SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 ... 1208
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Each of these states have Democrat governors.

One of the leading instigators of shutting down the state and all the hysteria is Ohio's Republican Governor Dewine....

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ohio's Republican Governor Dewine....

Authoritarianism does cross party lines... But it's more prevalent in the Dem states mentioned in the article.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24177 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Happy 2 months anniversary. I hope the medical machinery can catch up in time before the cases present larger numbers. Let's hope we reduced the R0 to at least less than 2 in the last couple weeks. Next week will (if not already) prove just how valuable all of our healthcare workers and everyone who supports them are. I'm not asking mail carriers to do anything other than support this effort. My Amazon shopping can take a break for a while.

The frog is just now realizing things are heating up a little

Posts: 3526 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.realclearscience.c...ld_drugs_111330.html

an article about a team working to find existing drugs to block a viral protein from interacting with a human protein it needs

I'll just leave the link for anyone interested

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

adding: Gov Cuomo says NY will immediately conduct trials with Hydroxychloroquine + Zithromax

FDA to send NY 10,000 doses

Cuomo: in a situation where a person is in dire circumstance, try what you can

Posts: 19606 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Another article on the French testing the use of existing drugs, and very rapid control of the affected.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03...e-covid-19-duration/

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43925 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
To fight WWII taxes were raised and citizens lent money to the government in the form of War Bonds.
How times have changed...

"10% Of GDP": US Coronavirus Stimulus Package To Total $2 Trillion

First it was $850 billion. Then $1 trillion. Then $1.2 trillion. Then $1.3 trillion and the market still didn't care, even as Round 3 of the proposed fiscal stimulus package grew faster than the number or coronavirus cases.

So in the Trump admin's scramble to impress investors, on Saturday morning Trump's top economic advisor Larry Kudlow said that the latest and greatest financial package being assembled to offset the crippling economic impact from the coronavirus pandemic which according to Goldman will wipe out 24% of GDP in Q2 would total more than $2 trillion.

“The package is coming in at about 10% of GDP,” Larry Kudlow told reporters as he headed into a meeting with Republican senators. He said that would work out to a bit more than $2 trillion. “We’re just trying to cover the right bases,” he added.

https://www.zerohedge.com/mark...age-total-2-trillion

The phrase "helicopter money" was first coined by Milton Friedman in 1969, when he wrote a parable of dropping money from a helicopter to illustrate the effects of monetary expansion.

Am I the only one who agrees with Milton Friedman that this is a bad idea?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24177 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this has been posted or not; I didn't see it. Fake news???

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/t...L-fPTvCUo5l6fQ6bzQgY

The U.S. wants smartphone location data to fight coronavirus. Privacy advocates are worried.

The White House and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are asking Facebook, Google and other tech giants to give them greater access to Americans' smartphone location data in order to help them combat the spread of the coronavirus, according to four people at companies involved in the discussions who are not authorized to speak about them publicly.

cont...

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38723 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

The U.S. wants smartphone location data to fight coronavirus. Privacy advocates are worried.

Appears to be real.

Facebook and Google may go along with this. Apple and others: Not so much. Personally, I'll turn off all location services faster than you can say "GPS" if they do.

(As an aside: I believe there's also once again a bill in the House to cripple private, end-to-end encryption, too.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
My friends brother 50 is on a ventilator. I’m praying for him.

Good news. Off the ventilator today. Test results are back. Pneumonia, but not COVID-19.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Thanks for the update and good news!

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Good news is good of late..

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38005 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

The White House and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are asking Facebook, Google and other tech giants to give them greater access to Americans' smartphone location data in order to help them combat the spread of the coronavirus, according to four people at companies involved in the discussions who are not authorized to speak about them publicly.

cont...

If they are using the data from those infected to track their movement history to create a map of possible infection sites to establish a network of hot spots and focus attention on those possibly exposed rather than everyone I'm ok with it.

If they're using it to track all of us to see what we're up to every minute, I have a definite problem.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38005 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Interesting read

https://medium.com/six-four-si...ovid-19-1b767def5894

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3227 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Interesting read

Please put a description when posting a link.
Many of us won't click links we don't know anything about.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Interesting read

quote:
The World Health Organization (“WHO”) released a study on how China responded to COVID-19. Currently, this study is one of the most exhaustive pieces published on how the virus spreads.

The results of their research show that COVID-19 doesn’t spread as easily as we first thought or the media had us believe (remember people abandoned their dogs out of fear of getting infected). According to their report if you come in contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19 you have a 1–5% chance of catching it as well. The variability is large because the infection is based on the type of contact and how long.

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Para.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
from a pc hover cursor over link (if active) / or copy it, right click, copy link address, open proxy, paste and see wth it is safely.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Am I the only one who agrees with Milton Friedman that this is a bad idea?

I agree 100% it is a horrible idea. I think the whole concept of helicopter money or the current incarnation "modern monetary theory" is insane and will only serve to enrich the people close to the "hot money" while impoverishing generations of working people.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
from a pc hover cursor over link (if active) / or copy it, right click, copy link address, open proxy, paste and see wth it is safely.
I'm on a Kindle, so I can't do the hover.