SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The thing that is really doing Whitmer in is her draconian policies have forced millions to unemployment, yet that system has failed and many can't even connect much less file a claim.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Michigan is a huge swing state. The DNC now knows with her on the ticket they don't stand a chance at taking Michigan in November. She over played her hand times ten. Now she knows it and she's pissed and going to take it out on the people of Michigan.

Had she played her cards right she had a good chance at being the VP pick I think. Hopefully the people of Michigan will choose more wisely next time.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Related to post on the previous page about testing the homeless and finding the majority to be asymptomatic - in all the articles I've read about the Tyson & Smithfield plants being shut down due to large numbers of employees testing positive - I don't recall any of them mentioning what % or number of employees were asymptomatic. Seems like a key reference point to include if they wanted to tell the entire story.

Posts: 247 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't recall any of them mentioning what % or number of employees were asymptomatic. Seems like a key reference point to include if they wanted to tell the entire story.

That information is missing in a lot of reports because if a large percentage are not actually ill, it derails their entire argument for their actions.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
quote:
I don't recall any of them mentioning what % or number of employees were asymptomatic. Seems like a key reference point to include if they wanted to tell the entire story.

That information is missing in a lot of reports because if a large percentage are not actually ill, it derails their entire argument for their actions.

Because that's exactly the information people need to feel safe resuming life.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
It's because the homeless population isn't on average over 75 and they don't normally have 100 other things wrong with them. This shit is impacting a very specific group of people. It's the reason all of those bank tellers, grocery store clerks, and other POS employees aren't dying. They don't fit the mold....

The average age of those dying from the Wuhan virus is around 84 which is well above the average life expectancy of Americans.

The fact that we now as a result have tens of millions of able bodied working age men and women sitting on their asses at home doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
The battle for Michigan is heating up:

Michigan House Rejects Lockdown Extension, Votes To Sue Gov. Whitmer Instead
Ya get the idea that Whitmer's shot at VP has flown right out the window. I'm thinking her future as governor is likely very questionable at this point as well.

I sure as hell hope so!

She wasn't doing half-bad at first. Fairly moderate measures. Then, as the hospital case loads and deaths were ramping-up exponentially, she tightened the screws. Ok, I could grudgingly go along with that. (Though prohibiting landscapers and grass crews never made a lick of sense to me at all.) Then she went over the top, and now she's doubling-down.

Michigan now has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. Depending upon whom you believe, it's somewhere between 20% and 30%! And people can't even get through to file claims, much less collect.

Snyder, our last Governor, is probably sitting back saying "Do you miss me, yet?"

Oh, and I went to restock the beer fridge, yesterday. Loaded the returns into the Jeep, after checking the store's web site for information on can and bottle returns and seeing nothing. Turned out they're not accepting returns. But they're damn sure still collecting the deposit, you can bet your bottom dime on that

Side rant: On my way to purchase a replacement sprinkler head, a bag of seed, and a couple bags of fertilizer the other day, I stopped at three different pharmacies to try to buy either hand sanitizer or 90% alcohol. Nope. JFC on a pogo stick! Just how much hand sanitizer and alcohol can people buy, anyway?

quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Hopefully the people of Michigan will choose more wisely next time.

I hope so, but most voters are pretty shallow. For all her faults, Gretchen Whitmer is very attractive and she comes across as very sincere and very likable. And she knows how to use those assets to her advantage.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
The other thing in regards to Michigan voters is it's much like Minnesota. The metro liberal left cities pretty much chose for the rest of us.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Michigan isn't the only shit show state. Here in Maryland the unemployment website has been a disaster as well. Still nothing for self-employed. Still nothing for nearly everyone I know. I have yet to talk to anyone that has received any money and unfortunately I know a lot of people are who recently unemployed.

Almost 2 weeks ago, our "God"vernor - Lockdown Larry Hogan - bought these kits from South Korea, made a huge production out of it, and not one has been used to date. In fact, the Washington Post ran an article that said the kits were incomplete and they had no idea when they would be able to use them. Meanwhile, domestic manufacturers could have provided the same kits for 20-30 percent less than what he paid. It was all a big ploy to make Trump look bad.

But the liberals in this state think he is doing a great job. It's mind-boggling.

It's really incredible how these situations expose people.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
How much has anyone thought about how all this is going to get paid for. I know most think money falls from the sky or grows on trees. But it does not.

Take a minute and just think about it.

Unemployment, stimulus, pp, is just the tip of the iceberg.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Happy MayDay. I was surprised that Asthma and COPD hasn't been as big a factor. Metabolic health and oxidative stress are the main culprits and might be why it's been so difficult to predict outcomes.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
It's odd that the 'cold and flu season' came and went with little fanfare.

I hope CA does a thorough investigation into newsom's purchase of one billion dollars of chinese made ppe...without legislative approval! Even members of his own party are calling for an investigation of the purchase from a well known chinese producer of defective products.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many in China's government are taking orders from the USA to disrupt and harm their country. China sure seems to have a lot of our politicians doing just that to us.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
So now we find out that Obama gave that ChiCom lab a grant in 2015......it is like the Steele Dossier all over again.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certain food type rationing is starting - at least at Costco and Chicken products. No fresh Chicken breast to be had. Was only allowed 2 Kirkland canned Chicken 6-packs. I asked about potato chips and I could buy all I wanted it seem (not for me - just a wise ass question.)

I really feel like I'm in the DDR. Will have social distancing commissars next week at work - will be interesting (temp checks, limited and specific paths to follow - one way hall ways, only 2 people per elevator ride, yada yada, yada).

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Any one here remember the Hong Kong Flue of 1969. 1,000,000 deaths world wide and around 100,000 in the US.

I lived in Miami then and I don't remember any Media generated panic, no small businesses closed and no orders to stay at home.

Why all the panic this time around.

Yeah, I remember but I was stationed at Ft. Ord at the time and they were more worried about a return of the meningitis outbreak that occurred earlier on the post than the flu. I was a young buck at the time and never gave it a thought.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
It's odd that the 'cold and flu season' came and went with little fanfare.

Some of that is just that the flu is familiar and so not very newsworthy.

The flu season this year started unusually quickly, involved an unusual combination of strains of flu viruses, and had an unusually high rate of pediatric hospitalization. That was widely known and discussed in the medical community but didn't get a lot of air time.

https://www.livescience.com/fl...d-h1n1-increase.html

If you look at the chart in that article (which is percent of doctor visits which were for "influenza-like-illnesses"), there was a very high peak around week 52 (end of December), then a drop, then a second peak. From what I heard at the time, there was concern in the medical community about the level of strain that could be put on the healthcare system just from flu cases this year. Fortunately that abrupt initial rise in cases dropped just as abruptly rather than following a more typical curve.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is a full court press attack on our president and way of life by the left, for starters.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Any one here remember the Hong Kong Flue of 1969. 1,000,000 deaths world wide and around 100,000 in the US.

I lived in Miami then and I don't remember any Media generated panic, no small businesses closed and no orders to stay at home.

Yeah, I remember but I was stationed at Ft. Ord at the time and they were more worried about a return of the meningitis outbreak that occurred earlier on the post than the flu. I was a young buck at the time and never gave it a thought.

Jim

It was before my time but, I recall hearing stories of how Travis AFB up in Fairfield, was one of the quarantine centers as it was an air-hub for troops returning from Vietnam/East Asia.

Show host John Batchelor has spoken about it as he contracted the HK Flu back in the late 60's and has been relating his experience about it on his show.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Cuomo is keeping NY schools closed the remainder of the academic year. NY Schools Closed Remainder of Academic Year

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post