SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
Absolutely Right!!! here in N.C we have 200+ cases in the entire state that I last saw reported, and no deaths yet our crooked, idiot governor continues to order more businesses to close.
Harris County Texas has a population of well over 4,000,000 people; 4,653,000 in 2017. As of today, there were 54 reported cases, making that a 0.001161% infection rate based on that 2017 number; I'm sure the percentage is even lower, as the population of Harris County has certainly increased the last 3 years. There were talks this morning about enacting "Shelter In Place" protocols for Harris County. It didn't happen, so maybe...MAYBE...smarter heads prevailed.

As a comparison for Texas in the aggregate, Texas' population as of 2018 was 28,700,000. Governor Abbot reports that as of yesterday at 1700 hours, there were 566 cases of Coronavirus. That is a state-wide infection rate of 0.001972% of the population. Yeah...let's shut down the entire economy. Roll Eyes JSMH...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
And Utah K-12 public schools will now extend their closure to May 1st.

Completely asinine.

If my daughter's private school follows suit, and I believe they will, they better not expect a check from me next month.

And hey, that's another thing? How many private schools will survive this as well? One thing's for sure, public schools will continue to get paid.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30669 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
C'mon, there's people dying in the streets, at least 499 Nationwide! Take this stuff serious!

Posts: 1831 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Despite my skepticism of this situation taken as a whole, I really don't think it's proper or in good taste to make light of ANY deaths that may ensue because of this virus. JMHO...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

And all of this bending or flattening the curve means absolutely nothing without a 'working' vaccine, which we won't have for months (at the earliest).

No it means a lot of things, not just with those people who get the virus. It affects others who are sick or need surgery. Supplies etc, so ancillary conditions will be affected. Hurt in a car crash? Sorry you don't meet the requirements, hospital is full, no treatment. And some poor saps are going to have make those decisions and that is why the medical community is wigging out. Prioritizing who going die is not a decision people want to face.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^ There is no turning the curve into Sigmoid until the Ro is less than 1. Testing will reveal the efforts ofsuccessful mitigation. Contract tracing and isolation left the party soon after as uncontrolled community spread began. As Dr. Birx explained, when they present it meant about 3 weeks of time prior to that when the virus arrived. 50 different experiments going on right now at different timing. Hoping for rapid advances in highly urban areas as they will be slow to resume. show me pictures of a now bustling Wuhan.

Posts: 3561 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Just as I believe that the media is overhyping the public health aspects of this pandemic I believe that many in the media as well as many people here are overhyping the economic impact of this. Sure it’s bad, but if we are talking about a 3 week shutdown, we are talking about 6% of the year.yes that’s going to be bad but it’s not like end of the world bad. Plus we may see benefit from moving some manufacturing back to the US as weaknesses have been identified by almost everyone from our dependence on China. Globalism has been far more bad for the US than good, and the economic consequences of putting the brakes on globalism may well end up being a net positive. And just as I feel bad for those people who may die from Covid-19, I feel bad for those people that have lost their jobs, however I don’t doubt for a second that those job losses will be permanent or even long term. So just as we shouldn’t overdo the health consequences of this, we also shouldn’t overdo the economic consequences either.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5596 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
What this thread needs is more charts and graphs. And maybe repost those charts and graphs a few more times.
Then complain when people skim and repost things yet again. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Rhino, were you weaned off the teat too soon?

Posts: 108290 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
One thing's for sure, public schools will continue to get paid.

That's one thing no one has thought far enough ahead yet to mention; city, county and state government income. All of these cannot operate on a deficit like the federal government can. They are fine now, they have already collected for their 2020 operating budget, but what happens next year?

What happens when the housing market prices drop 20% or more? Property taxes drop also.

Orange County (Orlando) has a "bed tax" on hotels, 6% over and above the sales tax. How much is that going to drop? Because right now it is essentially shut off.

And just basic sales tax in general, that is normally 6.5%-7% of sales around here. All restaurants and bars are closed. Many retail businesses are closed. In many places, not only has that flow slowed, it has stopped.

City, county and state governments are going to be in for a rude awakening when to comes to their 2021 budgets.

Posts: 2328 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:

Hearing and understanding, and I believe that's exactly what the Boss may be getting to. Glad to see his response, and it's a balance I'm happy I don't have to decide.

It's a choice that is impossible to get perfect. I'm hoping he hits the right balance.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20941 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
Just as I believe that the media is overhyping the public health aspects of this pandemic I believe that many in the media as well as many people here are overhyping the economic impact of this. Sure it’s bad, but if we are talking about a 3 week shutdown, we are talking about 6% of the year.yes that’s going to be bad but it’s not like end of the world bad. Plus we may see benefit from moving some manufacturing back to the US as weaknesses have been identified by almost everyone from our dependence on China. Globalism has been far more bad for the US than good, and the economic consequences of putting the brakes on globalism may well end up being a net positive. And just as I feel bad for those people who may die from Covid-19, I feel bad for those people that have lost their jobs, however I don’t doubt for a second that those job losses will be permanent or even long term. So just as we shouldn’t overdo the health consequences of this, we also shouldn’t overdo the economic consequences either.
Ten years from now when we've had benefit of time to fully analyze all of this, people are going to look back and wonder how a country of 300+ million people were so bamboozled by a bunch of hucksters and liars into damaging our economy and the lives of millions over a virus that the vast majority of people got and simply recovered from.

And I don't give a damn how little the US economy might be impacted. I don't think any of us would elect to have surgery if the benefits were far outweighed by the negatives. And IMO that's where we sit right now.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Just a bit more of the rampant bullshit for you to chew on.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are buses and subways still running in NYC and Boston?

Posts: 2702 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
What this thread needs is more charts and graphs. And maybe repost those charts and graphs a few more times.

Nesting the big ones, that take up half the page, in replies is always appreciated by me in these threads.

Year V

Posts: 2658 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ten years from now when we've had benefit of time to fully analyze all of this, people are going to look back and wonder how a country of 300+ million people were so bamboozled by a bunch of hucksters and liars into damaging our economy and the lives of millions over a virus that the vast majority of people got and simply recovered from.

And I don't give a damn how little the US economy might be impacted. I don't think any of us would elect to have surgery if the benefits were far outweighed by the negatives. And IMO that's where we sit right now.

And creating $ TRILLIONS of new dollars as 'stimulus' is part of that...
IMO inflating the currency will do damage in the long run. I was against it in 2009, and I'm against it now.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24328 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

And creating $ TRILLIONS of new dollars as 'stimulus' is part of that...
IMO inflating the currency will do damage in the long run. I was against it in 2009, and I'm against it now.

I think if you took a poll 6 months from now the answer would be "hell no". If you look at all those bell-shaped curves on TV, the one thing to notice is THE AREA UNDER THE CURVE IS ABOUT THE SAME FOR EACH SCENARIO. Unless you find a vaccine that works 100% (hell, measles is 50%), test it, and distribute it in 90 days, as soon as you lift the quarantine the same people are going to get sick and die.

When, and if, they do antibody testing they will find that 70-80% of Americans already have antibodies to this virus, as its cousins have been around for years.

TL/DR the economy was killed by its own immune system...politics

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Based on what I saw from the left in the Senate regarding the stimulus bill. And the degree of disgust I feel at the pure partisan bullshit at a time the America needs action not posturing and pandering, I am of the opinion that the citizens give this virus another week or so to get the hopeful start that the experts have laid out, and then completely ignore the rules and mandates and conduct their lives and business as they see fit. Much of Washington doesn't give a shit about us or this country, rather they care about their own power even in the midst of this crisis. So fuck it, take their cue and do as you damn well please. They set the tone, let's roll with it. If bodies pile up like bags of ham, well, that's just part of the cost.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many of us on SigForum can say we know someone affected by COVID-19?

I'm one here. A cousin in a nearby state. Two suspected cases nearby, but can't get tested to confirm.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
This evening talking to my 21 yo son, he made the interesting observation that the thin veneer that protected our society peeled back to something slightly resembling a third world country, like Venezuela. Standing in lines for groceries. Toilet paper madness. Empty shelves in grocery stores. Healthcare systems overwhelmed. Economy in a tailspin. A frightened population.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16864 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post