SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you stopped watching "the news" altogether
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you stopped watching "the news" altogether Login/Join 
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
November 4, 2020. I know how to put on the local news at the exact time for the full weather forecast and that's it.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3475 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: Well, no more. No more, ever. I get my news through the filter of SIGforum and I am all the happier for it.

I made this exact change when I left Washington. I have relied on the SF for all my news for a few years. It works out well for me. I only hear about the most important events, and spare myself all the drama, propaganda, and crap. I notice I am much less stressed since I made this change.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SF is more-or-less my News source now.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I stopped watching network news in the mid 1990’s, when in my early 20’s, I perceived what I considered then as a democratic bias. I was more into the bar scene at that time anyway so it wasn’t much of a loss. I discovered Fox in 2000 and watched them pretty avidly. I gave up on Fox in 2012 when their “experts” totally flubbed their election predictions. My own half-assed, ignorant prediction was more accurate. I decided at that time I no longer needed to allot any of my downtime watching those jokers.

After late 2012 and until 2016 I got my news solely from this forum and conservative radio. A few years ago I ditched conservative radio because of the incessant commercials. Don’t miss that shit. The older I get, the more intolerant I get with things like commercials and I know radio is heavily dependent on them, so I regard it as a bad match for me.

I still use the forum as a news source but in late 2016 and onward, I began visiting Townhall, Gateway Pundit, American thinker and Zero Hedge. Still visit them daily but I have a few writers on Townhall I don’t especially like. American Thinker has some captian obvious or preaching to the choir quality articles, but I still find a few articles every couple of days that I think are worth reading. On Gateway Pundit, sometimes I have issues with their reliability and think sometimes they just want to rile me up. On Zero Hedge, I am not an investor, nor do I have a portfolio, so I am not their target audience. Nothing is perfect but I would rather get my news from the sources I mentioned than the ones I have stopped giving my time to.

Posts: 3163 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to parrot what others are saying. SF has been my go to for any important happenings that need to be known. I stopped watching any form of news several years ago, once it became so politicized that it went from news to propaganda (and that's from both sides). I cut the cable 4 or 5 years ago as well. Must say, I have never been happier.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1115 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Interesting enough the Brave news feed came up with two articles on the Hurricane, one from Fox and one from CNN. Note the difference in how the same story is presented to their readers. Fox calmly states that the storm is weakening, no hype to put fear into peoples minds. CNN -millions face life threatening events.

Pretty good example of how the outlets portray the same story and how CNN sensationalizes and over states the situation...

Posts: 23611 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Yes.

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1698 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quit watching after the last election. I will watch local weather if a hurricane is threatening our area. Other than that I get my news from the Sig Forum.

Posts: 875 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I've been corporate 'news' free for over a year...very liberating.

Posts: 1982 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have stopped watching the news all together....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 252 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I watch and read Daily Wire. Only.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I have stopped as well, if I have to hear the catch phrase Vacs-facts one more time!

Archerman

Posts: 2488 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
Yes. I do look at a few select websites once a day or so. No televised news.

Posts: 357 | Location: Guatemala | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
As with many, I've stopped watching the news on TV through any source. For awhile, I occasionally would watch some international news channel (the PBS equivalent in places like Korea, Japan, Taiwan to keep tabs on travel destinations). But I've found that they can be as bad or worse than US media.

I'll use the local Fox channel website on occasion. And American Thinker and OANN websites. Mostly rely on SF for national news and op-ed of such. Even if I find unbiased news, many times it's just facts and SF helps me understand insights and implications as well as background.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12763 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I started actively avoiding all mainstream news, Fox included, after the last election.

I will read interesting current events here, and occasionally I seek out new material from people such as Steven Crowder and Paul Joseph Watson.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting to make a list of people to follow and watch. Ben Shapiro, Jordan Peterson, Dinesh d'Souza, others?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12763 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of doublecorona
posted Hide Post
I stopped watching the local news years ago and stopped watching the MSM since the election. I go to certain websites for news and information.

Deplorable NRA Life Member

Posts: 1051 | Location: Where my mind is not | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I quit on election night as well. Not a single show, channel, or article in the future. I have not missed it either.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 987 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
I really don't watch the news anymore either. I do read certain news sites though, but in limited quantities.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I watch the local Fox channel in the morning as they show 90% local news but other than that...I have not watched MSM in months.

I did the Sunday politic shows for a bit but finally swore off of them when Chrissy Wallace debated Trump during the Trump vs houseplant national debate.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post