SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
what or where is everyone buying mask from, I have a NBC grade mask from USMC but any suggestions on on line cheap mask ?

IMHO you should stay away from disposable masks altogether, unless they're custom-fitted. Without an airtight seal, the mask would be quite useless.

My suggestion is to buy an inexpensive respirator, such as 3M puts out, and load it with N95 filters (you could also use the higher grade R95 or P95 filters, but they would cost more). Then change out the filter elements as directed.

You probably would need to go online to purchase. I happened to check Home Depot for more P95s for my respirator, and everything was sold back to the walls.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16936 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
What if it like, never leaves your body? Like ya know mannn, you’re sick forever. That would suck.

Some viruses are like that.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16936 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You can get a mask next Doomsday. Supplies will recover after this current Doomsday and then you'll have your chance to get your mask.

Posts: 109097 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer:
Dakor, why isn't the general public given the vaccination with 10-20 strains in it?

Great question, the best answer of which is the cost. Ramping up biomanufacturing for that many strains and performing cocktail testing in humans would be extremely cost prohibitive. The strategic reserve that I referenced isn't used on the officials mentioned unless things become a bit scary, but I'm in the dark as to the actual protocol. I just know of its existence.

Posts: 3371 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
What if it like, never leaves your body? Like ya know mannn, you’re sick forever. That would suck.

As an RNA virus, Coronavirus doesn't integrate with the genome and there is no latency (unlike say Chicken Pox and its later expression = Shingles).

Posts: 3371 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
quote:
Dakor, why isn't the general public given the vaccination with 10-20 strains in it?

Great question, the best answer of which is the cost. Ramping up biomanufacturing for that many strains and performing cocktail testing in humans would be extremely cost prohibitive. The strategic reserve that I referenced isn't used on the officials mentioned unless things become a bit scary, but I'm in the dark as to the actual protocol. I just know of its existence.

Thank you.

Posts: 332 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
... you also need to take into consideration infectivity. This is where the Flu blows the Coronavirus out of the water.

You keep claiming that, yet everything else I've read suggests SARS-CoV-2 is much more infectious than influenza. Do you have a cite?

Do you know where Flu originates? If so, how many people have the Flu globally???

I watched Dr. Mark Seigel on Fox not an hour ago say the coronavirus is probably more contagious.

edit: I watched the video and he said probably.

13:50 in the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYiQqRNXWsk

Probably. But the takeaway shortly after that was "this looks like overall a pretty mild virus." Also probably. Keeping in mind that "pretty mild" can still kill a lot of people, and has. We are fortunate that this particular virus shares traits with other viruses we are pretty familiar with, shortening time needed to find treatment and prevention options. Lucky. It rapidly transfers between humans, but we have a clear bead on how. Lucky. It lives in an animal reservoir, but not one (yet) in our own back yard, or even common. Lucky. And best of all, not a killing, lethal virus (imagine lyssavirus - that would be rabies - transmissible by aerosol) that would wipe out humanity in a fortnight. Again, lucky. Very lucky. None of which we had any control over, just the fall of the dice and a few nucleotides. So, as my epidemiologist pals are quaintly fond of phrasing, we should "CTFD." And thank our stars and Deities we have what we have - this time. I am.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

As an RNA virus, Coronavirus doesn't integrate with the genome and there is no latency (unlike say Chicken Pox and its later expression = Shingles).

Thanks for the explanation mannnnn.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Would my plan to simply carry a flask of whiskey and walk around inebriated all the time so that the alcohol will kill anything that enters my body be feasible?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30933 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Would my plan to simply carry a flask of whiskey and walk around inebriated all the time so that the alcohol will kill anything that enters my body be feasible?

Shouldn't you drink Mexican beer for the Coronavirus? Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

Hope you are prepared for worst case. In-laws live a few minutes from Travis and the first untraceable case in US was found in SF. FIL is quadrapledric and needs special care. They are stuck in their home or hospital due to care he needs.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21122 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Aw man. What if everyone goes out and buys ALL the food and ALL the whiskey.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

I was at Sam's Club today and someone had 3 cases of water and two cases of Corona they were loading into their car. Best to hedge your bets.

I was out of a little container of hand sanitizer I use after going to see clients in jail, so I stopped at Target. They still had a good supply of that, bleach was 3/4 sold and they were completely out of "medical masks" whatever quality those were.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
That’s it. I’m going to hoard all the whiskey.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
That’s it. I’m going to hoard all the whiskey.

Vodka and rum here, but I am seriously thinking about buying some liquor. Haven't had any in the house for over a year, don't drink it much, but beer is really heavy to transport.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21122 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
... you also need to take into consideration infectivity. This is where the Flu blows the Coronavirus out of the water.

You keep claiming that, yet everything else I've read suggests SARS-CoV-2 is much more infectious than influenza. Do you have a cite?

Do you know where Flu originates? If so, how many people have the Flu globally???

That's not a cite and doesn't address the question. You claim SARS-CoV-2 is less infectious than the average seasonal influenza. What is the basis of your claim?

The R0 (a value expressing the susceptibility of the population to a disease) of a typical seasonal influenza runs around 0.9 to 2.1 (mean of 1.5). The estimated R0 for SARS-Cov-2 currently ranges from 1.4 to 6.49 (mean about 4). The WHO puts it at 1.4 to 2.5 (mean of 2).

Near as I can tell, from what is believed at this time, SARS-CoV-2 is believed to be at least as virulent as seasonal influenza, and possibly quite a bit more.

Now add to that the 1st, 2nd and 6th points in this post of mine and it sure doesn't appear less infectious to me.

Change my mind.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coronavirus Death rates are about 1 in 50 and that's how it really differs from flu. Now, flu puts kids and elderly most at risk of fatal pneumonia. This also seems to kill some middle aged healthy people. Also, flu lives a very short while on surfaces, almost all transmitted by air, person to person. This appears to also be transmitted by droplets and lives a very long period on surfaces, requiring sterilizing and decontamination, much like Noravirus. Then of course, for flu, we have vaccines and we have anti-virals but have neither for this. Then last, flu is generally contagious no more than one day before you show signs of the disease and one day after all signs are gone. This appears to be contagious up to 14 days before and 14 after or perhaps even more. This is closer to SARS but far more widespread and contagious. To control it's spread, needs to be treated much like Ebola probably.

Posts: 21415 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's not a cite and doesn't address the question. You claim SARS-CoV-2 is less infectious than the average seasonal influenza. What is the basis of your claim?

The R0 (a value expressing the susceptibility of the population to a disease) of a typical seasonal influenza runs around 0.9 to 2.1 (mean of 1.5). The estimated R0 for SARS-Cov-2 currently ranges from 1.4 to 6.49 (mean about 4). The WHO puts it at 1.4 to 2.5 (mean of 2).

Near as I can tell, from what is believed at this time, SARS-CoV-2 is believed to be at least as virulent as seasonal influenza, and possibly quite a bit more.

Now add to that the 1st, 2nd and 6th points in this post of mine and it sure doesn't appear less infectious to me.

Change my mind.

Oh, so doing anecdotal math doesn’t count. Read my post concerning incorrect R0 usage. Proceed with your logic and tell me why cumulative Flu infection numbers are >3,000 times globally than with the new Coronavirus strain. Go look the figures up yourself as I’m not here to appease you.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Read my post concerning incorrect R0 usage.

Generally speaking: Greater infectiousness leads to a greater R0. Yes or no?

Besides which: Every report I've seen suggests SARS-CoV-2 is more infectious than influenza.

quote:
Proceed with your logic and tell me why cumulative Flu infection numbers are >3,000 times globally than with the new Coronavirus strain.

Oh, I dunno. Maybe because the current seasonal influenza has been on the march a lot longer? Just a guess, mind you.

quote:
Go look the figures up yourself as I’m not here to appease you.

It's not a question of appeasing me. It's a question of proving your assertion. Again: You keep repeating that SARS-CoV-2 is less infectious than the current seasonal influenza. All reports I've seen are contrary to your assertion.

Show us a report from a credible source that supports your claim.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
SARS-CoV-2--> <--influenza

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44483 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post