SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
The N95 masks will filter out particles 3 microns and larger.......the estimate of the corona virus is between 1 to 2 microns .... so, there’s that

Yes, but the virus largely vectors on particulate matter much larger than 3 microns. So it will work, if you follow the entire protocol (good seal, not touching under the mask, timely replacement, etc.).

Yup. As of now, it requires water droplets to carry it to be transferred through the air. The eyes are another matter from what I’ve heard. The CDC says it’s not a “main@ way it can be spread but that implies it’s possible. More likely from rubbing I suspect.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15712 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The N95 masks will filter out particles 3 microns and larger.......the estimate of the corona virus is between 1 to 2 microns .... so, there’s that

Yes, but the virus largely vectors on particulate matter much larger than 3 microns. So it will work, if you follow the entire protocol (good seal, not touching under the mask, timely replacement, etc.).

Good to know....I wonder if the masses are wearing properly? My guess in no. We fit test both our SCBA and N95 masks annually by OSHA standards (law) and I know from experience, if that N95 mask isn’t fitted and worn correctly, you fail the fit test miserably.

Posts: 3132 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Are you guys serious about walking around wearing a respirator?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30671 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:

Absolutely not Balze.....I’ll only wear it in close proximity to someone sick and suspected of an airborne illness....my employment puts me in that situation daily
I’m not saying the general public should be running around in those masks to go to the grocery store

Posts: 3132 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

Walking around? Are you insane, man? There's a deadly virus on every street corner!

No, I just happen to own a respirator already with higher rated P95 filters, and understand how they work. Do I think it will come to actually wearing it? Probably not, although it's nice to know that I can if things actually do go very bad.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16525 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Just my Bane mask. But that’s normal me though.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
N. California has our first unsourced infected person.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:

I saw that, too. The CDC isn't saying where in No Cal. You'd think that if it were anywhere but the Bay Area, they'd just say so. It wouldn't even be our first case; there are 9 cases already.

UPDATE: patient is in Solano County, SF Bay Area

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16525 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I saw that, too. The CDC isn't saying where in No Cal. You'd think that if it were anywhere but the Bay Area, they'd just say so. It wouldn't even be our first case; there are 9 cases already.

Napa's hospital already has two cases, they were brought over from the group that has been quarantined at nearby Travis AFB. Curious why they didn't move them to UC Davis' medical facility instead as they've got a lot more resources.

Posts: 14841 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Considering the Zappa. Soft no on the toothbrush Wink

https://kdvr.com/news/the-cdc-...venting-coronavirus/

Posts: 3561 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Glad to see Trump attempting to get out in front of this . Read an article today that had Harvard med epidemiologist thinking that the U.S. will see and infection rate greater than 40%.

Could be correct, but obviously at this stage no one knows. The annual incidence of influenza in the US is 3-12% in a normal year across demographics, and this virus is more virulent (so far), but my guess is that's probably high. I would estimate more on the order of 20-25% in the US (for the first year), but I have no more accurate data than Dr. Lipsitch, and Harvard is communicating regularly with Chinese scientists so his estimate is just as valid. I believe Marc has said he thinks as much as 70% exposure eventually, but he's talking globally, and over time. I'd also point out that the President was correct tonight - in the US, as of right now (check the time) , there are 15 patients, on the ground, within our borders, who have confirmed active COVID-19. Fifteen. More have transitioned through, but that's a good thing for Mr. Trump to have highlighted. Fifteen. And zero deaths. Proud of our President.

With all of the above, with the known ease of transmission of this virus (and the mechanism of transmission), it's not inconceivable that ultimately every human on the planet will have been exposed. Most will have minimal or no symptoms. And very probably, some will be immune. A vaccine, as noted, is on the way, and will likely be effective in the second, third or fourth wave of the virus, until and if it turns into something else, and then we start again. Nature of the -very, very small - beast, and all of its kin. Possibly - likely - the new normal.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Now this is spooky weird.

The Eyes of Darkness by Dean Koontz from 1981 mentioning a Wuhan-400 organism created in a Chinese bio-warfare lab which later causes some sort of pandemic.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16355 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Now this is spooky weird.

The Eyes of Darkness by Dean Koontz from 1981 mentioning a Wuhan-400 organism created in a Chinese bio-warfare lab which later causes some sort of pandemic.

Typical Dean, just trying to sell more books. What a fucking rascal.

Posts: 325 | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Glad to see Trump attempting to get out in front of this . Read an article today that had Harvard med epidemiologist thinking that the U.S. will see and infection rate greater than 40%.

That is probably going to be pretty accurate in big cities with the 14 day incubation period. Someone gets on a plane and infects 1/4 of the plane going into JFK, they use mass transit to get to work and spread it through the city, and suddenly people commuting from the surrounding states are taking it home. Some people are selfish, some are out of PTO, and some people are in debt with families, but a lot of people in this country go to work sick. It doesn't scare me, but I'm not going to be shocked if I get it.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good to know....I wonder if the masses are wearing properly? My guess in no. We fit test both our SCBA and N95 masks annually by OSHA standards (law) and I know from experience, if that N95 mask isn’t fitted and worn correctly, you fail the fit test miserably.

Yep, almost 100% are worn improperly, meaning the mask is simply not perfectly fitted to the face of the wearer. If you get airflow past the edge of the mask, it isn't doing a thing to protect you.

To further compound the issue, only 50% of wearers follow correct protocol regarding how to use filter masks (frequent replacement, removing carefully, not touching your face under the mask when wearing, etc.).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
President Trump is about to have his primetime News Conference on this virus.

Actually, here he goes.

Hmmm... ABC didn't interrupt their "news" to carry it.
Neither did our local CBS affiliate.

Seriously? The President is addressing what many fear will be a life changing Pandemic, and the media ignores it?

The stock market has not ignored it.

This is from someone high up the food chain when it comes to finance:

"Don't even think about investing right now. We could face a mild set back or we could face a worldwide economic nightmare. If China has 30 more days of shut down effectively, then every American business will be hurt significantly. Automakers won't have parts. Retailers won't have items to sell. Even with opening, the typical people who go to monitor quality won't be there and it may be a big problem. I would think in a health crisis, quality would be a major problem.

Disney is hurting with two parks shut down. The cruise industry is suffering. Airlines are suffering deep losses. The Japan Olympics are in danger of cancellation. Apple, Dell, HP are extremely worried and now Samsung is too. How do you see Costco, Best Buy, and others handling television and computer shortages? Thing is that right now no one knows.

While this is many times greater than Ebola was there's another huge difference and that was no economy depended on Africa. "

Posts: 21345 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Some perspective:

COVID-19: Approximately 2,770 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 26, 2020.
Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

Maybe the media is paying attention to the wrong thing.

Posts: 4014 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
That's all true, but remember that the regular flu is already on the downhill side. Flu season will continue through March and April and wind down. The coronavirus started on the last day of 2019, and is still early in ramp-up. Combine that with the unusually long infectious incubation period, and you could have a pandemic that is geometrically worse than the regular flu once it really gets going.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's all true, but remember that the regular flu is already on the downhill side. Flu season will continue through March and April and wind down. The coronavirus started on the last day of 2019, and is still early in ramp-up. Combine that with the unusually long infectious incubation period, and you could have a pandemic that is geometrically worse than the regular flu once it really gets going.

And this new strain could continue to be geometrically less, particularly once the warm weather hits. The original SARS strain (several years back) subsided once May hit, which is genetically the most similar.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
At this juncture the biggest problem is simply all the unknowns of this disease. There's evidence supporting downward pressure as the warm weather sets in, but there's also evidence (Singapore) that it won't matter.

Like many things a calm logical approach tempered with basic scientific objectivity is the only reasonable approach. Until we know more, we simply must consider all the angles. Nothing is off the table quite yet.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."