SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you stopped watching "the news" altogether
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you stopped watching "the news" altogether Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
First, this isn't a competition- there's no need to tell us how much those guys suck and how much you hate them, and how you haven't watched the news since Lyndon Johnson was in office. I just want to know if you stopped and stopped entirely.

I gave up on the last of them on election night, last November, and I ain't goin' back, ever. I watch no news programs, listen to no news programs, read no news websites. In the past, I had stopped for periods of time, during all the utterly insane impeachment nonsense, and at other times as well, but I always went back. Well, no more. No more, ever. I get my news through the filter of SIGforum and I am all the happier for it.

Posts: 107715 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I have stopped. Now and then I pop onto a news website and quickly realize I don’t want to read it.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12448 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Yep, stopped some time back. Ending my daily dose of stupid and nonsense has contributed positively to my mindset.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It has been several years since I deliberately watched anything on television, whether news, entertainment, or anything else. Not that I made a decision to boycott the medium, but since I lost most of my hearing, it is a strain to understand what is going on, and it just is not worth the effort.

My wife does watch, and once in a while I might be passing by and something will catch my eye, but it has been a long time since I have turned a TV set on to watch anything.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Yes. My transition started with the 2016 election and we went cold turkey about a year ago when we completely ditched cable.

I get all the important “news” right here…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched a lick of news since after Trump was elected. The only exception since has been when a serious storm/hurricane threatens the Miami costal area just to peep at the weather. Thats it, just the weather segment. Anything of value newsworthy I get here.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched TV news for years and have never read news web sites. Recently, however, I've made a conscious effort to turn off/down the radio when the news updates come on.

Posts: 706 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
It has been several years since I deliberately watched anything on television, whether news, entertainment, or anything else.
There's good stuff to be found on TV. Despite PBS's disgusting political bias, there are marvelous programs like Nova to be had. There are old films, old TV series, but you know this, of course.

Posts: 107715 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched the news in years. I don't have any strong feelings towards it, I just quietly stopped when I realized that watching the news doesn't make my life better or easier in any way. Most of the things they report are useless time wasters, and the things that are actually important typically aren't reported well leaving me needing to seek out better sources anyway.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Yes, completely. With the exception of occasional Ben Shapiro or Mark Dice videos (more for entertainment and not news) I get everything worth reading right here in Sigforum.

Posts: 399 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you stopped watching "the news" altogether

Yup.

Q

Posts: 26468 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Corporate Media is dead to me.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
No news on TV. I recently started listening to Fox Business on XM, probably less than an hour a week while driving

Posts: 5348 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I no longer watch any "news" and haven't for a few years. I'd go back if they'd start unbiased reporting.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I gave up on the last of them on election night, last November, and I ain't goin' back, ever.

Cable news, yes entirely. And the same...not a single minute of it since election night. And that includes Tucker, Hannity, et al.

Onboard the ship, I do occasionally browse some news websites however.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30427 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
We slowly started watching less TV, especially the "news", beginning about 6 years ago.
This wasn't a conscious decision, just something that started happening as we realized neither the right or left version of the news was actually anything but editorializing and in many cases, outright propaganda.
When there is some major disaster or significant event that isn't, or shouldn't be, political, we may turn it on to catch the first information but soon things start to get slanted and you have to do your own research to attempt to get the real story.
The sad thing is that the weather, as inaccurate as it's always been, is now among the most politically slanted part of the media.
We now mostly watch history, National Geographic, movies and other forms of entertainment.

Posts: 9538 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
COMPLETELY GIVEN IT UP.

As I've mentioned before I stopped about 6 years ago. For me it was realizing that as a SME in a given area, only half of what the NEWS reported was even remotely true and even then was misleading and half-assed.

It's the same reason I don't watch reality shows. It's poorly scripted, fake, and only there to make money.

Now, I'll watch a POS movie all day because I know upfront its purely for entertainment value.

I'm on a survival show kick, Alone, Building Off Grid, Last Alaskan here lately.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6340 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've stopped watching most TV news. I watch a little on OANN and Newsmax only.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16535 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Like mentioned in my post above, I only watch the news for the weather segment on occasions during severe hurricane or storm threats...but even those can often be deceiving, who can forget this short clip of flooding from a storm..

please delete if inappropriate para, I just always get a kick out of these nitwits and remember your posts of reporting as a cameraman I think..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
Yes. I haven't watched or listened to any TV or radio news in many, many years. Occasionally I browse some internet semi-news sites, plus this forum. I'll still watch old movies, documentaries, old sitcoms, etc if I watch any TV at all.

What's the old saying, if you don't listen to the media, you are uninformed. If you listen to it, you are misinformed. I'd rather be uninformed than misinformed. At least then I know I'm not being lied to by the "experts".

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 579 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post