SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Gosh, what will this do to Burning Man? I mean I know it's not a real guy and he can't get the virus. I'm just gonna stop typing now

Posts: 109090 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
oh my gosh....

the airlines are all atwitter

they're gonna lose $100 BILLION dollars because of this flu

here's a question...how do you loose $100 Billion that you never had in the first place?

it might be potential (future) revenue, but it certainly isn't cash in hand today that all of a sudden went poof

and its not like the airlines have ever made much money anyway...even if they made the $100 BILLION, chances are they'd still be operating in bankruptcy

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53806 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
My friend works in a local bank and they are seeing a higher number of people cleaning out there bank accounts in cash. wife went to Costco tonight and they had more people then she has ever seen restocking shelves.

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
oh my gosh....

the airlines are all atwitter

they're gonna lose $100 BILLION dollars because of this flu

here's a question...how do you loose $100 Billion that you never had in the first place?

it might be potential (future) revenue, but it certainly isn't cash in hand today that all of a sudden went poof

and its not like the airlines have ever made much money anyway...even if they made the $100 BILLION, chances are they'd still be operating in bankruptcy

Look at it this way, the airlines are staffed and have contracts in place that guarantee they are going to spend a certain amount of money (they buy fuel on contract, they pay labor on contract, they have mechanics sitting around in hangers doing nothing if planes aren't flying generating revenue).

When revenue - expense is positive it's profit. Otherwise, it's a loss. You paid more than you earned.

My business is taking a huge hit. My company builds servers. We contract with factories in China, specifically Wuhan.

The parts we need to complete servers aren't coming out of Wuhan. But we still have boards to build, sheet metal to bend, people to pay. But we can't sell those servers, because they are sitting in pallets somewhere waiting for parts. Meanwhile, we already put out the cash to pay the fab houses 6 months ago for boards.

So yea, it's a huge loss. People are going to lose jobs.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
And people did all this damage, not the virus.

But, OMG! virus...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44480 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The city of Austin declared a “state of disaster” and canceled all sporting events with crowds of 2500 or larger. It looks like round three of the MotoGP season is set to be canceled/rescheduled just like the first two rounds. Mad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21225 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
And people did all this damage, not the virus.

But, OMG! virus...

Yep. A lot of people need to change their name to Nancy.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4015 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
As people change their behavior to avoid contact, there is a chance the change will become permanent.
Maybe after a month, one decides they don't miss going to the movie, sporting event or bar as much as they thought. Could be permanent changes if this gets bad...

I think you're over estimating the attention span of the American public. In a couple of months, when it turns out zombies aren't eating our brains and China isn't incinerating half their populace, the uproar will be as to why we weren't made aware that many many multiples of the people that WERE diagnosed with CV-19, actually also had it, and just got better. And the corporations that incurred huge losses due to the hysteria are going to want reimbursed from the government.

edit: typos

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
My friend works in a local bank and they are seeing a higher number of people cleaning out there bank accounts in cash. wife went to Costco tonight and they had more people then she has ever seen restocking shelves.
I don't understand the reasoning behind cashing out your bank account. Things may get bad for a while, but civilization isn't going to collapse.
And if it did, cash isn't going to do you much good.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16641 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We all know the media is feeding the frenzy in their attempt to blame all of this on Trump. Just yesterday, Jim Acosta asked Pence if the government was going to pay the salaries of all the people that will end up staying home from work.

You just can't make this stuff up.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5139 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Just got this from Princess.

Sailings departing between March 9 and April 3*: booked guests can cancel up to 3 days prior to departure, receive a Future Cruise Credit for 100% of the cancellation fee amount, and move your booking to any voyage that departs by December 31, 2021.

Sailings departing between April 4 and May 31*: booked guests can cancel by March 31, 2020, receive a Future Cruise Credit for 100% of the cancellation fee amount, and move your booking to any voyage that departs by December 31, 2021.

Posts: 5551 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Perhaps Para should sticky some new threads...

The Coronavirus (COVID-19) : Year I
The Coronaviurs (COVID-19) : Year II
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) : Year III

quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
We all know the media is feeding the frenzy in their attempt to blame all of this on Trump. Just yesterday, Jim Acosta asked Pence if the government was going to pay the salaries of all the people that will end up staying home from work.

AMEN!! This has SURPASSED ridiculous, IMHO...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
First time I've ever felt conspicuous buying toilet paper at Sam's. Hey folks, I actually needed some since we're down to a few rolls, I'm not stockpiling!

Now the beef and bourbon, that was pure stockpiling.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12692 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
My contribution to the internet for this week...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11224 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
As Spock would say, "Fascinating!"

What they seek to preserve is not their life, but their comfort, although how much society would have to break down that the supply chain comes to a halt and you can't get TP, I don't know.

The water- that's even more fascinating; people are prepping for a disaster on such a scale that basic public utilities will cease to function. Yeah, well, this ain't that, folks. It just ain't. You think that we're gonna have water works employess, slumped over dead at the controls of the treatment facility? Snap the fuck out of it.

The one good thing to come out of this is that my wife suggested stocking up on supplies. Whenever I've made such crazy suggestions in the past of having a two month supply of food and as much water as we can store, she always agreed and then changed the subject. Maybe I can finally get my siege vittles.

She doesn't like Spam, though. More for me.

Posts: 109090 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
We all know the media is feeding the frenzy in their attempt to blame all of this on Trump.

No, but you can engage in wild-eyed speculation as to why the "news" media is doing what the "news" media does best: Hype every little thing beyond all reason to attract eyes and ears, thus attracting advertisers.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13100 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you for posting this. I remember Dr. Fauci from the AIDS epidemic. Good solid nonemotional delivery of the facts.

Posts: 17503 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:
I don't understand the reasoning behind cashing out your bank account. Things may get bad for a while, but civilization isn't going to collapse.

For a hurricane, it's very important to have Cash. In my county, my area was without power for 21 continuous days in 2005, and 14 days in 2017. With that, whatever merchants and gas stations that did/could open (some convenient stores/gas had generators), either didn't have electric or a phone/internet line to process any credit card transactions so cash was indeed king. You didn't even have reliable internet on cell phones for a week or so, if you did it was 3G and very spotty....worked for a minute, stopped working.

Not sure how it fits in here, but I recommend and always keep a decent amount of cash around for any emergency.

Posts: 21415 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:

For a hurricane, it's very important to have Cash. In my county, my area was without power for 21 continuous days in 2005, and 14 days in 2017. With that, whatever merchants and gas stations that did/could open (some convenient stores/gas had generators), either didn't have electric or a phone/internet line to process any credit card transactions so cash was indeed king. You didn't even have reliable internet on cell phones for a week or so, if you did it was 3G and very spotty....worked for a minute, stopped working.

Not sure how it fits in here, but I recommend and always keep a decent amount of cash around for any emergency.
I agree - for something that's going to cause a power outage, you would need cash on hand. And yes, you should always have emergency cash on hand. But this is nothing like a hurricane, tornado or earthquake.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16641 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post