SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Why I decided to start wearing a mask at the grocery store—and how many others are now?

My mife has chronic bronchitis/bronchialitus. One son has asthma. An aunt has COPD. And I have diabetes. So I am not reassured when told that most deaths are attributable to age and comorbidities. I wear a mask.

I wasn't happy about it but yesterday my wife and I went to a big box store. We both wore N95 masks and nitrile gloves. I forgot the shooting glasses. She didn't touch anything the entire time we were there. She would point to what she wanted. She carried the money handed it to me and I paid. I loaded the back of the pickup.
She opened the door and gave me a squirt of the flu goo so I could sterilize gloves before removing them. Shot of flu goo. Remove masks without touching. More goo and then head home.

Once home, non-perishables go in garage to rest for what is it now 17 days I think. Fruit gets a bath in diluted bleach then rinsed. Frozen meat boxes get sprayed with dilute bleach, contents removed and taken too freezer.

I wash hands again, throw clothes in washer on sterilize, and take a shower.

100% foolproof? No. But I did what I could.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17568 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
my wife and I

If both are at risk and concerned why in the world would you both go and expose yourself? Realize in close home quarters may not matter ultimately, but every reduction in odds for one of you seems like it makes sense?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Also from that article: "Experts have also warned against making direct comparisons between countries due to discrepancies in testing."

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Italy may be misreporting their death rate:

quote:

The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus.

Why have so many coronavirus patients died in Italy? The country's high death toll is due to an ageing population, overstretched health system and the way fatalities are reported

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus.

I saw that Italy was revising down their reported deaths. I was wondering how many had risen from the dead.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now we get to see what COVID-19 does in a nation with poor air quality, poor medical care (generally), and poor sanitation.
Re India:
You mean that's not, to some extent, China?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6373 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
several posters have noted dense living conditions in NY City.

This article drives that home

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0...-crowds-density.html

New York has tried to slow the spread of the coronavirus by closing its schools, shutting down its nonessential businesses and urging its residents to stay home almost around the clock. But it faces a distinct obstacle in trying to stem new cases: its cheek-by-jowl density.

New York is far more crowded than any other major city in the United States. It has 28,000 residents per square mile, while San Francisco, the next most jammed city, has 17,000, according to data from the U.S. Census Bureau.

All of those people, in such a small space, appear to have helped the virus spread rapidly through packed subway trains, busy playgrounds and hivelike apartment buildings, forming ever-widening circles of infections and making New York the nation’s epicenter of the outbreak.

“Density is really an enemy in a situation like this,” said Dr. Steven Goodman, an epidemiologist at Stanford University. “With large population centers, where people are interacting with more people all the time, that’s where it’s going to spread the fastest.”

On an average workday, more than 5 million people jostle onto the city’s subway trains

Far more people live in cramped public housing units in New York — 400,000 — than in any other city. And nearly 40 million people visit Times Square every year, making it one of the busiest tourist attractions in the world.

New York City is now among the worst hot spots in the world

initial measures to control the spread of the virus were not working, especially in New York City, where people had been gathering in parks over the weekend and not staying far enough away from each other.

Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida said on Monday that he would sign an executive order directing the state’s surgeon general to require anyone flying to the state from New York or New Jersey to observe a mandatory 14-day quarantine.

Many coronavirus cases in Florida, especially in counties that include Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach, have been tied to New York, and a recent uptick in travel from the region suggested New Yorkers were flying to Florida to flee restrictions.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Then again, as for what other people do or don’t do, I saw a woman take a disinfecting wipe from the dispenser at a store, pick up the handle of a hand basket with her bare hands, and then carefully wipe it down.

If she also wiped her hands with the thing, she was probably GTG.

Yes, but she didn’t wipe her hands (and the wipes at our store specifically say they’re not for personal sanitation). It was get the wipe, pick up the basket by the handle, wipe the handle, discard the wipe. My point was that if the handle was contaminated, she got that when she picked it up. And I am of course assuming that she didn’t follow the other proper measures after I saw her. She might have avoided touching her face, etc., throughout her visit and then cleaned up properly after shopping.

I just thought it odd that she didn't wipe the handle before touching it with her hand.

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47719 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
my wife and I

If both are at risk and concerned why in the world would you both go and expose yourself? Realize in close home quarters may not matter ultimately, but every reduction in odds for one of you seems like it makes sense?

It was a calculated risk. Since we sleep, eat and live together the chance of spread between us would be high. By shopping together we were able to work as a team. One handling things possibly contaminated. One handling things tat wren't. And both looking out for each other.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17568 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just thought it odd that she didn't wipe the handle before touching it with her hand.

As odd as it may sound to you and me: Some (?) people just don't grasp how things work. Even things as simple as this. No, I don't understand how they can fail to understand it, either, but here we are.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Then again, as for what other people do or don’t do, I saw a woman take a disinfecting wipe from the dispenser at a store, pick up the handle of a hand basket with her bare hands, and then carefully wipe it down.

If she also wiped her hands with the thing, she was probably GTG.

Yes, but she didn’t wipe her hands (and the wipes at our store specifically say they’re not for personal sanitation). It was get the wipe, pick up the basket by the handle, wipe the handle, discard the wipe. My point was that if the handle was contaminated, she got that when she picked it up. And I am of course assuming that she didn’t follow the other proper measures after I saw her. She might have avoided touching her face, etc., throughout her visit and then cleaned up properly after shopping.

It will probably be SOP when this is over.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5938 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Italy’s rate of new cases seems to be trending downward. This is usually the first sign of flattening. A week of this would indicate a real trend downward.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Italy’s rate of new cases seems to be trending downward. This is usually the first sign of flattening. A week of this would indicate a real trend downward.

That would be good news. Let's hope this is the case.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Retards Decide That Fish Tank Cleaner Is a Useful and Safe Drug for Pre-Emptively Treating Coronavirus; Media Blames Trump

This is what they ingested. Notice it says NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION, but the media is trying to spin this as saying "Trump is telling the public it's ok to eat fish tank cleaner"

I knew this was going to happen. Fools everywhere.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16452 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^Chubbyemu will probably have a video on this soon

Posts: 3601 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Death toll in Italy is likely correct, but I read an article that said that possibly only 1 of every 10 cases in Italy is getting diagnosed, which, if true would make the death rate artificially higher.

But Italy does have Europe's oldest population, 23% of people are over 65 IIRC.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Italy may be misreporting their death rate:

quote:

Why have so many coronavirus patients died in Italy? The country's high death toll is due to an ageing population, overstretched health system and the way fatalities are reported

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As further evidence of the stupidity so prevalent now....I was at a local grocers picking up just a few items today. At the checkout I went to hand the cashier the money and was told we had to put money on the counter, then she picked it up....made change and gave it back by again placing it on the counter for me. When I pointed out to her that this was total stupidity because we both still handled the money anyway she just stood there with a stupid look on her face before the light bulb came on and agreed it was stupid, and not any real precaution. Then she said that is just what the managers said to do. People have lost their damn minds!

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Why I decided to start wearing a mask at the grocery store—and how many others are now?

My mife has chronic bronchitis/bronchialitus. One son has asthma. An aunt has COPD. And I have diabetes. So I am not reassured when told that most deaths are attributable to age and comorbidities. I wear a mask.

I wasn't happy about it but yesterday my wife and I went to a big box store. We both wore N95 masks and nitrile gloves. I forgot the shooting glasses. She didn't touch anything the entire time we were there. She would point to what she wanted. She carried the money handed it to me and I paid. I loaded the back of the pickup.
She opened the door and gave me a squirt of the flu goo so I could sterilize gloves before removing them. Shot of flu goo. Remove masks without touching. More goo and then head home.

Once home, non-perishables go in garage to rest for what is it now 17 days I think. Fruit gets a bath in diluted bleach then rinsed. Frozen meat boxes get sprayed with dilute bleach, contents removed and taken too freezer.

I wash hands again, throw clothes in washer on sterilize, and take a shower.

100% foolproof? No. But I did what I could.

You can also spray down your non perishables with Lysol, wait 90 seconds, and store/shelf them. That's what I have my MIL doing, who has similar comorbidities.

Stay well.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida said on Monday that he would sign an executive order directing the state’s surgeon general to require anyone flying to the state from New York or New Jersey to observe a mandatory 14-day quarantine.

Many coronavirus cases in Florida, especially in counties that include Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach, have been tied to New York, and a recent uptick in travel from the region suggested New Yorkers were flying to Florida to flee restrictions.

Just ban them from coming here at all,..

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
A lot of the problem with masks and other PPE is hospitals switched to the JIT (Just in Time) system of ordering supplies. It allows just 3 days of supplies to be kept on hand. Hospital administrators embraced this system 25 yrs ago+/- . All supplies, towels, toothpaste, everything in order to streamline their budget.
It’s used to be hospital storerooms would have plenty of supplies. A lot of hospitals were independent of each other. Now it’s groups of hospitals lumped together under the same brand all hooked to the JIT system.
Without a catastrophe things were good, but now not so much.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
As further evidence of the stupidity so prevalent now....I was at a local grocers picking up just a few items today. At the checkout I went to hand the cashier the money and was told we had to put money on the counter, then she picked it up....made change and gave it back by again placing it on the counter for me. When I pointed out to her that this was total stupidity because we both still handled the money anyway she just stood there with a stupid look on her face before the light bulb came on and agreed it was stupid, and not any real precaution. Then she said that is just what the managers said to do. People have lost their damn minds!
We've had payment threads on here before, and my suggestion to everyone who has it setup, is to use Google Pay, Samsung Pay, or Apple Pay at checkout and completely avoid any exchanges with the cashiers. Oh, and when she/he asks if you want your receipt, the answer is, "No thank you".

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post