SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year IV
Page 1 ... 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 ... 1147
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Trump Presidency : Year IV Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Diversity hire is more important.

Q

Posts: 27512 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:

The dots indicating the shooter’s position are in the wrong place in those pictures. He was on the other end of the roof and possibly that tree block the counter sniper’s view of the shooter. There’s pictures several pages back the show the shooter’s body laying on the roof. Judging by the counter sniper’s shot placement, the shooter was DRT.

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was on the other end of the roof and possibly that tree block the counter sniper’s view of the shooter.

Then who took him out, if the SS guy didn't have a clear view? Or, he just shot through the tree and prayed for the best?

Q

Posts: 27512 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Possibly. Those are fake trees in those pictures. Who knows what the actual view was.

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm watching Fox News; press conference with (I believe) head of USSS.
She looks insecure, not confident and in charge.
Deflects any questions about the assassination attempt.
Strong contrast with last night's presser with PA state troopers, governor, etc.

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
PedoJoe speaks from the Oval Oriffice at 2000 EDT tonight.

I thought after the debacle he wasn’t doing work after 2000. Maybe we’ll get to see him as vacant as ever.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Possibly. Those are fake trees in those pictures. Who knows what the actual view was.

According to this satellite photo, there is no obstruction.

https://twitter.com/OAlexander...twcon%5Es2_&ref_url=

Q

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:
The rifleman is subject to ROE (Rules of Engagement) and cannot fire unless a “Green Light” authorizes him to fire.

Not really true.

car541 explained it well in a few sentences. The “green light” thing might apply in a protracted situation in which a sniper could make an effective shot, but for some reason is considered inappropriate, such as a negotiator’s belief that the BG could be talked into surrendering. But then as a situation deteriorates and it’s believed, for example, that hostages are about to be killed, then the sniper would be told that a shot was authorized.

And I consider a meaningless movie drama statement like “green light” to be worse than useless. If someone is told to use deadly force when possible, it needs to be stated in as clear and unambiguous terms as possible. Plus, ultimately the decision to kill someone is the officer’s and the officer’s alone. At best he/she would be told, “Negotiations have broken down. The hostages are in deadly danger. You may shoot to neutralize the suspect when possible.”

If an officer heard gunfire from inside a classroom and when entering saw a man shooting students, would we expect him to say, “Hey, you: Hold on while I ask my chief if I can shoot you”? There was at least one incident that was highly criticized in the LE sniping community in which a sniper was told to not shoot until the chief arrived on scene. As a result the bad guy killed a hostage because the sniper followed his orders to wait.

And not that it really matters, but my effort on Google Earth came up with about 160 yards from the shooter’s position (as shown on Sky News from Australia) to the approximate location where President Trump was. I wonder where the other estimates come from.

And although it is somewhat low, the building the killer was on had a peaked roof, and the shooter was behind the peak. One photo I saw seemed to show that he shot from or was lying in the prone position at one point. That could have made him hard to see, and his rifle not visible at all until he brought it up to shoot. Speculation, though, so I will be looking for more information.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I pulled this from a different website. Not sure what proper attributions are needed here. I can provide a link to the page if appropriate.

BTW, there are comments in the other website that allege a LEO went up the ladder to the roof and spotted the shooter. He apparently retreated when the shooter pointed his rifle at him. Not sure what happened after that. No confirmations. Just something I caught while skimming a couple dozen pages.

I'm having some difficulty reconciling these two images for where the shooter is on the roof... Where is the person who took this picture located?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13086 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

According to this satellite photo, there is no obstruction.

Put the dot for the shooter on the right end of the roof and there’s a tree between him and the counter snipers. I really apologize that I can’t find the picture now, but it showed the shooter’s body on the other end of the roof with his rifle right next to him.

Using the picture above, I’ve added the poorly drawn gray line starting at the one end of the yellow line where the shooter’s body was and going to where the counter snipers were. There’s a tree in between.

Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4180 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Put the dot for the shooter on the right end of the roof ....

That is what the drone(?) footage provided on the Sky News report clearly showed. When facing the building he was at the far right end, not the left as many people have assumed.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
That is what the drone(?) footage provided on the Sky News report clearly showed. When facing the building he was at the far right end, not the left as many people have assumed.

Well, he was registered on the far right, but identified with the left. Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16900 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Maybe this aerial shot shows better. He was a bit more to the right, but maybe just cleared that big tree.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16900 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I'm watching Fox News; press conference with (I believe) head of USSS.
She looks insecure, not confident and in charge.
Deflects any questions about the assassination attempt.
Strong contrast with last night's presser with PA state troopers, governor, etc.

i saw some of that...horrible, she really copped an attitude. Also the guy in the vid above said the SS really aren't supposed to talk about it, they aren't part of the investigation, they are under investigation.

Posts: 3076 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Interesting that his body is 10ish feet away from his rifle.

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Wink

quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Yep. A .300 Win Mag to the head has to hurt.

quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
I'd call him "dead guy on roof" instead of shooter at this point.

I bet it didnt.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Interesting that his body is 10ish feet away from his rifle.

Well a 300 magnum to the brain can cause the body to "react" he probably convulsed and tossed it.

Posts: 1081 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

If one wants a clear mental picture of how these people think, look no further than The Atlantic, this published post shooting is exactly the problem in America, and wouldn't be surprised to see The View and others come out with similar shows on Monday. Vile, despicable, and clearly part of the problem.

This is who they are, what they think, what they say about us, not only behind our backs when we walk by, but now, right out in the open.

The link is to a MSN copy of the article, but for those who don't want to click, the article is posted.

Link

The Gunman and the Would-Be Dictator Opinion by David Frum

I read the article and Frum comes off as an unhinged psychopathic deranged lunatic.

Posts: 3578 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Maybe this aerial shot shows better. He was more to the right, but maybe just cleared that big tree.

That’s the picture I was thinking of. There’s what looks to be a backpack close to the crossover between the two buildings. If he climbed up there, the tree could have concealed him from the counter sniper’s view. I really don’t have a clue. No clue how tall the tree is or how dense its foliage is.

I’m not offering it up as an excuse for anyone either. Just an armchair observation.