SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

Just another scare tactic.

There's a thing called cold storage. A two week kill shutdown is a small bump in the road.
There's not a meat shortage.

That was my take. And we're talking processed meat, right?

I'm assuming my local butcher and grocery store meat counter will still have plenty of beef, no?

And on a completely unrelated note to that, I have an appointment with the Periodontist tomorrow. I'm still out of town but assumed that they would be canceling appointments. Before I could call today, they called me to confirm the appointment. That was a pleasant surprise that they're still doing office visits. Anyway, I rebooked for next week.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

I'm assuming my local butcher and grocery store meat counter will still have plenty of beef, no?

Yes, processed meat.

The problem coming with all the hype over a shortage is, people are going to start hoarding meat, which will make a shortage look real.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sick and tired of these scare tactics. These things especially frighten elderly Americans and some other dip shits who will use this as an excuse to hoard. Any closure should be short term in order to sanitize the plants and only be a minor interruption, but you can be damn sure they will use this to raise prices.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
“The parents of the students would also think whether this place which they found is not so friendly, even hostile, whether this is the best place to send our kids.”

Yeah, right: Parents in China are going to stop sending their children to the countries that can provide them the best education because of a snit over which ones are asking for why they mishandled the pandemic. Roll Eyes

*If* it happens, I suspect it will be because of CCP pressure/restrictions, either overt or more subtle. Something alongs the lines of, “Sending one’s children to be educated in a country critical of state may negatively affect one’s social credit.”

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
These things especially frighten elderly

Yep

I've talked to several older people who are completely buying into the panic.
They sit and watch tv to so they know what's going on... only to make things worse.

This shit needs to stop!

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
*If* it happens ....

You’re right, of course, but I was commenting about the ambassador’s statement, not about reality. I never post, “He was just turning his life around,” or similar comments when some alpha hotel gets wasted in a botched robbery attempt, so I have to get my stunningly obvious observations in where I can. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I was commenting about the ambassador’s statement, not about reality. I never post, “He was just turning his life around,” or similar comments when some alpha hotel gets wasted in a botched robbery attempt, so I have to get my stunningly obvious observations in where I can. Wink

Big Grin

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Smart folks taking advantage of the "crisis". AKA Making the best of a bad situation.

The local cafe is great, and always busy. They are open now only for takeout, and they bring that to you in your car. Through the windows for two or three weeks now I can see ladders and all the considerable memorabilia and decorations are off the walls. It looks like they are taking the opportunity to do a remodel the dining room. Smart, and needed. Sort of a if life gives you lemons make lemonade type of deal...

My granny would call it... Using your head for something besides a hat rack.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
If there's a panic for meat I supposed it could cause shortages in other protein sources, as people scramble for substitutes. Even though Tyson is processed stuff, people will likely panic buy whatever they can get their hands on. Look how long it took to start getting TP to last on the shelf, and there was no problem on the production side with that.

One good thing about meat, unlike TP - you can't fill your attic with weiners and steaks, so people will be more restricted in the amount they can horde, I guess.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Sort of a if life gives you lemons make lemonade type of deal...

Big Grin

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/67N2Wxi63jo

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/heal...-patients-directive/

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo suggested Monday that “money” was partly to blame for nursing homes failing to turn away coronavirus patients that they could not care for — after a state directive requiring them to take those patients.

Cuomo has come under increasing criticism for a March 25 directive requiring nursing homes to accept coronavirus patients. The directive read, in part (original emphasis): “No resident shall be denied re-admission or admission to the NH [nursing home] solely based on a confirmed or suspected diagnosis of COVID-19. NHs are prohibited from requiring a hospitalized resident who is determined medically stable to be tested for COVID-19 prior to admission or readmission.”

The policy is being scrutinized more closely as some 25% of the state’s fatalities from coronavirus have occurred in nursing homes.

Critics argue that the state should not have put coronavirus patients in facilities housing the elderly, who are the most vulnerable to the illness. New Jersey and California have similar policies.

Cuomo has insisted that it is the nursing homes’ responsibility to refer patients to the state department of health, or to other facilities, if they cannot care for those patients.

He reiterated that argument on Monday, and also took issue with a story in the New York Post about a nursing home in Brooklyn, the Cobble Hill Health Center, which told the state in early April that it could not handle coronavirus patients, but was refused permission to transfer them to facilities at the Jacob Javits Center or the USNS Comfort, both set up by the federal government.

The CEO of a hard-hit Brooklyn nursing home, where 55 patients have died from the coronavirus, told The Post last week that he’d been warning state Health Department officials for weeks he had staffing and equipment issues — yet received little help.

“There is no way for us to prevent the spread under these conditions,’’ the head of the Cobble Hill Health Center, Donny Tuchman, wrote in an e-mail to the department on April 8.

He said he asked to move some patients to the makeshift wards at Manhattan’s Javits Center and aboard the city-docked USNS Comfort amid the pandemic, only to be told those two spots were receiving only patients from hospitals.

“I made specific requests to transfer patients, and it didn’t happen,’’ Tuchman told The Post. “There weren’t options.”

Gov. Cuomo called the story “a bit misleading,” saying: “The Comfort is a federal facility, it doesn’t take transfers from nursing homes, it only takes transfers from hospitals. That’s why the Comfort wouldn’t take a transfer from a nursing home. Because the specific protocol on that specific ship said that people have to come from a hospital.”

He added: “You can’t refer from the nursing home to the Comfort. You can’t refer from a nursing home to the Marriott Hotel, you can’t refer to the Hilton. Yeah, I know. But that nursing home can call any other facilty, or can call the Department of Health, and the Department of Health will take that person and find a facility.”

Cuomo added: “Who cares about just that ship, if the point is that nursing home should have referred that patient, and should have told the Department of Health, ‘I can’t handle these patients.'”

He added that nursing homes knew they could lose “money” if they rejected patients, so they had an incentive to take coronavirus patients even if they could not care for them without endangering other patients.

“Whatever reason they want, they call the Department of Health, and say, ‘You take Bernadette. I can’t handle her. And the Department of Health takes [her]. Now, when the Department of Health takes Bernadette, they no longer get paid for Bernadette. Oh! Money.”

Cuomo said that nursing homes were allowed to transfer coronavirus patients back to hospitals if they themselves could not care for them, but he claimed that there were no cases in which nursing homes had done so .

The governor was later asked whether he was saying that nursing homes cared for profits more than for patients’ welfare.

“No. Not at all,” Cuomo said.

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I may get my ass handed to me on this one but doesn't anyone else think sending USNS Comfort to NY was a huge waste of taxpayer's money? They treated 186 patients! Are they telling us that NY hospitals couldn't handle that many more patients? That ship should have been sent somewhere else where it could have done more good. I'd love to find out just how much that deployment cost us taxpayers.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Of course it was a waste of money. What are you going to do though when there are all the 'experts' saying there will be mass casualties? Best to be over prepared than under prepared.

See post above yours. Had they send the elderly to the boat instead of what they used it for I am sure many lives could have been saved.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20817 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
That ship should have been sent somewhere else where it could have done more good.

Where?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Other than fuel costs what was the additional cost? It was already manned. It was essentially paid for no matter where it was anchored.

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Yes, processed meat.

The problem coming with all the hype over a shortage is, people are going to start hoarding meat, which will make a shortage look real.
Recognize this for what it is. The main pandemic story is losing speed as people start to both question and buck it, and states reopen, so the media needs a brand new crisis with which to try and terrify to public. What's better than...."Now you're all going to starve to death."

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Watched Governor DeSantis' press briefing from Tampa. You think he'd give me the name of his barber? I need a haircut and his hair looks good. Also, he's quoting numbers for recoveries. Be nice if the rest of us could see those, wouldn't it?

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off, none of us would actually starve even if ALL MEAT EVERYWHERE was unavailable. Not that I want to be a vegetarian but it won’t kill you. Probably the opposite in fact.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
One good thing about meat, unlike TP - you can't fill your attic with weiners and steaks, so people will be more restricted in the amount they can horde, I guess.

Obviously you've never seen how much SPAM there is in most Asian households Wink

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14183 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Recognize this for what it is. The main pandemic story is losing speed as people start to both question and buck it, and states reopen, so the media needs a brand new crisis with which to try and terrify to public. What's better than...."Now you're all going to starve to death."

While the plants do need to take some time to sanitize everything...that is exactly what's being done by the media and others to further their agenda. It really disgusting to see how low they are willing to go. I hope karma bites them in the ass one of these days

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post