SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you stopped watching "the news" altogether
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you stopped watching "the news" altogether Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
"What's the old saying, if you don't listen to the media, you are uninformed. If you listen to it, you are misinformed. I'd rather be uninformed than misinformed. At least then I know I'm not being lied to by the "experts"."

I'm now okay with being uninformed - if it gets bad enough we will all know whether we are 24/7 watching news or not.

I've been on vacations where I've been "off the grid" and even cell service was unavailable. I must say it is very relaxing to be completely cut off from the rest of the world for a while.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24171 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not completely but after the election I couldn't stand to watch anything political for months.
I quit watching local news a long time ago because I was tired of seeing the "if it bleeds it leads" starting every broadcast.
The wife loves the news and she goes in another room to watch.
Now I will occasionally hit Fox News briefly but not anything like I was.
Back when Trump gave us hope I watch more and couldn't get enough but why watch now with so much madness and despair?

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Most of my news comes through either YouTube or my news feeds on my phone.

Posts: 4206 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Here in San Diego, we have a local station, KUSI, that we started VDR'ing about 6 months ago.
They were reporting very critically on the restaurant shut-down; have 90%+ conservative political figures being interviewed, both local and national ones; are clearly on the side of law enforcement.
We can't believe this is a popular station in urban California. So no, we haven't stopped.

We have stopped listening to Brett Baier's Special Report; but still listen to Tucker-- Gutfeld! of course, and a few other FNC shows.

I have decreased my online news scanning by probably 75%. The right-wing news aggregator sites all carry the same stuff, and hardly any original reporting.

The one real news source we like is The Epoch Times.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I stopped a few months before the election. I just woke up one day and thought, "Holy shit I am way too invested in all of this stuff." and quit.

I even gave up on SigForum for a few weeks, only opening the Lair after I felt like I had detoxed a bit.

My mood shift at home was incredible. I had been consuming "news" from every source except Facebook, and I didn't realize the slow plunge into general dickishness I had been travelling.

My interactions with my wife and kids have been so much better for the last year. It's been great, and I can't believe how much time I was wasting with the useless information and emotions that it was eliciting.

What a horrible place we've taken ourselves as humans. I'm hoping 2021 is the year I get my wife off of Facebook as well. She's somewhat hooked on the endless scroll/voyeurism it presents.

I'm glad to see other people gave up on the bullshit too.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I like the way Denzel Washington said it, "If I dont watch the news, I am uninformed. If I watch the news, I am misinformed."

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Yes, pretty much avoid the TV news now.

Read Breitbart, Townhall, PJ Media and Bearing Arms for news headlines.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Yes 100%

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7634 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Our local news has been pretty local focused and fair (WPTV). Will watch that on occasion. Beyond that - yup no news shows at all.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
I haven't "seen, speak, or hear" for over a year. Timing with C-19 and then the alleged elections result ...

Sigforum for news, articles, and conversations that are pertinent.

And news.com.au, newsmax, and oann get a look in for the headlines.

My other news sources are more related to Cyber and Cloud security ...

Leaning on the fence yakking it up with neighbors, or down at Altona cafes for a brew and what's your beef?

I'm listening.

</chris>

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
Sigforum for news, articles, and conversations that are pertinent.
"Where do you get your news, mate?"

"From a foreign website run by this crazy Yank..."

Posts: 107719 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. We ditched cable several years ago and it was liberating. I think I gave up visiting news outlets' websites like two years ago to deny them the traffic numbers.

I stopped listening to NPR in the car about 3 years ago.

I will occasionally watch some news clips on youtube and will listen to some podcasts that might be considered "news".

I am trying to avoid the corrupt and vile system as much as possible. Opt out.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good..Bad.. I'm the
guy with the gun.
Picture of SIGMYSTER
posted Hide Post
Will not watch any news.

Don't count me out till you see the box go in the hole!

Posts: 2123 | Location: N.E. OHIO | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Watch local news and that's it. I'm developing the attitude of a lot of others up here about the lower 48, let it burn.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11781 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr.sig239:
I have completely given up on television. Don't even turn it on anymore.

I don't watch broadcast or cable TV at all. We DO watch streaming services such as NetFlix and get all the screen time a person can handle, and much more!

Posts: 4604 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
No mainstream news for me.
I just reached the breaking point back in January.
I don’t miss it at all, there’s plenty of places where you can hear “truth” instead of B.S.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gave up on broadcast news several years ago. Lately, I’ve had to give talk radio a rest as well. On vacation for the last week and I’ve only checked SF. No other news. This may be a permanent trend for me.

Posts: 1363 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post