SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Crying Football Players
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crying Football Players Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Yet further indication of the softening of our society.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports...een-anything-like-it

Those weeping players- and the ones walking around on the sidelines with their hands on their head or squatting on the balls of their feet- they knew they were being watched by thousands of people in the stadium and countless people on TV. Yes, it's upsetting. Of course it is upsetting, but up until the past few years, men held it in until it was just not possible to hold it in any longer. The very last thing that should happen, then, is for these players to make this event about themselves.

The only time I saw my father cry was at his father's funeral. I was 8 years old and I was shocked. I had never seen a grown man cry, and certainly not in public, but my father weeped like a child. Never again after that.

In the world I grew up in, it was considered unmanly to cry in public and society allowed only the slightest leeway for exceptions to this, but now it's perfectly fine to do this, and it doesn't help this old world, when those of us who are supposed to project strength turn into weepy puddles.

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Worse, the "coaches" pulled them off the field. Its Ok that they did that, but they didn't forfeit the game for their stunt. Yeah, it was a stunt. The tough play on, hardship or not.

I've played in a lot of games, been to a lot more, and watched a huge number of them. First time I've ever seen a player hauled off the field and the rest of them puss out and not play on. And these are 2 of the best teams in pro ball. Maybe.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 62, I might cry if one of my children would die.
Your not supposed to outlive your children.

Posts: 959 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I was watching that game, and the coverage was different than anything I’ve ever seen. Para’s point about men not crying in public is not lost on me, but this was treated differently than any injury I’ve ever seen.

There have been games where there is a neck injury, and they stabilize the player and transport him off the field, with no one knowing if he’ll ever walk again. In those cases, players take knees, pray, are obviously concerned, but then the game resumes.

The players and broadcasters treated this like he may have died. And I guess he practically did die. His heart stopped. They at least temporarily revived him, but we don’t know if he’ll live.

Perhaps watching your friend maybe die is different than suffering even a horrific injury.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I’m also 62, and agree with what’s been said above.

I might cry when I lose my father or for the loss of a child.

This is another example of the touchy/feely world we live in today. The more of this stuff I see, the more I believe the comet that Para has spoken of in the past, might be the only option left.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6489 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course it is upsetting, but up until the past few years, men held it in until it was just not possible to hold it in any longer. The very last thing that should happen, then, is for these players to make this event about themselves.

The only time I saw my father cry was at his father's funeral. I was 8 years old and I was shocked. I had never seen a grown man cry, and certainly not in public, but my father weeped like a child. Never again after that.

People react differently in the face of sudden loss. Most of them stood silently. A few clearly wanted to play on. I'm not so sure getting a little weepy was an attempt to make this event about themselves.

My own father is now 80 and has become a bit more emotional in his older age.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24157 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
While we don’t have all the information yet, technically I don’t believe his heart stopped.

It went into an arrhythmia, which no longer efficiently moves blood around. Got the T-shirt, the mug… Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
One of the commentators last night was having trouble describing the "unique" bond these "men" form on the field. "Every play might be your last" and some such crap... I was like, you ever heard of the military? ya bone head? Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6219 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
Well said, Para.

Never in my life time did I see this happening to the USA. What will happen to the USA if we are ever forced into another World War?

"Win one for the Gipper"

This originated in American football. Knute Rockne was the coach of the US Notre Dame team in the 1920s and George Gipp was his star player. The story goes that Gipp fell ill and when dying he asked Rockne to promise that, when things were going badly for the team, he should inspire them by asking them to 'win one for The Gipper'.
Ronald Reagan played the part of Gipp in the 1940 film Knute Rockne: All American. The screenplay has the line:
And the last thing he said to me, "Rock," he said, "sometime when the team is up against it and the breaks are beating the boys, tell them to go out there with all they've got and win just one for the Gipper.

Reagan was given the nickname Gipper, which lasted throughout his life. Reagan later used the quotation when seeking election as US president.

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't get why they stopped the game and now postponed it. Players get hurt all the time and the game goes on. There was absolutely nothing anybody there could do for the young man injured. To add to what stoic-one said, the NFL is always making analogies to the players and "warriors." Well, a military operation continues when there are casualties. People payed a lot of money to see the game, not only for tickets, but everything else in order to get there, and the game had big playoff implications.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5167 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Rush called it the chicifacation of USA.

Woke fuckers are about to get a wake up call.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
They continued the game when soccers Erikson had a heart attack on the field. https://youtu.be/XPwYJD6KNj0

Posts: 2308 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Going forward, it will be interesting to see if this is the new normal.
When I heard they stopped and postponed the game I assumed he had died or clearly (to those in the know) that he couldn't survive this. I don't recall this type of reaction before. There was a game several years ago when a guy have a terrible looking leg injury and you could tell by their reaction that it was bad but no crying or ending the game.
There have been other sporting events in the past where people have actually died and it continued.

Posts: 9534 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
All involved suddenly cottoned to why American football was considered a gladiatorial sport.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31465 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Crying: Acceptable at funerals and the Grand Canyon.

-Ron Swanson

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think some of those guys weeping/crying was perfectly normal. Spend an inordinate amount of time with and around each other, and you see somebody you're close with collapse, then medical personnel are having to do CPR and use a AED, the implications of it all that hits people in different ways. There's been enough actions where a player is having to be stabilized fearing paralysis but, performing CPR and working to resuscitate, that's a different level.

I thought the more annoying and grating aspect of the coverage, was the broadcasters incessant referencing to the time-line of events. Getting overly exact, a fussy obsession, as to when and the sequence of events.....what difference does it make if he collapsed at 9:05 or, 9:08?!?!

Posts: 14672 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
One of the commentators last night was having trouble describing the "unique" bond these "men" form on the field. "Every play might be your last" and some such crap... I was like, you ever heard of the military? ya bone head? Roll Eyes
People have a need to create "heroes" who can be exalted, and when real examples are not found, these heroes are created out of whatever is at hand, and in this phony culture we have, this stuff is everywhere.

What really gets me is the cliched and cloying language of this false idolatry- talking about "unique bonds" as you mentioned. Ridiculous. It's a professional sport. Any such bonds exist between a player and his contract. They're out there for self-enrichment. The "bond" they have is with the almighty dollar.

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I’m curious about his Covid vaccination status…

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I’m curious about his Covid vaccination status…
Apparently, so is half of twatter... Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6219 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
I don't get why they stopped the game and now postponed it. Players get hurt all the time and the game goes on. There was absolutely nothing anybody there could do for the young man injured. To add to what stoic-one said, the NFL is always making analogies to the players and "warriors." Well, a military operation continues when there are casualties. People payed a lot of money to see the game, not only for tickets, but everything else in order to get there, and the game had big playoff implications.

TPTB could not take any risks of discussion or mention on a live national tv broadcast about what possibly could have a contributing factor of his collapse (other than a hard hit), like the covid-19 vaccine for example.

As others have mentioned, games have always continued after player’s sustain terrible injuries.

Why is this different? What has changed?

Is it now NFL policy to discontinue playing a game when a player gets badly hurt?

Posts: 3490 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post