SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
What are you retired guys doing?

Well, I sleep in. Then I take a nap almost every afternoon. Feels good. Every day I take stock of my billfold, and if there isn't enough money in it, I add some. Come afternoon, I take my wife to lunch. Its tough being retired.

I haven't taken stock of my savings in maybe 4 months. I don't call it a portfolio because I don't consider it that way. I'm a little upset that interest rates are dropping because I have a significant portion in savings bonds. Yes, the E bonds. I'd been pulling about 5 or 6% depending on when I bought them. But they do well during bad times.

Then I realized that about everything is paid for so why should I worry. And my checking account balance keeps growing slowly because of my generous SS deposits. It means I can live off it forever, or until I die. Guess I need to load up my guns to ward off the unwashed hoards when they read this. Or go to bed. So you could say I haven't bothered to panic. Yet.

^^^^^ Except I take the wife out for dinner on Thursday.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3809 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
I’m scheduled for a cruise next week. Hopefully we aren’t quarantined on the ship! It’s the Bahamas so I think my chances are good it will be fine.

The Bahamas put out a statement that if you've been to Italy, S. Korea, or China in the past 20 days before going there, they won't let you in.

If you get a chance check out the Exumas, they are beautiful.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I haven't looked at my 401K since this started. I'm 69 and retired,...

I've looked at our retirement account, just to see what it was doing. Goes down, goes back up, goes back down, goes back up,...

quote:
What are you retired guys doing?

Watching it go up and down. We have A Guy that manages ours. He made several trades before this coronavirus thing ramped up. Then made three trades more recently.

He seems to know what he's doing, so I leave him to it Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Since we have some Docs in this thread I have been wondering about something that I haven’t seen addressed and maybe one or more of you guys could respond..

In the past, even when our flu vaccine wasn’t specifically designed for the actual strain that came over we were advised to still get it as it would somewhat minimize the effect of the flu.

So my question is this...Does the current flu vaccine have any effect on this virus as far as minimizing its possible effects?
It very well may not but I have been curious about this.

It would be easy to give the stock answer, which would be no, but the real answer is more complicated. The flu vaccine stimulates production of antibodies, which may or may not be specific to a specific strain of the influenza virus. But it also stimulates the lymphocytes to respond to invasion in ways we don't understand. We also don't understand the cumulative effect of years or decades of immunizing the "herd" against viral assault. The ecology of viruses in general is a great unknown, and we certainly don't understand the human body completely, or its universe of systems. Otherwise. we would have no disease. So I'm going to give the less convenient and verifiable answer of "maybe," and as noted, will almost certainly prevent or mitigate the effects of influenza, which we already know is a bad actor.

Thank you. As a former biomedical researcher (UTMB 1982-1986) that is what I was thinking and I thank you for acknowledging that not all is known when it comes to how the body actually works...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6471 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
In any case, I won't be canceling or curtailing any of my upcoming travels.

I'm praying though that by April a majority of this IRRATIONAL hysteria will cease.

You will probably be fine.

However, it's amazing how quickly the virus has spread. Just 7 weeks ago, the global total was less than 250 cases, all in China, and almost all in the city of Wuhan.

Not 100% sure, but I thought in Washington they found an infection on the 36th person they tested. I suspect many more people have had this and assumed it was a cold. It would be interesting to see how many people have antibodies.

Would not be surprised if this bug has been spreading here for months, not weeks.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3626 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
U.S. is considering ways to discourage travelers from taking cruises

Excerpt:
quote:

WASHINGTON — The United States is considering ways to discourage U.S. travelers from taking cruises as part of a broader Trump administration effort to limit the spread of coronavirus, according to four officials familiar with the situation.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

Potential imprisonment on a cruise ship is reason enough for me to stay off them.

Posts: 11616 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
Not 100% sure, but I thought in Washington they found an infection on the 36th person they tested. I suspect many more people have had this and assumed it was a cold. It would be interesting to see how many people have antibodies.

Would not be surprised if this bug has been spreading here for months, not weeks.

I posted very early in the thread that I was sick with pneumonia and it hit incredibly hard and fast after weeks of little warning signs. They put me through two courses of antibiotics, including a shot and a ten day course of something I've never heard of before I started to get better.

I wonder two things:
1) Did I maybe have it?
2) If I didn't, and I did eventually end up catching it, what kind of odds am I looking at if I got pneumonia out of nowhere and was the only one sick in the house?

Do we have any kind of data on carriers that don't get infected, or is it far too early for any kind of information on that front?

Posts: 17625 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you missed his point. Many, many hotels, restaurants, and other businesses are franchises or mom and pops. This has been planned a year in advance, maybe more?
^^^^
I doubt that. I have run a small successful business for several decades. Hurricane Katrina, the nations worst natural disaster devastated the entire Coast. Several years later the GOM oil spill shut down tourism, last year the opening of the Bonnet Carrie Spillway shut down the seafood industry. It has been very hard, but I have survived with the help of others. The tourism industry here is huge and they have recovered.

My point which you perhaps missed is that extreme pessimism and hysteria have fueled the problem. I am quite familiar with the tourism industry as it is the main driver of the economy in my area.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t believe I’d want to risk being quarantined on a cruise ship for two weeks even if I were totally immune to the disease itself.
But good on the people who do and demonstrate they “ain’t skeert.” Wink

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47679 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fed quarantines U.S. dollars repatriated from Asia on coronavirus caution

https://www.reuters.com/articl...aution-idUSKBN20T1YT

The U.S. Federal Reserve has begun quarantining physical dollars that it repatriates from Asia before recirculating them in the U.S. financial system as a precautionary measure against spreading the virus, a Fed spokesperson told Reuters.

She said regional Fed banks that help manage the money supply will set aside shipments of dollars from Asia for seven to 10 days before processing and redistributing them to financial institutions. The policy, first reported by Reuters, was implemented on Feb. 21, the official said.

As the global reserve currency, U.S. dollars are the most widely distributed notes in the world with around $1.75 trillion worth of cash in circulation globally, according to the Fed. Much that is circulated overseas, particularly in Asia where the dollar is often stronger than local currencies.

It is also filthy. A 2014 study by researchers at New York University identified 3,000 types of bacteria on dollar bills due to how widely and frequently they change hands.

The U.S. central bank has not gone as far as its counterparts in China and Korea, which have ordered local currency notes to be disinfected with ultraviolet light or destroyed altogether. But Fed officials are in regular contact with the CDC and State Department regarding the spread of the virus and are prepared to add other regions to its quarantine list, the spokesperson said.

Posts: 13075 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
I’m scheduled for a cruise next week. Hopefully we aren’t quarantined on the ship! It’s the Bahamas so I think my chances are good it will be fine.

The Bahamas put out a statement that if you've been to Italy, S. Korea, or China in the past 20 days before going there, they won't let you in.

If you get a chance check out the Exumas, they are beautiful.
My neighbor was telling me last week he’s booked a cruise to Italy for 9 of his immediate family. I didn’t have the heart to discuss.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at the mortality rates as posted on the John Hopkins website and have noticed some interesting data points.

As of this writing with 101,782 cases the worldwide mortality rate is reported to be about 3.4%

A lot of people are commenting that the data coming out of China is not reliable so if you remove those data points the mortality rate drops to 2.0%

I don’t know where some medical “officials” are saying the rates are about 1-1.5% I haven’t seen any data to support it.

The US rate is actually considerably higher but I think that’s due to the relatively low sample number.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6471 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been looking at the mortality rates as posted on the John Hopkins website and have noticed some interesting data points.

As of this writing with 101,782 cases the worldwide mortality rate is reported to be about 3.4%

A lot of people are commenting that the data coming out of China is not reliable so if you remove those data points the mortality rate drops to 2.0%

I don’t know where some medical “officials” are saying the rates are about 1-1.5% I haven’t seen any data to support it.

The US rate is actually considerably higher but I think that’s due to the relatively low sample number.

As of now these numbers are hideously skewed.
Why? Rate = deaths / KNOWN CASES. Which in the US is someone that was so sick they felt the need to go to the doctor. What about the people that got sick, got better and went about their business? Nope, they aren't a known case. Pretty much the same world wide.

A HHS doc just came out with an expected rate of 0.1-1.0% is where this will wind up. Slightly more than the every year seasonal flu.

Posts: 1082 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
^^^

And if they’re not a known case how do they get counted?
I’m just trying to ascertain the methodology.

------------------
Eddie

Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
My friend and his wife left for China a little bit ago. I trained with him yesterday and told him I wanted one more roll before he came back and killed everyone.

Posts: 332 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Supposedly there are two strains of the virus. One is much milder than the other. First confirmed case in Indianapolis. None of the basketball tournaments in town to be cancelled.

Posts: 1465 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:

And also because most of the deaths were at that single retirement community in Washington.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I just heard that Dr. Anthony Fauci just published an article in the New England Journal of Medicine in which he states the mortality rate is less than 1%
I tried to find it but was unable to locate it.

------------------
Eddie

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just heard that Dr. Anthony Fauci just published an article in the New England Journal of Medicine in which he states the mortality rate is less than 1%
I tried to find it but was unable to locate it.

It was published about a week ago, I posted it in this thread then.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post