SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Female basketball player breaks the law in Russia, but have no fear- Sheila Jackson Lee is DEMANDING her release
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Female basketball player breaks the law in Russia, but have no fear- Sheila Jackson Lee is DEMANDING her release Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This woman makes $220k a year, plus endorsements, and complains about all the injustices in the USA. It will be such just karma if she spends the next 10 years in jail.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Trial began today,

https://www.necn.com/news/nati...-area-court/2770511/

Apparently in Russia acquittal can be overturned. Still hate America fella?

Posts: 2770 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I hope she gets the maximum penalty possible for breaking the law in Russia. She, and her supporters are asinine to think that United States laws apply to our citizens while they are in foreign countries.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Hahahaha. Cry me a river Britney!

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
But, she's "wrongfully detained," dontcha know?! Roll Eyes

Almost every article one reads about this spouts this nonsense.

Posts: 2933 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Russian court system has an acquittal rate of less than 1%, according to the State Department

It's kinda hilarious that this is going on in a country where the people brush their teeth with vodka and the rate of alcoholism is through the roof.

Posts: 107495 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
And, just to pile on... Razz

"Fewer than 1% of defendants in Russian criminal cases are acquitted, and unlike in the U.S., acquittals can be overturned."

https://www.necn.com/news/nati...-area-court/2770511/

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
“It was good to see her in some of those images, but it’s tough. Every time’s a reminder that their teammate, their friend, is wrongfully imprisoned in another country,” Phoenix Mercury coach Vanessa Nygaard said Monday.
Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Griner told reporters that she wishes she could work out more and that she was struggling because she doesn’t understand Russian.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Maybe she should get Babble. TV ads say it great for ordering food in Spanish.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I would embrace a trade, Sheila Jackson Lee for Griner, and a first round pick in the 2024 draft.

Posts: 23386 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
"Wrongfully imprisoned?" Confused

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I would be down for sending people over there to split that sentence with her. I assume there isn't going to be an acquittal.

If she gets 20 years, send 9 other America hating bastards there so the 10 of them can do 2 years each.

Might teach them some appreciation for our great country.

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
and unlike in the U.S., acquittals can be overturned."

So, you're saying the authorities get 'em on the rebound?

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
BOO HOO BOO HOO.... if she could not do the time then she should not have done the crime. ..... Just because she is a pro WNBA player and a American citizen why should she be given any special treatment and reduced punishment.... If you were sitting on a jury and any citizen of another country were under charges of breaking our drug laws or any other laws should they be held to a different standard because they might be some kind of celeb in their home country................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1999 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
It is sweet to observe the karma of arrogance

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Lav Beria’s quote needs to be updated. Roll Eyes

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Griner asks Uncle Joe to Free Her

American basketball star Brittney Griner asked US President Joe Biden to free her from a Russian prison in a handwritten letter Monday, portions of which were made public by her family.

Two-time Olympic champion Griner, detained in Russia since February on drug smuggling charges, told Biden she fears she might never be freed.

"As I sit here in a Russian prison, alone with my thoughts and without the protection of my wife, family, friends, Olympic jersey, or any accomplishments, I'm terrified I might be here forever," Griner wrote.

Griner's trial began Friday on charges she tried to smuggle vape cartridges with hashish oil into Russia. She faces up to 10 years in prison. The next hearing in her case is set for Thursday.

US officials have said Griner is being wrongfully detained by Russia, where she has played in the Women's NBA off-season in previous years.

Griner, arrested only days before Russian troops invaded Ukraine, won a 2014 WNBA crown with the Phoenix Mercury. She's a two-time league scoring champion and eight-time All-Star center.

The 31-year-old told Biden in her letter she understands there are many matters he is handling but implored him not to forget her and other Americans being held in Russia.

"I realize you are dealing with so much, but please don't forget about me and the other American Detainees," Griner wrote. "Please do all you can to bring us home.

"I voted for the first time in 2020 and I voted for you. I believe in you. I still have so much good to do with my freedom that you can help restore. I miss my wife! I miss my family! I miss my teammates! It kills me to know they are suffering so much right now. I am grateful for whatever you can do at this moment to get me home."

Griner's letter was presented to the White House on the US Independence Day holiday, which Griner says has an all-new meaning for her this year.

"On the 4th of July, our family normally honors the service of those who fought for our freedom, including my father who is a Vietnam War Veteran," Griner said.

"It hurts thinking about how I usually celebrate this day because freedom means something completely different to me this year."

Ya think?

Posts: 2933 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Fuck her very much.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15557 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post