SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good news for a change! Judge tells prosecutor to pound sand in Rittenhouse case
Page 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 93
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good news for a change! Judge tells prosecutor to pound sand in Rittenhouse case Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
And the mangled version would be as entertaining as it would be infuriating.

One does see the occasional reference to cycling a pistol slide in pop culture - here and there it sorta serves as a dramatic way to say that "someone's gonna get shot" in a TV show or a rap song. I certainly admit, though, that if I used that phrase I would feel compelled to stand ready with further explanation should it be of interest.

I guess I found myself wondering if "cycling the slide" had entered the public lexicon to the point that the officer thought of it as a quick way to say "cycling the bolt on an AR15" that the members of the jury would understand.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I agree that many more of the general public have seen pistol slides cycled by hand (or in slow motion) than have seen AR bolts cycled with the charging handle, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they know what “slide” means. I can only speculate (and my patience is limited) about why the officer said “slide,” but if it was deliberate I will say it was unnecessary. Use the proper terminology and explain it further if necessary. It’s not that complicated.

I am reminded of the times instructors in armorer courses have used cutesy terms or parts names used by other manufacturers (e.g., “slide stop” or “locking block” rather than “slide catch lever” or “locking insert”), and it’s always annoyed me because not only are they being lazy, it can be confusing—and an LE armorer shouldn’t be confused. Use the right terms and that’s what people will learn.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47471 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
This sounds pompous, but the smartest people are those who can explain difficult (and sometimes not-so-difficult) concepts in terms that the ignorant and less-intelligent can understand. They do that by using common terminology and examples that everyone is familiar with.
Truer words were never spoken.

Much like when the Defense Attorney illustrated the problem with the photo.
Here is a Red Square, here is an adjacent Blue square.
What color square will the algorithm select for the square between them, purple?
Great example that everyone could understand, the algorithm changes the photo, and the expert witness did not know how. (If I was smart and could remember what he said, I could have explained that better.) Big Grin

As for me I would have said pulling the charging handle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimber1911,

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11028 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Binger then asked in apparent disbelief: "...on the night you were carrying a large caliber fully-semmi-automatic AR-15, and, and, and, and, and, and, and, yet, you were not wearing your necessary prescription eye glasses, Mr. Rittenhouse?"

I cant believe he used a "My Cousin Vinny" line.

As far as the "pulling the bolt back" debate, I always thought it was called the charging handle.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3890 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
At least we can be thankful that "booger hook' and 'bang switch' and 'giggle switch' weren't read into the record.

Posts: 15961 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Binger then asked in apparent disbelief: "...on the night you were carrying a large caliber fully-semmi-automatic AR-15, and, and, and, and, and, and, and, yet, you were not wearing your necessary prescription eye glasses, Mr. Rittenhouse?"

"Large caliber"?

When did a 5.56 become a "large caliber"?

I know he meant high capacity, but the PA is just some stupid asshole that could pass tests in law school.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34226 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Yeah and whats a "fully - semmi automatic"?

Is Sigmonkey being funny? I pulled the quote from him. Sorry I didnt reference him.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3890 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
quote:

I cant believe he used a "My Cousin Vinny" line.

I believe that was parody.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, today the defense & prosecution get 2 1/2 hrs each for closing arguments, then the judge gives the jury instructions.

So barring any more delays, the jury might start deliberating late today. I can't see any jury convicting him on any of the major charges. Even if he's found guilty of one of the lesser charges, maybe the judge will let him walk with time served.
What the jury should do is bitch slap the prosecution for putting them through this unnecessary circus & acquit him of everything within 5 minutes.

Then Kyle can try to decide who is going to get their asses sues first.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Link to today's closing argument proceedings.

Posts: 3558 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
Yeah and whats a "fully - semmi automatic"?

Is Sigmonkey being funny? I pulled the quote from him. Sorry I didnt reference him.

Yes, everything that guy said, except "large caliber rifle" was bullshit.

(He did state the .223 was "large caliber" and "powerful rifle".)

(It was parody of My Cousin Vinny and ragging on the ineptitude of the badgering Binger)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44068 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
This charge has been dismissed by the judge.

quote:
COUNT 6: POSSESSION OF A DANGEROUS WEAPON BY A PERSON UNDER 18

Rittenhouse was armed with an AR-style semi-automatic rifle. He was 17 years old on the night of the shootings. Wisconsin law prohibits minors from possessing firearms except for hunting. It was not clear on Friday what Schroeder intends to tell jurors about that charge.

The charge is a misdemeanor punishable by up to nine months behind bars.

Also
Edit:
quote:
COUNT 7: FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH AN EMERGENCY ORDER FROM STATE OR LOCAL GOVERNMENT

Rittenhouse was charged with being out on the streets after an 8 p.m. curfew imposed by the city, a minor offense that carries a fine of up to $200. Judge Bruce Schroeder dismissed the charge during the second week of trial after the defense argued that prosecutors hadn’t offered enough evidence to prove it.

The rest of the charges will be heard, as argued with the evidence presented, on the basis of self defense.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6252 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Good. Those (IMpompousO) would've been charges that could've easily confused some members of the jury. FWIW, one of the live-streaming lawyers claimed that the curfew was ruled legally void by another court in Kenosha County.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do all of the internet gun experts find it necessary to point out all of the " errors " that people make when describing firearms ? Does it matter if it's a magazine or a clip ? A charging handle or a bolt or a slide , for the sake of the discussion ? As long as the Jury understands then the point has been made . If any of the Jury are knowledgeable about firearms then they will understand as well . Clip or magazine . Pick one . It won't change anything . Big Grin

Posts: 4120 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ I've tried to explain it before to people who have no interest in guns. Now I feel somewhat challenged (if I can get away with saying that) to think of an explanation that doesn't cause the average person's eyes to glaze over or wander to their watch.

That's obviously not impossible, but it's a subject that does invite some thought.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I just tuned in at 1050 EST and they are already doing jury instructions. So doesn't look like the prosecution or defense took their 2.5 hour allotment for closing arguments.

Posts: 6677 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I just tuned in at 1050 EST and they are already doing jury instructions. So doesn't look like the prosecution or defense took their 2.5 hour allotment for closing arguments.
They haven't made closing arguments yet, that's later, after jury instruction of the laws.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6252 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
So he had the right to be there, and the right to be armed such as he was... correct? Following the dropping of those two charges...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
This lesser charge thing is BS in my opinion and is serving to really muddy up the water. It is confusing and it seems to me that the jury is being tasked with doing the job of the DA. If he is to be convicted of a lesser crime then he should have been charged with a lesser crime.

What's next? Are they going to get him for double parking when he arrived in Kenosha that night?

Posts: 20217 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post