time basis, but upon seeing a Michael Walker handmade folding knife at a gun show, he was so impressed by the quality and design that he decided he was going to make folding pocketknives from that point on.[2] Emerson contacted Walker and obtained his permission to use the Walker Linerlock mechanism on his own knives.[2] According to a 1990 article by Paul Basch, Emerson said of Walker, "Here was a guy who put everything I was looking for into a knife. It was then I decided to start making knives seriously and locking liners in particular".

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
I bought some skulls from Emersons, and some Paracord from Amazon to make my first knife lanyards ever. OK for the first time... Smile

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
From the Emerson FB page. Should be a good time, I'm looking forward to watching it..

quote:
Customs from The Emerson Knives Online Virtual Knife Show 2012. Emerson Knives Virtual Knife Show 2013 coming soon!

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
The Order of The Black Shamrock Knife is here. Pretty amazing knife in my eyes...It seems to have the best parts of the Commander, CQC-15, and CQC-8 in it's DNA...As per Mr. Emersons wishes (And mine as well), this will be in my family forever. Just an elegant and well crafted work of art...But you must join up to be able to have one.

Overall Length - 8.900"
Blade Length - 3.800"
Handle Length - 5.100"

Emersons picture is much better than mine...