SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
IT departments aren't exactly a yardstick by which to measure the working from home crowd by. I have two friends who both own small businesses. Both of them have told me that when this Covid BS is over, 'all' of their employees are coming back in house, or the ones that refuse will be replaced. Apparently both gentlemen have had nothing but continual problems and complaints about employees being inaccessible and/or completely unprepared in dealing with clients, and both are pretty much over it already.

I would hardly call two of your small business owner buddies that don't know how to ride herd on remote employees a yardstick, would you? I'll bet you would Big Grin I wish them luck.

Posts: 7553 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
ZS - The "Tie me kangaroo down, sport" song, was written by a 'pommie' (prisoner of mother england).

Rolf Harris was from England.
His life of late, you can google that.
Doesn't belong here.

That song was inspired by the Belafonte's calypso songs.

The Jack-Ass Song is more appropriate!

Smile

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:
IT departments aren't exactly a yardstick by which to measure the working from home crowd by. I have two friends who both own small businesses. Both of them have told me that when this Covid BS is over, 'all' of their employees are coming back in house, or the ones that refuse will be replaced. Apparently both gentlemen have had nothing but continual problems and complaints about employees being inaccessible and/or completely unprepared in dealing with clients, and both are pretty much over it already.

I would hardly call two of your small business owner buddies that don't know how to ride herd on remote employees a yardstick, would you? I'll bet you would Big Grin I wish them luck.
Both of these guys are veterans of large IT companies who struck out on their own years ago and have been very successful in building companies that service multi-million dollar clients up and down the east coast. It's not their management abilities that's failing their companies, its undisciplined employees who have never worked in a remote capacity, and like many others, never should. It fascinates me that people think this transition to remote work is seamless and simple when many of these people have a hard enough time showing up on time for work everyday in their standard office environment, that's devoid of the myriad of distractions they now face at home.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Jack-Ass Song is more appropriate!

^^^^^
Thanks for the heads up.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remote work is well remote. Introverts and those that work with things love the concept. It has serious limitations when working with people and emotions. Imagine college kids listening to Nick Saban over Skype giving them a pep talk. At this point in time it is getting overhyped.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Working remotely is easier for some individuals than others. There are also some types of work that are more easily done remotely. Quite frankly, I was much more productive writing code in my home office than I ever was in a cube farm. Lots less distractions. Of course, my coding days were before kids, so there is that.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
What are all you guys’ state or local restrictions on indoor restaurant dining?

Here in Pennsylvania, our Dictator-Governor Tom Wolf has imposed 25% capacity on indoor dining and it’s beginning to really take its toll on places that can’t do outdoor dining. In an industry where filling every table and turning them 2,3 or more times a night is crucial to survival, this 25% business is death. I’m not sure what happens when it starts to get too cold to sit outside and eat, and this asshole has indicated he’s not changing it anytime soon.

Philadelphia has ZERO indoor dining right now and there’s a restaurant apocalypse happening, I think this city is going to lose 50-60% of their restaurants. Frown

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
fwiw:

Comcast in particular currently wishes to move most folks back inside as soon as it's definitely safe. The most recent company-wide email that was shared with me went out about a week ago now. Bear in mind, they have more than 120,000 employees across all divisions. Call Centers are but one bit of it all. Their HQ in Philly is a big building, far too expensive to keep empty too long. They'll be itching to refill it.

If pre-Covid something like 5% of all American workers could work from home (made up number), I'll be pleased to see that increase to 10% post-Covid, and will be estatic for anything better. Progress is progress.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I believe it is still totally shut down in the People’s Republic of Kalifornia.

Just got home from a trip to take son to college and take in a bit of Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Parks. It was interesting how different places were different.

CA - lots of signs, extremely varied compliance. People are tired of this shit. No indoor dining. Some local towns have used K-rail to block off parking areas of the street outside local restaurants so they can do outdoor dining.

Nevada - harsher signs, but allow indoor eating and somewhat less compliance.

Jackson Hole, WY - people seem to have drunk the coolaid. Masks everywhere, lots of no mask no service signs, people apparently afraid. Indoor dining allowed, not sure the tables were distanced, certainly not in some outside seating areas.

Bozeman, MT - Seems to be drinking the coolaid mostly. Indoor dining allowed, tables not too religiously distanced.

Alpine, WY - What is this mask bullshit? Wear one if you want, we won’t abuse you, but we ain’t buying that horseshit. Only ate at a friend’s house here, no idea what restaurant rules are.

Idaho - WTF is a mask? Why would you screw with that nonsense? Indoor dining allowed, tables blocked off for social distancing.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Harris County, Texas resident here.

After "the surge" (there wasn't any f---ing SURGE), that neophyte, moronic, wanna-be, woke-ass, inept, sophomoric, bitch Lena Hidalgo (Harris County "Judge"...I've explained the nonsense of that title previously) threw down her Dictatorial EDICT, and disappointingly Gov. Abbott fell for it, to reduce restaurant capacity back down to 50% and in another Dictatorial EDICT, customers now MUST wear a mask upon entering the establishment and keep it on until reaching their table [effing eyeroll...like this is some sort of mutant "SMART" virus. JSMH]. If you get up for ANY reason, such as go to the bathroom, you must re-mask. GMAFB!!!!!!

Stupidity. SHEER. STUPIDITY!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Just heard our old office manager died from COVID after a month on a ventilator. 56 years old with no real pre-existing conditions. It's sad.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8852 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Harris County, Texas resident here.
...restaurant capacity ...to 50% ... MUST wear a mask upon entering the establishment and keep it on until reaching their table... If you get up you must re-mask.
Generally the same in the North Dallas area. I have made a point not to mask until I am walking in, rip it off as sitting down and as soon as coming to the door threshold to leave.
3 months ago, I walked into a pizza place to pickup a pizza without a mask (unintentionally). Previously there was never another patron there. But that day several customers were gathered up waiting next to the door. They looked about as aghast as one can while wearing a mask. I looked up as I entered and said 'Oops almost forgot, security theater' as I unpocketed and donned my useless mask. I was still 6 feet or more away from them.

Apparently all of these humorless assholes were drunk on the koolaid. I wound up instantly glad it had happened.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7257 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Here in Ohio mask on to walk in. Off at the table.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What makes this bullshit mask order in Texas even worse is that it only ends when our cowardly Governor says it ends. So until his liberal friends tell him that it’s safe, we’re screwed. I’ve called and written his office numerous times but from what I’ve seen the fear mongers outnumber people like me 5 to 1. Abbott is dead to me now. I don’t give a rats ass about his supposed conservative views anymore. He can’t be voted out fast enough for me.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3536 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I asked an individual here running for a County Commission seat about the mask thing here in Orange County Florida. Oh she thought it was imperative to "stop the spread of the virus". I asked her if she was aware that people need only wear a mask into the restaurant and when leaving, but for the entire 30-45 minutes they and their families spent eating and interacting with restaurant staff and other diners, no mask was required because apparently the virus is not transmittable when you're seated. She said she knew that was the way the order was drafted, but that it was still very important. Then she asked me if I knew how I'd be voting this fall. My exact words to her (standing approximately 3 feet in front of her while not wearing a mask) was, "I'm not sure yet, but I know I'll be voting against you because you're simply to stupid to ever be allowed near any level of authority." Her response..."Well that was terribly rude." My quick response..."No, actually that was blunt. Wanna try for rude." She left me at that point much to my pleasure. We are in a severe drought when it comes to thinking, rational, people running for office.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:

Both of these guys are veterans of large IT companies who struck out on their own years ago and have been very successful in building companies that service multi-million dollar clients up and down the east coast. It's not their management abilities that's failing their companies, its undisciplined employees who have never worked in a remote capacity, and like many others, never should. It fascinates me that people think this transition to remote work is seamless and simple when many of these people have a hard enough time showing up on time for work everyday in their standard office environment, that's devoid of the myriad of distractions they now face at home.

I just got done with an all-nighter-dayer with an 30 member work from home team for a web site release (6 month project). It was all hands on deck.
Guaranteed nobody was slouching or unreachable for the duration. GAUREN.FUCKING.TEED. Oh, we were under budget and ahead of schedule. Either I am a genius at hiring a good IT team (very unlikely) or your buddies don't know as much as you put on (very likely). I wish your buddies good luck with their office reoccupation!

We're not going back to an office when this Covid thing is resolved. Too expensive and restrictive.

Posts: 7553 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OH MY GOD!! OHMYGOD!!!!

NC State moves classes online after off-campus parties spread COVID-19

I can see the future. All these boys and girls are going to grow up harboring unprocessed anger because they didn't get enough of this:

Sofa King Stupid Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Brilliant

Posts: 107598 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted August 21, 2020 05:32 PM Hide Post
OH MY GOD!! OHMYGOD!!!!

NC State moves classes online after off-campus parties spread COVID-19

UNC-Chapel Hill (also known as UNC-Cheater Hill") did that a few days ago and other colleges here have also done that. The stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Here in PA I saw some outraged headlines about Penn State students being caught at large parties, in “violation of safety protocols” if that wasn’t the most dystopian thing you’ve heard yet. Roll Eyes

It’s a fucking college, people! Not a monastery! Big Grin

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There won't be any more college parties now, right.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post