SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

"the Constitution is not suspended in times of crisis"

Posts: 19558 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember when President Trump wanted to start re-opening the economy around Easter and was pilloried for suggesting it?

He was ahead of the curve like always.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
First off, none of us would actually starve even if ALL MEAT EVERYWHERE was unavailable. Not that I want to be a vegetarian but it won’t kill you. Probably the opposite in fact.

Hey, if meat became unavailable for purchase, there would be a lot of deaths around here on the ranch. The turkeys would be in serious danger, as would the deer which mostly just cruise around as if they owned the joint. Heck, even this cute little bugger might be in trouble.

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
This may be an issue. At the beginning of this my dedicated freezer broke and I had to throw food in it away....a buddy of mine actually got a new one and let me have his old one last week. Because of our money issues I haven’t restocked it. I’m wondering now, though, if maybe dipping further into the emergency funds may be appropriate

Food supply chain is breaking, Tyson foods chair says as processing plants continue to close

https://www.foxnews.com/food-d...coronavirus-closures

https://twitter.com/AnaSwanson...173854228489/photo/1

Tyson is two counties south of me. Next county east is George's. I work for another one of Tyson's competitors. Production of poultry products is normal.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
First off, none of us would actually starve even if ALL MEAT EVERYWHERE was unavailable. Not that I want to be a vegetarian but it won’t kill you. Probably the opposite in fact.
You're not plugged into the game. First the media will create panic and terror over meat production. When that story starts to fade, it will be produce next. Then who knows what comes next. The central theme here is the media maintaining fear and panic in the pubic for as long as possible.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Now it’s being reported that case fatality rate is increasing. Gotta keep the people scared and panicky. What utter bull.

https://thehill.com/policy/hea...onavirus-runs-deadly

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ What is that creature?

One thing about living in a rural area... farmers with cows, hogs, chickens... then the deer, turkeys, etc. running around.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Looks like a badger to me.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^^ Not to be confused with a Honey Badger, cause he don’t give a shit.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plugugly:
Tyson is two counties south of me. Next county east is George's. I work for another one of Tyson's competitors. Production of poultry products is normal.

I had a son in Law working at Tyson, A brother in law that raised 60k chickens per batch for them, now retired, and my niece's husband is a traveling supervisor for them.

Tyson chicken plant ~15 miles from me processes ~100k chickens per day, last I heard.
My son in law worked there until a month ago and he quit because the virus was spreading in the plant among the largely immigrant workers and the company was hiding not reporting it and doing nothing to protect the workers, in his opinion. Complaints to HR went unanswered. Now that someone leaked the story and it hit the news they are all over it, shutting down for cleaning etc. The day the news broke the reported cases in this county jumped by roughly 50%. Just a coincidence I guess. Another Son In Law worked for there once, in a room with 10 other people... and he was the only English speaking man in the room, he quit after 4 days. But you didn't hear any of that from me! Big Grin

Thing is the growers can only hold the chickens about a week after they reach ideal weight and then there is usually only about a week before they are restocked with new chicks to raise. It's a rolling process and a huge deal if they close for more than a couple days. They do normally close down on weekends but use those two day to buffer demand and work them if needed.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That badger should be dropped off in the White House press pool, about 10 seconds before the briefing goes live. The press snots would get an education, and we'd get entertained.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The process workers are mostly Mexican around these parts. The company was taking their temp when they come to work.
The workers used ice packs to mask their temperature! They want to work, so they can send their money back to their families in Mexico.

18,000 hogs a day.
The real problem is the two week delay.
Normal market size is 280 lbs, delay that by 2+ weeks (gaining 5 lbs a day) now you have 350+ lb pigs. So some will die due to heart attacks, from the added stress during loading and shipping. The deads become fertilizer.
But the real problem is for the farmers. The new stock has no where to go, since the hog barns are still full of over grown market pigs.

Things need to open back up or things will get a little messy.

Another issue facing the farmers, is they're not part of the medical field.
So the ag supply companies temporarily will not sell them N95 masks. Which they need to wear in the barns, due to the fine feed dust.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Looks like a badger to me.

I believe it is a badger. Based on the last one I saw here, I’d say this one looks be on the younger side.

quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi
That badger should be dropped off in the White House press pool, about 10 seconds before the briefing goes live. The press snots would get an education, and we'd get entertained.

I dunno, compared to the last guy, this guy seems curious, inquisitive, and mellow. I’d suggest one like the last one: older, bigger, pissed off, and not interested in being bothered. Oh, and I’d suggest not having any other WH representative show. Just make sure the badger is pissed, toss him in the middle of the press weenies, then lock all the doors. :-)

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shop owner, veteran defying local lockdown orders, speaks out

https://youtu.be/V67p-OOqv_A

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
The process workers are mostly Mexican around these parts. The company was taking their temp when they come to work.
The workers used ice packs to mask their temperature! They want to work, so they can send their money back to their families in Mexico.

18,000 hogs a day.
The real problem is the two week delay.
Normal market size is 280 lbs, delay that by 2+ weeks (gaining 5 lbs a day) now you have 350+ lb pigs. So some will die due to heart attacks, from the added stress during loading and shipping. The deads become fertilizer.
But the real problem is for the farmers. The new stock has no where to go, since the hog barns are still full of over grown market pigs.

Things need to open back up or things will get a little messy.

Another issue facing the farmers, is they're not part of the medical field.
So the ag supply companies temporarily will not sell them N95 masks. Which they need to wear in the barns, due to the fine feed dust.

A finished market hog at 270 doesn’t gain 5lbs daily. From 200 pounds to finish average daily gain is 1.5- 2lbs. A hog can be held to a daily weight gain of less than 1lb per day with limiting feed to 3.5 lbs daily.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:

A finished market hog at 270 doesn’t gain 5lbs daily. From 200 pounds to finish average daily gain is 1.5- 2lbs. A hog can be held to a daily weight gain of less than 1lb per day with limiting feed to 3.5 lbs daily.

I'm relaying the info I got directly from the hog farm owner/operator.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:

I'm relaying the info I got directly from the hog farm owner/operator.

I appreciate that but even a 700 lb feeder steer will only gain about 3 lbs per day. You are spot on with barn space a problem with extended feed to slaughter days.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Multiple countries beginning to ease up.

quote:
Europe cautiously eyes exit from virus lockdowns

From the Newspaper | Updated April 28, 2020

LONDON: Europe took uneven steps to phase out coronavirus restrictions on Monday as debates rage over how quickly to ease lockdowns that are protecting lives but piling on economic misery.

While schools and shops reopened in some parts of the continent, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson emerged after his own battle with the virus to call for patience in the UK, saying it was too early to follow suit.

Around the world the pandemic has killed over 206,000 people and infected nearly three million, with death tolls highest in the United States.

Well over half of all deaths are in Europe, with the toll hitting 125,000 on the continent Monday.

Yet with some of Europe’s worst-affected countries recently reporting marked drops in their daily death counts, governments are exploring how to relax confinement orders that are taking their own economic and psychological tolls.

Italy, the first European country to go into lockdown seven weeks ago, has laid out partial reopening plans to start on May 4 while Spain and France are expected to announce their timelines on Tuesday.

In Switzerland, Croatia and Serbia, many small shops were back in business Monday, while children in Norway returned to primary school.

With the UK starting “turn the tide” of an outbreak that has killed more than 20,000, Prime Minister Johnson warned against any hasty moves.

Looking thinner and with his blond mane a bit longer after his hospital stay, the 55-year-old said he could not “throw away all the effort and the sacrifice of the British people and to risk a second major outbreak”.

Responses varied elsewhere on the planet as leaders grapple with how to balance public safety with personal freedoms and economic relief.

[...]

Cabin fever

Plans to ease restrictions have been met with both fear and impatience from citizens facing a deeply uncertain future.

While some parents in Norway expressed anxiety about sending kids back to school, Catholic bishops in Italy are angry about an extended ban on masses.

Cabin fever got to some Parisians who were out enjoying sunny weather over the weekend, with walkers and joggers crowding paths despite strict social distancing orders.

Germany, which started lifting restrictions last week, has seen signs of growing impatience in small but regular protests against remaining curbs on personal freedom.

Starting Monday, masks became obligatory on public transport and in most shops in Germany, a measure residents described as both necessary and irksome.

“It’s warm, slippery, you can’t breathe well, but if it’s to avoid infection, I’m fine with it,” Emil, a commuter at a Berlin train station, told AFP.

In Switzerland, relieved hairdressers, florists, dentists and others went back to work after a range of businesses reopened in the first stage of the country’s three-phase plan.

“I’m delighted that we’re starting up again. If we don’t work, things are dead,” hairdresser Anita Ayma said in Geneva, wearing a fabric mask and plastic face shield has she worked through a 12-hour string of bookings.

New Zealand was also preparing to begin gradually exit its lockdown after Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the country had successfully halted a “widespread, undetected community transmission”.

“We have won that battle,” she said.

[...]

https://www.dawn.com/news/1552791

Yesterday I estimated more than half of the shoppers at my supermarket to wear masks. Funny thing: 30 years ago they were making laws against Antifa types covering their faces in protests. 15 years ago they were discussing laws against Muslim women covering their faces in public. As of this week, you're required to cover your face on public transport in most German states, and while shopping in some. Good thing we never followed through with the general ban like Austria and France; Muslim activists there must be laughing their asses off.

Still very different developments between countries. Drop from peak of active cases:

US - still rising

Spain - 15 percent in four days

Italy - 12 percent in twelve days

France - still rising

Germany - 48 percent in 21 days

UK - still rising

Switzerland - 63 percent in 27 days

Sweden - still rising

Israel - 17 percent in twelve days

Austria - 75 percent in 24 days

South Korea - 76 percent in 47 days

Denmark - 39 percent in 17 days

Posts: 2412 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Ep73 – Vitamin D Status and Viral Interactions…The Science

a review of recent publications on Vitamin D versus Virus Infection severity of outcome

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw an interesting development...a Ill. state rep petitioned the court and got an order staying the governor's 30 day extension of his stay home order, ruling it illegal under their laws. It looks like it will be headed to the state supreme court but it's about time some state legislatures took some action to restrain these leftist governors.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post