SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year IV
Page 1 ... 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Trump Presidency : Year IV Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
One issue I haven’t seen much mention of is what actual crime(s) will this guy be charged with?

Firearms violations, yes, but what else? Will a Secret Service agent be able say that man pointed a gun at him and thereby committed some level of threat (as well as justifying the agent’s/agents’ evidently shooting without being shot at)? At this point and had the situation been even slightly different we might have expected that the man would be given a cigar and pat on the back as he was released from custody by some leftist judge.

The gun charges are basically a place holder for other charges. The gun charges will get him a no bond in front of a federal magistrate and hold him until the USDistrict Attorney can file the other charges.

It’s not the only thing he’s gonna be charged with.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11459 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I agree with Dick Morris...for once. I can't stand the guy and will never forgive him for the damage he helped bring to our country, but he is right about Trump in an interview I saw today.

He stated that the future of our country depends on Donald Trump staying alive. He (Trump) needs to stop being reckless with his own safety. Stop playing golf for a few months, stop doing outdoor rallies, etc.... The deep state (USSS, FBI, DOJ, Homeland Security, CIA, etc...) has no interest in keeping him alive. Oh sure, individual agents might...might, but the leadership doesn't. It is up to him to keep himself safe and stop doing shit that could get him killed.

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
He (Trump) needs to stop being reckless with his own safety.

Stop being ridiculous. Oh, let's just hide in the basement.

Q

Posts: 27512 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:

Dec.2002 Mr.Routh was charged with "poss.of a weapon of mass destruction" (machine gun) but only received probation.

So full auto gun is now considered a WMD?
That's dumb. About as dumb as calling an ordinary rifle an "assault Weapon" and maybe dumber.

On the other hand, he should have been locked up for a long time for being armed while doing the other crap he did like DWS, running from a traffic stop, and barricading himself for hours.

Everyone knows the fully automatic machine guns are Way More Dangerous than the regular machine guns.

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Is it just a coincidence that both shooters were in Black Rock commercial?

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9088 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
He (Trump) needs to stop being reckless with his own safety.

Stop being ridiculous. Oh, let's just hide in the basement.

It's not ridiculous at all...clearly, and I'm not at all suggesting that he "hide in the basement". He should just begin using his head, while it is still where it belongs.

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
Is it just a coincidence that both shooters were in Black Rock commercial?

They weren't.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
It's not ridiculous at all...clearly, and I'm not at all suggesting that he "hide in the basement". He should just begin using his head, while it is still where it belongs.

Having outdoor rallies is not reckless. Playing golf is not reckless. Taking precautions yes, but a true leader doesn't hide.

Q

Posts: 27512 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
It’s not the only thing he’s gonna be charged with.

Such as, do you think?

I ran across a Fox interview of some attorney who mentioned attempted murder. That’s obviously what springs to mind, but as far as I believe is known at present, he never fired his rifle. “Attempted attempted murder”—? Planning and preparing to the point of making an overt act such as hiding in the bushes with a gun could result in a conspiracy charge if anyone else was involved, but if it’s only one individual?

I know about placeholders, but based on my admittedly narrow understanding of criminal law nothing springs to mind. I’m therefore genuinely curious what our authorities might think and why I asked the question.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The guy seems to have been prolific on social media. What are the chances he posted threats to Trump’s life? Would there be applicable charges at that point?

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Having outdoor rallies is not reckless. Playing golf is not reckless. Taking precautions yes, but a true leader doesn't hide.

I agree 100% 12131. If the government agencies can not protect high profile presidential candidates then outsource it to Eric Prince. I bet the outer perimeter of that golf course would be patrolled so a want to be assassin could not lie outside a fence for 12 hours waiting on President Trump.

There would be actual reconnaissance and perimeter security. We have drones with thermal imaging, dogs, all sorts of security measures that could stop the amateurs that have attempted these assassinations.

Thank God that a determined person that actually knows what they are doing has not taken the opportunity to take President Trump out.

This is nothing but Government failures, plain and simple.

Posts: 13069 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

Such as, do you think?

They could never leave 18 USC 922-940 and wrap him up for the rest of his days. I’m willing to bet the guns were probably straw purchased. That alone adds 15 years. Given his history, he’ll be on the upper end of the sentencing range. 15 years on the gun charges, 15 years on the straw, at 85 percent to serve. That’s not even to count other violations involving interstate commerce as outlined in 18 USC.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37173 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Also 77 prior arrests add to his point scoring for sentencing purposes in Federal Court.

Posts: 2837 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44459 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
They could never leave 18 USC 922-940 and wrap him up for the rest of his days.

That was my vague thought, so thanks.

As usual, though, the Internet is rife with self-styled experts who like Mr. “the SKS is a Russian AK-47” won’t hesitate to offer confident opinions with no basis of actual knowledge. It will nevertheless be interesting to see what happens to him (if he remains alive*).

* Something else that a commentator on YouTube mentioned several times today when discussing the incident.

Oh, well: What would some people do without the possibility of nefarious conspiracies to entertain them? Is it possible that the cabal managed to find another total loser to carry out their evil designs? Yes, but I will require a bit more than baseless speculation to ultimately convince me.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Another thing of specific interest the secret service agent said at the press conference today was that Trump playing golf there was not part of his planned schedule, in response to some of the questioning. If that is the case, then how did the assassin know to stake out that golf course for 12 hours and how was he not discovered during that time???

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4416 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
They could never leave 18 USC 922-940 and wrap him up for the rest of his days.

That was my vague thought, so thanks.

My guess is just that. But, it’s a guess based on 5 years working on a fed task force. And exclusively working cases in 18 USC.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37173 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
Another thing of specific interest the secret service agent said at the press conference today was that Trump playing golf there was not part of his planned schedule, in response to some of the questioning. If that is the case, then how did the assassin know to stake out that golf course for 12 hours and how was he not discovered during that time???
A couple of pages back:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
As to all the whackos on social media behaving as if they KNOW that this loon is a CIA operative- please. It is to laugh. Roll Eyes You think this was a professional job? Really?

Who knows how many times this nutjob waited in those bushes. It's not hard to predict that Trump would be on that golf course yesterday, no public statement needed.

But, all the kiddies need to play James Bond, so...
...and he was discovered, but not until the Secret Service came around. You think they've got men and dogs beating every inch of brush on the perimeter of a golf course? The guy secreted himself in that spot at 1:30 in the morning, when no one was around, then waited.

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Sorry for missing that para… I wasn’t trying to insinuate that he was a CIA operative or anything of the sort, but I don’t think he lived locally to potentially/regularly stake the course out and didn’t seem like it would be just luck, although stranger things have happened I guess. It is still very odd though that he wouldn’t be discovered or seen by someone being there for that amount of time until the secret service agent noticed the barrel in their hole ahead process. I’m certainly glad he did eventually get discovered before it was too late as are so many others. Just seems like an area like that would be swept more thoroughly.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4416 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I was just trying to minimize my typing by reposting.

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post