SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FISA memo updated page 19 ******* Demo response memo
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FISA memo updated page 19 ******* Demo response memo Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Nunes interview w Brett Baier

http://insider.foxnews.com/201...fisa-memo-bret-baier

insightful

Posts: 19661 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Well shit there goes the key to unlocking methods and practices of intelligence community. Wait til our enemies hear about this yahoo.com thing! They are all going to be getting their intelligence from yahoo from now. Our intelligence sources are now compromised. Roll Eyes

Yeah, who knew?

All of these billions of dollars for developing methods and practices for our intelligence community and all they really needed was an iPad and internet connection to Yahoo! news.

Why was this memo ever considered "Top Secret"?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:
As Attorney General Sessions is recused, and may not have any contact with issues arising out of the 2016 Presidential Campaign, his deputy, Rosenstein becomes Acting Attorney General on those issues. Sessions continues on all other issues.

Is Sessions not allowed to pursue malfeasance by high-ranking officials who report to him? Is his charge to simply sit back, hands folded, and watch the show?

Sessions has nothing to do with activities touching on the 2016 Campaign. On those, Rosenstein is Acting Attorney General.

If the malfeasance has to do with bank robbery, or counterfeiting, or MS-13, Sessions is the boss. If it has to do with the 2016 Campaign, he is just like Bigboreshooter, along for the ride, only he probably gets a better parking spot.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Nunes interview w Brett Baier

http://insider.foxnews.com/201...fisa-memo-bret-baier

insightful

Nunes lays it out and it's amazing- Rep. Nunes: 'Clear Evidence' of Russia Collusion... by the Clinton Campaign and DNC.

The uranium 1 deal proves clinton ties to russia.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13423 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
DEMs are claiming the memo is false.

Mark Warner said he did read the underlying docs and they don't agree w the memo.

Other DEMs say McCabe did not testify that without the dossier they would not have gone forward w a warrant request.

Rep King (R) just made a great comeback. The FBI poured over this doc word by word and said there were no factual errors.

This is vital. Let's bring out the details. More and more. I don't think there is anything more important than to shine light on the truth.

Remember Snowden? He still sits in Russia after downloading tons of material from NSA. He put things on the open web that said how we do this.

FBI and DoJ fought hard that this would reveal methods and sources. Read the memo. BS

Posts: 19661 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Schifferbrains was for transparency before he was against it...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/o...isa-court-1517608555

Obama and the FISA Court

This column is trying to imagine how an editor at The Wall Street Journal would treat a draft article alleging a political campaign adviser was secretly working for a foreign government if the story featured uncorroborated opposition research paid for by a rival campaign. If the writer of the draft article assured the editor that readers would not be told where the information originated, it’s a safe bet this would not increase the chances of publication.

This column is also trying to imagine the conversation that would ensue if a reporter or writer then tried to persuade the editor by appealing to the authority of Yahoo News.

Of course the Journal isn’t the only media outlet that enforces standards. Many organizations strive to ensure basic accuracy and fairness. Can it possibly be true that the evidentiary standards for obtaining a federal warrant allowing the government to spy on the party out of power are significantly lower than in a professional newsroom?

Today the American people are finally able to see the memo from the majority staff of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence alleging abuse of government surveillance powers during the last presidential campaign. Many will be appalled that, at least according to the memo, on October 21, 2016 the Department of Justice and the FBI obtained a court order authorizing electronic surveillance on a Trump campaign volunteer without telling the court that Hillary Clinton and the Democratic National Committee had paid for at least some of the research presented.

The memo further states that according to the head of the FBI’s counterintelligence division, corroboration of the research was in its “infancy” at the time the government requested and received approval for this surveillance. Is it that easy to spy on the party out of power?

Today a number of libertarians and liberals are pointing to a blog post by USC law professor Orin Kerr, who says that failure to disclose the interests of the source is often a non-issue:

Part of the problem is that judges figure that of course informants are often biased. Informants usually have ulterior motives, and judges don’t need to be told that. A helpful case is United States v. Strifler, 851 F.2d 1197, 1201 (9th Cir. 1988), in which the government obtained a warrant to search a house for a meth lab inside. Probable cause was based largely on a confidential informant who told the police that he had not only seen a meth lab in the house but had even helped others to try to manufacture meth there. The magistrate judge issued the warrant based on the informant’s detailed tip. The search was successful and charges followed.
The defendants challenged the warrant on the ground that the affidavit had failed to mention the remarkable ulterior motives of the informant. The affidavit didn’t mention that the “informant” was actually a married couple that had been in a quarrel with the defendants; that the couple was facing criminal charges themselves and had been “guaranteed by the prosecutor that they would not be prosecuted if they provided information”; and that they had been paid by the government for giving the information. The affidavit didn’t mention any of that. A big deal, right?
According to the court, no. “It would have to be a very naive magistrate who would suppose that a confidential informant would drop in off the street with such detailed evidence and not have an ulterior motive,” Judge Noonan wrote. “The magistrate would naturally have assumed that the informant was not a disinterested citizen.” The fact that the magistrate wasn’t told that the “informant” was guaranteed to go free and paid for the information didn’t matter, as “the magistrate was given reason to think the informant knew a good deal about what was going on” inside the house.
If this is accurate, and if it’s also acceptable to include uncorroborated information in warrant applications, this means that the bar for approving government spying against domestic political opponents is significantly lower than most Americans have been led to believe.

A former government official, having read the Kerr argument, writes via email:

In meth cases, the judges all know the informants are dirtbags. But as Kerr admits, context is everything in these fact determinations. It’s hardly irrelevant that one presidential campaign is being spied on with the collusion of the existing administration and its candidate. Perhaps prosecutors should be mindful of their high ethical obligations in such a unique case. After all, there is the small matter of the credibility not only of law enforcement but the entire democratic process riding on it.
The Democrats on the Intelligence committee seem eager to release their own memo so perhaps we’ll learn more, but based on today’s release it appears either that the Obama administration engaged in historic abuse or that the FISA court cannot be trusted to protect our liberties, or perhaps both.

Readers concerned about the government’s surveillance authority may be interested to know about one current member of the Intelligence committee who began focusing on this issue all the way back in the George W. Bush administration.

In March of 2007, he announced that he was “deeply troubled” by what he called “abuses of authority” by the FBI in acquiring personal information on U.S. citizens. Over the years, he urged various restrictions on the ability of the executive branch to get information on Americans’ phone calls. In order “to protect privacy and increase transparency” he sought in various ways to reform the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court—the very court that approved the electronic surveillance of a Trump associate for reasons that are still not entirely clear.

Way ahead of the news, this particular lawmaker specifically introduced the “Ending Secret Law Act” which according to a press release from his office, “would require the Attorney General to declassify significant Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) opinions, allowing Americans to know how the Court has interpreted” its legal authorities.

This lawmaker said that his legislation “will help ensure we have true checks and balances when it comes to the judges who are given the responsibility of overseeing our most sensitive intelligence gathering and national security programs.”

His name is Adam Schiff, and he is now the ranking member on House Intelligence. But oddly he doesn’t seem to want to take credit for his early concern for civil liberties.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2268 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
< snip >
Ohr will retain his OCDETF title but has been stripped of his higher post and ousted from his office on the fourth floor of “Main Justice.”

A note, Ohr was subsequently fired as the head of OCDEFT.

He's assigned to some uninteresting task now.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31556 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The real story will be how this was used, the unmasking of Americans by Susan Rice, the sharing of that information with civilian contractors.

The volume, extent and duration of the unmasking.......

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13423 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EZ_B:

Get 'em.

Posts: 11376 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sessions has nothing to do with activities touching on the 2016 Campaign. On those, Rosenstein is Acting Attorney General.

Yep, thereby reinforcing my earlier post that appointing Sessions is Trump's biggest mistake to date.

Sessions never should have recused himself in the first place. He wasn't man enough to stand up the the Dems then, he won't stand up to them now. He is the wrong man for the job.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
For the statutory requirements, refer to 50 U.S. Code § 1804 - Applications for court orders.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Someone said earlier that Sessions was Trump's biggest mistake, and I agree 100%. This spineless guy needs to go.

Sessions response to the memo: "No department is perfect."

https://www.washingtontimes.co...-department-perfect/

Page 3. Wink

Q

Posts: 26780 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EZ_B:

I agree with you, sir, doctor. Unfortunately, good luck with getting spineless Sessions to do anything useful. Mad

Q

Posts: 26780 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yep, thereby reinforcing my earlier post that appointing Sessions is Trump's biggest mistake to date.

Sessions never should have recused himself in the first place. He wasn't man enough to stand up the the Dems then, he won't stand up to them now. He is the wrong man for the job.

I don’t think you are in a position to evaluate the need for recusal. Sessions did not do so lightly.

quote:
Attorney General Jeff Sessions today issued the following statement:

“During the course of the confirmation proceedings on my nomination to be Attorney General, I advised the Senate Judiciary Committee that ‘[i]f a specific matter arose where I believed my impartiality might reasonably be questioned, I would consult with Department ethics officials regarding the most appropriate way to proceed.’

“During the course of the last several weeks, I have met with the relevant senior career Department officials to discuss whether I should recuse myself from any matters arising from the campaigns for President of the United States.

“Having concluded those meetings today, I have decided to recuse myself from any existing or future investigations of any matters related in any way to the campaigns for President of the United States.

“I have taken no actions regarding any such matters, to the extent they exist.

“This announcement should not be interpreted as confirmation of the existence of any investigation or suggestive of the scope of any such investigation.

“Consistent with the succession order for the Department of Justice, Acting Deputy Attorney General and U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia Dana Boente shall act as and perform the functions of the Attorney General with respect to any matters from which I have recused myself to the extent they exist.”

Rosenstein was later confirmed as Deputy Attorney General and became Acting Attorney General when Sessions was precluded from acting.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
If Dr. Gosar ever feels that Arizona just isn't for him anymore, he's welcome up here.

Posts: 20212 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

President Trump needs launch a very hostile takeover at DOJ, to include all of the subordinate organizations.

He should start by removing from government positions of authority a very long list of people at DOJ and FBI, starting with Sessions and Rosenstein, followed sending Stzrok to be a FBI liaison in Peshawar, Page in Ridyah, and Ohr in Medellin. All of them would loose their clearances and access to any fed.gov databases.

If Mueller quits in protest, it's a bonus.

If Congress then refuses to act on any nominee, I'd call who ever is left as the senior most official, and they get a permanent "acting" assignment as Director, FBI and AG, DAG, and AAG.

If there isn't someone to take the job, I'd defund the organization.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31556 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Tucker is teeing it up on Fox. Worth a watch.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Someone said earlier that Sessions was Trump's biggest mistake, and I agree 100%. This spineless guy needs to go.

Don't jump just yet. My bet is Sessions is waiting for the IG's report on this whole mess. That will contain the truth, the whole truth, and no bullshit. If the IG says they get hung, they get hung.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20344 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Are we contemplating "hung on a hook" or "hanged by the neck"?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post