SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
At the risk of being repetitious, I’ll say again- there are only a few readily (somewhat) available masks that are effective in protecting people from the virus like the N95 mask. And that is only if it is properly fitted to have no gaps. A proper fit test will show just how hard it is to get an ideal seal. If you go to anywhere where you see large numbers of people wearing masks, you are hard pressed to see any legitimate masks. Most you see are garbage. Cloth masks, dust masks, and in my opinion, ANY mask made by the perpetrators of this outbreak, the Chinese, is not worthy of trust. It is a government mandated muzzle; if it makes people feel better, so be it. Aside from retards driving with them on in their own cars, or walking in the open air around nobody, I’m not going to denigrate them openly, but I won’t wear one unless a place of business where I absolutely must do business and says they will trespass me for not following the “rules”.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear a mask. I wear it all over the world, where it's required by every health authority on the planet, as well as every airline, and most all public transport, and outside the US, nearly universally to go into a store, be out in public, or almost any other situation outside a home.

The mask may protect me. It may protect others. The chief function of the mask is to prevent infecting others. I may be a carrier and not know it. Most who are carriers, don't know it. If the mask prevents me transmitting large water droplets when I speak or breathe or sneeze or cough, and it does a fairly effective job of that, it stops most of the virus that might escape me, should I be infected.

Should others be infected, their wearing a mask stops most large water droplets, and my mask further prevents droplets, from entering my respiratory system.

Obviously some masks do better than others.

The red herring that a virus is smaller than the filtration level of the mask is irrelevant; the virus isn't being spewed out independently; it's carried, typically in water droplets when someone speaks, coughs, sneezes, and in some respiration.

I don't wear a mask in the cockpit. I invite any crew that wishes to wear one, to wear a mask, and some do. I'm in that little office with someone for ten hours; chances are good that if one of us have it, we'll all get it. We've got quite a few crew that have picked it up that way. Not long ago after returning from three overseas military bases, I was called and informed that several on my last crew had it. I tested negative. I was the only one. I hadn't been wearing a mask in the cockpit, but neither had anyone else.

In the cockpit, a mask causes glasses to fog, and I need those, particularly on takeoff and landing. For safety of flight, I don't wear the mask. In the event of a rapid depressurization, or fire or smoke, I'm required to be able to don and seat the oxygen mask with one hand, in five seconds or less. I can't do that while removing a covid mask. Again, safety of flight. I wear my mask everywhere else, except when driving in a car alone, but there are times when it's not appropriate, and I don't.

I did just get the vaccine, as did my wife. Variants are the larger concern.

For those who think that covid measures in the US are draconian or oppressive, you ain't seen nothing yet. Visit a few other countries and see what goes on there. Or even swing by Hawaii and don't bother with a mask, or stop in a park to take a picture, or violate quarantine.

If I see someone not wearing a mask, I say nothing. Not my business, not my fight. If someone isn't wearing a mask and sees me wearing mine, I expect the same courtesy. That's all.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I am opting out of responding to you

^^^^^^
Enjoy your trip to Tanzania!!!!!

Posts: 17529 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
I'll post this again, The China virus is 1/10th of a Micron. The N95 mask filters down to 3/10th of a Micron. Ergo, it will not filter the China virus. Will an N95 protect you from some things? Maybe but it is used to keep a nurse or doctor's breath from spreading germs on a patient and not very good at that. The virus is WAY smaller than these masks and tell me, how many people walking around have on an N95 mask? less than 1% with most wearing absolutely worthless masks. While I am not a doctor or anywhere close, I was in the medical field in the military and have a better understanding than many people. You are just screwed when you run in to the virus. That is all there is to it. I've had it and yes I was sick. Even the CDC said if you remember, only 6% of ALL DEATHS were just from the China virus. Yep 6%. The govt. has scared the living shit out of people and a whole lot of people on here too. Oh yea, I am 63 and a Type 1 diabetic and part of the at risk group.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 251 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You realize that the virus doesn't travel independently, and uses a carrier, right?

The virus is contained in water droplets.

Whether the mask has filtration to the size of the virus is irrelevant. Whether it has filtration to the size of the water droplets is very relevant.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
A water droplet is way bigger and the virus is not carried by just water droplets. If you choose to wear a mask, go right on ahead and I will respect that right. There a lot of smart people on this forum and I am always appreciative of the discussions that goes on here. Wearing the masks is not something that keeps us safe. By the way, the govt. has said how the flu is way down. I wonder why.Look at the states that stayed open and especially Florida. They have the second oldest population next to Maine. How have things turned out there in the last year?

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 251 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the people i know that have recently contracted the Wu-Flu were dedicated Mask Wearers. This is the same narrative as last Fall.

And the chart above that states that a basic surgical mask (the blue one) is 95% efficient in filtering out viruses is ridiculous.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
And I have said it before. Most I know who have it had were resistant to wearing masks. So your and my experience carry the same weight. Not much.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19764 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
What if some people are simply more prone to fall ill to a virus, and mask or no mask, will get it anyway?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
What if some people are simply more prone to fall ill to a virus, and mask or no mask, will get it anyway?

I’ve wondered about this as virtually everyone I know that has gotten the bug has been a faithful mask wearer.

Masks might protect against big water droplets flying out of your mask, but when those drops dry, breathing excels the virus that is no longer suspended in those big droplets. And no, you absolutely not need a water droplet for the virus to piggy back off of to become airborne. I’m convinced that many infections occur from transfer from objects to hands, to face, to poorly fit mask gaps/shitty porous filtration.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NapoleonSolo:
Even the CDC said if you remember, only 6% of ALL DEATHS were just from the China virus. Yep 6%. The govt. has scared the living shit out of people and a whole lot of people on here too.

Everyone here needs to be asking "WHY?".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jupiter,

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4878 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I am not buying that either. Gov is doing it because the people are allowing them to do whatever they see fit. Not just making people wear masks.

Tell anyone that mandates you wear a mask that you can not due to emotion distress or another reason. They cannot force you.

ORC, go ahead and try getting into a government building or hospital or school or Costco without a mask on.....These are everyday places that everyday people need to get access to. You're telling me that nobody is gonna say a damn thing about me not wearing a mask??? RIGHT Roll Eyes I can tell you right now that they (the government) are forcing me to put on a mask every time I go to one of my VA appointments. I suppose you could say I have the option to NOT wear a mask, but then I don't get my healthcare either. You see, your notions about maskholes is incorrect. It's nothing more than what we're experiencing with all the "racism, sexism, xenophobia" bullshit that a small group of people scream about. A small VERY VOCAL subset of the population (mostly entertainers) has screamed from Day 1 that the government needed to do something. The Government responded by first, telling people that masks weren't necessary, then changing course because EVEN MORE entertainers and (fake)newscasters were blithering on about needing something...which brings us full circle...we can't go maskless because a few people are scared.

I hope that breaks it down a bit better and we can move the conversation on a little.

Posts: 2860 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Sorry,It has nothing to do with that imho. You have to be able to break things down more than blaming someone who wants to wear a mask for protection. They are not your masters. They might be sheep, so to speak. But again, pitting Americans against Americans is the aim here. And according to several in this thread. It is working and why the gov will continue with it. If you run a business and you want people to wear one to enter. That is there business, period. Game over. Sorry fella's. Whether we agree or not. Just the way it is right now.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you run a business and you want people to wear one to enter. That is there business, period. Game over. Sorry fella's.

But many of these businesses are not making that choice on their own. They aren't asking that you wear a mask because they want you to wear a mask.

They are asking that you wear a mask because their local governments are threatening to shut them down if they don't.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is there business, period. Game over. Sorry fella's. Whether we agree or not. Just the way it is right now.

So what's next? You can't enter a business unless you present your Covid-19 papers?

Jawohl Kommandant.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4878 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Game over. Sorry fella's. Whether we agree or not. Just the way it is right now.

That line of thinking and your defeatist attitude is what they want. I see this attitude more and more and it scares the ever living shit out of me. I can finally see why the nazi’s were able to do what they did. All in the name of safety and security and everyone fell in line like good little nazi’s.

Posts: 2860 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I guess there are different situations in different area's.

I have been able to do virtually everything I have always done in the last year. Sure, certain things have been in short supply at times. But other than that it has been business as usual for me for the most part. Sure I have had to abide by the mask thing. But when around a lot of people I choose to wear one anyways.
I realize that rubs some of you the wrong way. If I was that opposed to wearing a mask I could of got done what I want and needed to do other ways.

I know this is not a perfect world situation. But I am not going to live my life complaining and being pissed off. Does that mean I support a lot of this crap. No. And anyone that has read any of most post's know's better. Ymmv.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Can private business violate constitutional rights? How about civil rights? How about human rights?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
There are so many things wrong with the masks. The studies, both here and abroad, show that those who got COVID wore masks at the exact same distributions (from never to always) as control groups that didn’t get COVID. So they make zero difference, other than a statistically insignificant higher rate by mask wearers.

Which isn’t surprising to those that have used real filter masks for a living.

I’ve used OSHA approved dust masks properly fitted, and dust still got through. I worked in an area that had contaminated water droplets sprayed into the air. The masks used covered the full face, used cartridges that were rated for a set period of time use, for those contaminates. They were extremely difficult to breathe through.

We also wore full body anti-contamination suits, gloves & shoe covers. Almost no one got contaminated in the 3 years I worked there, because we were drilled in how to put them on and take them off. Contrast that with what you have seen, even in hospitals.

The masks are, at best, theater to give the masses a false feeling that they are doing something and have some control. At worst, they are part of a massive con. Using peer pressure and government force to make me wear one makes me angry.

Posts: 1519 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I know several people who have gotten covid, one who died, and every single one of them were strict mask wearers. That's not a scientific study, by the "experts." It's just what I've seen personally.

Mask compliance around here varies. For instance, I was in three hardware stores this week, and mask compliance was zero. I had to pick up a prescription at the pharmacy in a chain owned supermarket, and compliance there looked to be about 75%, while the locally owned store where we usually shop is well below 50%.

There is a large Amish community around here & they have a hardware/general store nearby that I'm in at least once a week. Mask compliance in all the Amish stores is, and always has been 0%.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post