SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year IV
Page 1 ... 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 ... 1147
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Trump Presidency : Year IV Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I thought I read somewhere that some other sniper shot the shooter, not the two snipers on the rooftop behind Trump.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13086 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
I can not imagine what Trumps wife and children are going through right now. To us he is President Trump. To them he was husband and father. Irreplaceable.

The man who lost his life protecting his family from gunfire can never be replaced. His blood is on the leftist's hand and they should be reminded of that at every opportunity.

This is what happens when you dehumanize people.

Posts: 5905 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I thought I read somewhere that some other sniper shot the shooter, not the two snipers on the rooftop behind Trump.

Oh nos! It wasn't from a grassy knoll, was it? Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16900 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

Ha, knoll it wasn't. Smile

But I think the comment also mentioned the sniper was at a distance of about 400 yards, perhaps on the rooftops adjacent to the pond. Would it make sense for snipers to be there? And take a 400 yard shot?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13086 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kkina:
Maybe this aerial shot shows better. He was more to the right, but maybe just cleared that big tree.

[Image removed to prevent duplicate from above]

That’s the picture I was thinking of. There’s what looks to be a backpack close to the crossover between the two buildings. If he climbed up there, the tree could have concealed him from the counter sniper’s view. I really don’t have a clue. No clue how tall the tree is or how dense its foliage is.

I’m not offering it up as an excuse for anyone either. Just an armchair observation.

I had not seen that image or video. It's interesting as the images you see of LEOS standing on top of the guy after the shooting seem to place him much closer to the west edge of the roof. Who knows.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 5025 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm having some difficulty reconciling these two images for where the shooter is on the roof... Where is the person who took this picture located?

It's not a flat rooftop.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30899 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
…And take a 400 yard shot?

I know a retired counter sniper from the POTUS detail.

For them, 400 yards is close.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

Ha, knoll it wasn't. Smile

But I think the comment also mentioned the sniper was at a distance of about 400 yards, perhaps on the rooftops adjacent to the pond. Would it make sense for snipers to be there? And take a 400 yard shot?

They must have meant 400 feet, not yards. 400 feet is about 130 yards, which is what's being reported.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16900 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Could it be the counter snipers discounted the close rooftop because it was supposed to be occupied by friendlies? I can’t imagine any counter-sniper team being tasked with rooftops from 100 yards out. I suspect this was a failure in the planning stages, that rooftop should have had officers on top of it, and the snipers thought so. This would also explain if they happened to glance over and see someone on top with a rifle that they would discount it, and also be looking further out for the source of incoming fire when it occurred. Just a thought, I can’t imagine that they would explicitly ignore that rooftop if they thought it was a potential source ahead of time, someone else had to have that assigned as their area of responsibility.

Posts: 2162 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
view from behind Trump

https://x.com/i/status/1812572714109956098

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe id="twitter-widget-1" scrolling="no" src="https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?dnt=true&embedId=twitter-widget-0&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&lang=en&theme=&id=1812572714109956098" style="position: static; visibility: visible; width: 550px; height: 1539px; display: block; border: none; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-image: url('https://codejanitor.net/embeds/images/bgmessage.png'); background-position: 50% 85px; background-size: 200px; overflow: hidden;" title="Twitter Tweet"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

This is the third time I've seen references to a local officer allowing the gunman to shoot. What the fuck? Even he the shooter got the drop on him. Why didn't the officer reengage the shooter when he got in prone position?

I would like to think that police would engage in a gun battle to save the attendees if not the former/future president.

Would that be normal protocol in a situation like this? Obviously this isn't a normal situation, but at least an active shooter, or similar.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'm finding that hard to accept.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44459 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Same. I can only imagine that scenario ends with cop and shooter dead, OR cop or shooter dead. There's no scenario I can imagine that ends with both alive.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
view from behind Trump

https://x.com/i/status/1812572714109956098

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe id="twitter-widget-1" scrolling="no" src="https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?dnt=true&embedId=twitter-widget-0&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&lang=en&theme=&id=1812572714109956098" style="position: static; visibility: visible; width: 550px; height: 1539px; display: block; border: none; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-image: url('https://codejanitor.net/embeds/images/bgmessage.png'); background-position: 50% 85px; background-size: 200px; overflow: hidden;" title="Twitter Tweet"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

This is the third time I've seen references to a local officer allowing the gunman to shoot. What the fuck? Even he the shooter got the drop on him. Why didn't the officer reengage the shooter when he got in prone position?

I would like to think that police would engage in a gun battle to save the attendees if not the former/future president.

Would that be normal protocol in a situation like this? Obviously this isn't a normal situation, but at least an active shooter, or similar.

1. We don't know everything about this encounter
2. Should the officer have just drawn on him...we don't know the scenario.
3. I'm going to give the officer the benefit of the doubt here, likely climbed up the ladder and saw Crooks, got Crooks attention (yelled at him? made enough noise?), Crooks points rifle at him, officer ducks-down below sightline expecting fire. Officer radio's in the situation, Crooks know's his gig is up and begins shooting. I'm sure the officer is now wishing he would've just done something versus calling it in...if he did. Fortunately a very bad situation becoming a worse situation was avoided.

We're at the 24-hr mark since this happened, we'll need more time to see this sorted out.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
It's interesting as the images you see of LEOS standing on top of the guy after the shooting seem to place him much closer to the west edge of the roof. Who knows.

That’s a perspective thing with the camera and photo. The picture was taken from so far away and then cropped, everything looks like it’s right there. Beyond the guys standing there, you can see the facade of the building at the parking lot end as well as the light that is hanging over that facade. It looks like the one guy’s camo covered knee is leaning against that light fixture. That light is on the opposite end of the building from the back of the building we see in the picture. There’s zero chance anyone could accurately estimate how long that building is based on that photo.

The footage from behind Trump also shows this effect. The pictures from the front make it look like the people in the bleachers are mere inches behind Trump. The footage from behind proves otherwise. It’s also how people can take pictures of people holding up the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
This is what happens when you dehumanize people.

Everything else going on aside, this one thing is an irrefutable fact. All the worst atrocities in the world have followed on the heels of the perpetrators being told the victims are inhuman, or less than human. For a long time, now, we to the right of center have been painted by those on the other side as monstrous - a threat to their very existence. The people I know with conservative values just want to be left alone, and yet the other side is told we want to carry out genocide against those whose values we don't agree with. I can't imagine anything further from the truth, and the restraint shown yesterday in the wake of this speaks to that.

Posts: 17622 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just a thought, I can’t imagine that they would explicitly ignore that rooftop if they thought it was a potential source ahead of time, someone else had to have that assigned as their area of responsibility.

Yes. Why wasn't a good guy on that roof?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39225 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Is it just me or does the snipers behind Trump look like they never shot? he raises his head up and puts it right back down. if that was a 300 win mag it would have looked alot different, and the one to the right of him ducks down.

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Fundraiser for Pennsylvania victims: https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...180096905#9180096905

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
...and yet the other side is told we want to carry out genocide against those whose values we don't agree with.

The left is projecting their own insanity and blood lust.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post