SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year IV
Page 1 ... 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 ... 1135
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Trump Presidency : Year IV Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:

Who in the hell thought that up?

"Hey, let's send the former President's detail to guard the first lady and back fill."

"Great idea."

This happens quite often, especially during an election year. They will shift Agents from Arizona to a detail in New York, Agents from Chicago will go to Kansas all for these events.
USSS Offices might actually be closed, or bare bones staffing in the upcoming month or so. Damn near every Agent will be in Milwaukee for the RNC, then here in Chicago for the DNC.

The Agents assigned to Trump's detail are on Trump, and were on his Detail yesterday. Those Agents weren't detailed elsewhere.

I'm not making any excuses for the USSS, but there's only so many Agents to go around.
Even less Counter-Snipers as well.

The won't cancel an event, especially this close to an election because of "Security Issues" (ie. lack of Agents).

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8519 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by 0658:
Can these ROE's actually be true, I would hope not

https://x.com/susancrabtree/st.../1812462982661841170

quote:
But a source within the Secret Service community tells RealClearPolitics that the agency rules of engagement in this situation are to wait until the president is fired upon to return fire.

“You want to take a shot then find out the guy was holding a telescope?” the source suggested.

I call bullshit on this one.

I'll waive the "Bullshit" flag as well!
Those Counter-snipers will put a .338 in the threat as soon as they see it.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8519 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm at a loss over all of this. I'm thankful that Mr. Trump survived with only a relatively minor wound. It so easily could've been far worse. I'm saddened by the death of a true supporter and the serious injuries to two others. But more than anything I'm appalled over the utter breakdown of Trump's security. That shooter should never have been able to get onto that roof, let alone make his way into a shooting position and then manage to get off shots. And yet he did just that. Amazing...just not in a good way.

-MG

Posts: 2203 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
So that means the CSTs either didn't see the threat or didn't recognize a threat. Or didn't have a shot, at least not until the shooter started shooting.

Is this what we believe?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13079 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I believe they didn't see Crooks because the building he was on was outside the security perimeter. They simply weren't looking there until concerned bystanders began signalling to officers.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16871 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Will the fed.gov begin investigating the Democrats and commies (yes, I repeated myself) making statements lamenting President Trump’s survival?

Most of those people are deranged enough to try themselves, now that a lone loon < Maxwell Smart voice > missed by that much brain shooting President Trump.

Erik Prince’s take. He too, is spot on.

https://x.com/realErikDPrince/.../1812538250931642534

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31980 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rarely get tears in my eye; this image made it so!

Thank you for publishing it!!!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2148 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Can we redirect to discuss the RNC convention?

Because it’s going to be a security theatre shit show of Constitutional rights violations second only to the DNC convention, which will be far worse.

Attendees will be hassled, independent media will be hassled. Probably the only people not hassled will be the protestors.

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31980 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the female SS agents should be diverted to Jill and the male counterparts brought over to DJT. I say this because it makes zero sense to have anyone with a smaller frame on his “shielding team” as they cannot possible provide complete coverage to a man of his size. I am not saying there aren’t good female secret service agents. I just think they should be posted in other roles for his security detail not in his bubble.

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5187 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Secret Service blames local police, says it was tasked with securing properties surrounding Trump’s Pa. rally

https://nypost.com/2024/07/14/...ing-trumps-pa-rally/

The Secret Service blamed local police for failing to secure the rooftop from which gunman Thomas Matthew Crooks attempted to assassinate former President Donald Trump, insisting it was outside of the perimeter the federal agency was tasked with protecting.

Instead, securing and patrolling the factory grounds of AGR International Inc. — located about 130 yards from the stage where Trump was speaking Saturday — was the responsibility of local Pennsylvania police, Secret Service representative Anthony Gugliemi said, according the New York Times.

The Secret Service was only tasked with covering the grounds where Trump’s rally took place, with local police being recruited to assist with those efforts and secure the area outside of the rally.

More at link

Posts: 13049 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Secret Service blames local police, says it was tasked with securing properties surrounding Trump’s Pa. rally

https://nypost.com/2024/07/14/...ing-trumps-pa-rally/

The Secret Service blamed local police for failing to secure the rooftop from which gunman Thomas Matthew Crooks attempted to assassinate former President Donald Trump, insisting it was outside of the perimeter the federal agency was tasked with protecting.

Instead, securing and patrolling the factory grounds of AGR International Inc. — located about 130 yards from the stage where Trump was speaking Saturday — was the responsibility of local Pennsylvania police, Secret Service representative Anthony Gugliemi said, according the New York Times.

The Secret Service was only tasked with covering the grounds where Trump’s rally took place, with local police being recruited to assist with those efforts and secure the area outside of the rally.

More at link

And the blaming, counter-accusations, denials, and obfuscation begins.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaawwwwww!

Nice is overrated

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

Top.

Men.

Wow, I am having a hard time maintaining my usual respect for the USSS when they put out drivel like this.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
If counter snipers were not allowed first shot engagement, that is a great plan to get DT killed. That DT wasn't pulled from the stage the second a man on roof with rifle was seen is amazing. These two factors coupled with that rooftop being unsecured seriously implicate the "security" team. I'm surprised no visible canine units.

Posts: 7626 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I know that many of you have expressed concern over the FBI leading the investigation of the shooting. My first thought was the fox has been sent to protect the hen house! Eek But I must admit I don't know who I would trust with the job.
If there was ever any doubt about how much of a badass President Trump is that has now been answered.

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1727 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by 0658:
Can these ROE's actually be true, I would hope not

https://x.com/susancrabtree/st.../1812462982661841170

quote:
But a source within the Secret Service community tells RealClearPolitics that the agency rules of engagement in this situation are to wait until the president is fired upon to return fire.

“You want to take a shot then find out the guy was holding a telescope?” the source suggested.

I call bullshit on this one.

If that agent can't tell the difference between a telescope and an optic on a rifle given the optic he is looking through... he needs a new role.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38195 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let the blame games begin. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9245 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I can't believe DT relies on USSS for security and always assumed he had a private security detail. I think this assassination attempt shows the USSS can't be relied on, what does he do now?

As far as USSS blaming local police, I'll assume USSS manages the entire security plan, if the local police didn't do as instructed that's one thing, but if USSS didn't instruct and left that to them without verifying, they're idiots or negligent at least.

I barely have any shits to give on rhetoric possibly motivating an assassin. Holes in a security plan that are easily fixed with the detail in place that allow a possible and near assassination boil my blood.

Posts: 7626 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Here’s another spot on zinger from Sky News Australia.

Posts: 11976 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://x.com/dbongino/status/1812808006179963307

A decent sniper can easily hit a target out to 500 yards or more.
So why is the Secret Service claiming the building the shooter used to fire at Trump (which was a little over 100 yards away) wasn’t their responsibility?

C’mon man, this is bullshit. Get it together and take responsibility.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30875 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Maybe the security plan is structured to defend a Rohm 22 revolver, in which case maybe they nailed it.