SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12857 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Some perspective:

COVID-19: Approximately 2,770 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 26, 2020.
Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

Maybe the media is paying attention to the wrong thing.

This is my take on it as well.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37136 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It matters to some people and one of the reasons why investors get jittery. (The Wall Street Journal)

========================================

“U.S. Companies in China Warn 2020 Revenue Could Halve If Coronavirus Persists

Some American companies say they could lose as much as half their annual revenue from China if the coronavirus epidemic extends through the summer, as businesses struggle to get boots back on the ground amid travel restrictions and shortages of basic protective gear.

Nearly half of U.S. companies in China said they expect revenue to decrease this year if business can’t return to normal by the end of April, according to a survey conducted Feb. 17 to 20 by the American Chamber of Commerce in China, or AmCham, to which 169 member companies responded. One fifth of respondents said 2020 revenue from China would decline more than 50% if the epidemic continues through Aug. 30.

Work-from-home policies had been implemented by 94% of the responding companies, but businesses that require workers on-site said travel restrictions had created burdensome delays.

Separately, in a joint survey by the European Union Chamber of Commerce in China and the German Chamber of Commerce released Thursday, 90% of companies reported that the virus has had a medium to high impact on their business.

“Everybody is impacted,” said Dr. Stephan Woellenstein, chairman of the German Chamber of Commerce in North China. “There is literally no one who says it isn’t impacting me at all.”

Link

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47501 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It bothers me that every time I see someone with a a mask on, their nose is poking out, or it is not on their face properly. Might as well not have it on. We bought masks, gloves, and a uv light when we first saw this on the news. Because we have little ones, if it does hit hard, we will not be going out. Only 1 adult will go out with a mask and gloves. Anything coming in will be sterilized with uv or an ozone generator.We could not get children sized masks, and cant rely on children wearing masks properly. We are very far from that level of lockdown though. Hopefully it won't get that bad.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Hearing that some of the best medical folks in the state propose this for when/if it gets here:
quote:

I looked at our cupboards and went out yesterday and backfilled, so that in the event we got in-house quarantined, we'd be in OK shape.

Stores are out of the useful masks and when we asked, our pharmacy said their distributors were out, too. Tactically, what that means (having no masks) is that if it hits our area, we just won't go out for non-emergent stuff.

Posts: 15077 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the hype on this is going to cause way more harm than the actual friggin disease. Couple that with the almost giddy news coverage it is getting. The media literally is playing on the economic downturn this will cause (manufactured hype or not) benefitting the Democrats. Actually watched the talking heads on Bloomberg News dance around this point this very morning.

It is the equivalent of listening to Bill Maher wishing for bad news for political gain.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The hysteria will absolutely cause more pain and suffering than the actual virus.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30650 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
The hysteria will absolutely cause more pain and suffering than the actual virus.

Agreed

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Agreed

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I agree, and it’s reason enough to prepare for it and simply stay home as much as one can.

Posts: 17369 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The mask is not to PROTECT you from GETTING this virus, it's to stop YOU from blasting others with your snot and coughs and giving it to THEM.

Am I wrong here? Isn't this the whole concept of a face mask for this kind of thing?

Posts: 34152 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
A buddy and I were discussing the irrational purchases that some folks seem to be making in response to this. Case in point, go check Amazon for emergency preparedness meal kits (i.e. freeze dried kits). None to be found. Mountain House’s website literally says please stop calling us.

Not that having this stuff on-hand isn’t a bad plan for a variety of reasons (I’ve long had several 14-day kits stashed away) but the overnight run on these and other similar items is just dumb.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The mask is not to PROTECT you from GETTING this virus, it's to stop YOU from blasting others with your snot and coughs and giving it to THEM.

Am I wrong here? Isn't this the whole concept of a face mask for this kind of thing?

Answering sequentially: Yes. And no. The purpose of a mask is to prevent you inhaling larger aerosolized droplets with viruses riding on them, a known method of transmission.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Not that having this stuff on-hand isn’t a bad plan for a variety of reasons (I’ve long had several 14-day kits stashed away) but the overnight run on these and other similar items is just dumb.

True. It's good to have some level of emergency supply however the hysteria that can be generated can be a head-shaker. You wanna ask these people what do they not have at home? Its like people running out to buy a rain jacket during the first storm...what they hell have you been using before?

Here in the US, we're in a pretty good situation. Our population density outside of a handful of cities is a lot less than most countries in the world. The homes/living spaces we live in are larger we're spread out, we're not necessarily on top of each other.
We have pantry spaces in our homes so, we're able to store more items, American's have this insane reaction that an empty space needs to be filled, so cans and bags of foodstuffs. Roll Eyes
Lastly, our refrigerators/freezers are larger, ergo, we have more perishables at home, we don't go to the market everyday. In China, Middle East and other countries (Italy), going to the market is a daily activity. Keeping foodstuff in the fridge or, meals in the freezer just isn't practiced, hence why the village market is the central nexus for the community.

Just cover your mouth if you sneeze/cough and clean your hands afterwards before touching anything.

Posts: 14835 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

That's what "they" say, but you'll notice that every medical worker in every video and photo you see will be wearing one.

So there's a bit of a disconnect between what "they" recommend and what "they" are doing.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patient who hadn't traveled, contracted the virus and was moved from one hospital to another. Wonder if this person was anywhere around Napa hospital or, Travis AFB where other positives/travelers from hot zones came from...
Coronavirus Patient and Precautions at UC Davis Medical Center
quote:
Today we learned a patient we are treating here at UC Davis Medical Center for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is being investigated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as possibly the first patient to have received the infection from exposure in the community.

This patient was transferred to us from another Northern California hospital. Since the patient arrived with a suspected viral infection, our care teams have been taking the proper infection prevention (contact droplet) precautions during the patient’s stay.

Upon admission, our team asked public health officials if this case could be COVID-19. We requested COVID-19 testing by the CDC, since neither Sacramento County nor the California Department of Public Health is doing testing for coronavirus at this time. Since the patient did not fit the existing CDC criteria for COVID-19, a test was not immediately administered. UC Davis Health does not control the testing process.

Sunday (Feb. 23), the CDC ordered COVID-19 testing of the patient, and the patient was put on airborne precautions and strict contact precautions, because of our concerns about the patient’s condition. Today the CDC confirmed the patient’s test was positive.

This is not the first COVID-19 patient we have treated, and because of the precautions we have had in place since this patient’s arrival, we believe there has been minimal potential for exposure here at UC Davis Medical Center.

Posts: 14835 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Patient who hadn't traveled, contracted the virus and was moved from one hospital to another. Wonder if this person was anywhere around Napa hospital or, Travis AFB where other positives/travelers from hot zones came from...
Coronavirus Patient and Precautions at UC Davis Medical Center
quote:
Today we learned a patient we are treating here at UC Davis Medical Center for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is being investigated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as possibly the first patient to have received the infection from exposure in the community.

This patient was transferred to us from another Northern California hospital. Since the patient arrived with a suspected viral infection, our care teams have been taking the proper infection prevention (contact droplet) precautions during the patient’s stay.

Upon admission, our team asked public health officials if this case could be COVID-19. We requested COVID-19 testing by the CDC, since neither Sacramento County nor the California Department of Public Health is doing testing for coronavirus at this time. Since the patient did not fit the existing CDC criteria for COVID-19, a test was not immediately administered. UC Davis Health does not control the testing process.

Sunday (Feb. 23), the CDC ordered COVID-19 testing of the patient, and the patient was put on airborne precautions and strict contact precautions, because of our concerns about the patient’s condition. Today the CDC confirmed the patient’s test was positive.

This is not the first COVID-19 patient we have treated, and because of the precautions we have had in place since this patient’s arrival, we believe there has been minimal potential for exposure here at UC Davis Medical Center.

The surprising thing is that, so far, no healthcare workers have tested positive in the US, as the group that has had the most contact with these patients. Possibly (probably) some of the reasons are WNL (We Never Looked), and/or it's early, and it's just a matter of time, but encouraging because contact precautions do seem to be effective. Which means that simple methods may be easily tranferable to communities.

Right now, it appears that the protocol for (likely) a 100% guarantee of not contracting COVID-19 are 1) Wash your hands, 2) Don't have contact with other humans. Or bats. At least 10 or 15 feet from same, and 3) Don't eat or drink from unsealed or unidentified sources. With a treatment protocol that's effective for those already infected (pending), that's actually pretty encouraging, and public health resources can work with that in the event of a severe outbreak, dialing up or down.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Some perspective:

COVID-19: Approximately 2,770 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 26, 2020.
Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

Maybe the media is paying attention to the wrong thing.

I'm taking my family to Hawaii in two weeks and my wife is pretty worried about the virus. I keep getting a little nervous myself, but I keep reminding myself of the above.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Right now, it appears that the protocol for (likely) a 100% guarantee of not contracting COVID-19 are 1) Wash your hands,

Minimum of twenty (20) seconds, with soap and warm water.

quote:
2) Don't have contact with other humans. Or bats. At least 10 or 15 feet from same,

The Dutch health authorities are suggesting two (2) meters, which is seven (7) feet.

quote:
and 3) Don't eat or drink from unsealed or unidentified sources.

I'd think that a Bad Idea in any event.

Also: Keep hands away from face. That's harder than it seems. When I started consciously doing that, several influenza outbreaks ago, I regularly caught myself violating that part of the protocol.

That's one of the reported advantages of a face mask. You'll find out real quick how often you unconsciously touch your face when your hands run into the mask, instead.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Right now, it appears that the protocol for (likely) a 100% guarantee of not contracting COVID-19 are 1) Wash your hands,

Minimum of twenty (20) seconds, with soap and warm water

Sing the "Happy Birthday" song twice. Smile