SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 ... 1208
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Wow, are they really? How utterly shameful.

I haven't read the article Trump is referring to but I know what it's about--this is straight from Fauci.

I'm afraid Trump's stepping on his dick on this one, and so are you. This is what can happen when you don't actually read the article <smh>

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Care to fill us in?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38722 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'm afraid Trump's stepping on his dick on this one, and so are you. This is what can happen when you don't actually read the article <smh>

Well, I heard Fauci yesterday talking about how Italy caused more of a spread throughout the world due to so many Italians having traveled to China.

Year V

Posts: 2635 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
This shelter in place is getting to me. I snapped at the wife telling her to STFU. Let's see, the last time I did that was never. Never. She accepted my apology and I'm grateful she did. CRAZZEEEEEE times right now.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
my mistake back on pg 364

I thought N95 had a HEPA filter.

HEPA will filter < 0.3 microns

Posts: 19605 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this is it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0...us-live-updates.html

Coronavirus in New York came mainly from Europe, studies show.

New research indicates that the coronavirus began to circulate in the New York area by mid-February, weeks before the first confirmed case, and that it was brought to the region mainly by travelers from Europe, not Asia.

“The majority is clearly European,” said Harm van Bakel, a geneticist at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, who co-wrote a study awaiting peer review.

A separate team at N.Y.U. Grossman School of Medicine came to strikingly similar conclusions, despite studying a different group of cases. Both teams analyzed genomes from coronaviruses taken from New Yorkers starting in mid-March.

The research revealed a previously hidden spread of the virus that might have been detected if aggressive testing programs had been put in place. On Jan. 31, President Trump barred foreign nationals from entering the country if they had been in China — the site of the virus’s first known outbreak — during the previous two weeks.

Viruses invade a cell and take over its molecular machinery, causing it to make new viruses. An international guild of viral historians ferrets out the history of outbreaks by poring over clues embedded in the genetic material of viruses taken from thousands of patients.

In January, a team of Chinese and Australian researchers published the first genome of the new virus. Since then, researchers around the world have sequenced over 3,000 more. Some are genetically identical to each other, while others carry distinctive mutations.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
If it’s what I think he is referring to it’s regarding the mutations the virus has made can basically provide a travel history, for lack of a better term

The whole virus still originated in China, but apparently the iterations of it that appeared in Washington state basically arrived straight from China, whereas the version of the virus in New York arrived via Italy/Europe

The origin is still China, it’s just the path of travel it took to reach various parts of the country

quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Care to fill us in?

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the details, fellas.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38722 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
my mistake back on pg 364

I thought N95 had a HEPA filter.

HEPA will filter < 0.3 microns

No problem. N100 is considered HEPA-rated. 100% filtration of 0.3 micron particles (I think it's actually 99.97%).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Imagine the shitstorm if Trump had banned travel from Europe!

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
If it’s what I think he is referring to it’s regarding the mutations the virus has made can basically provide a travel history, for lack of a better term

The whole virus still originated in China, but apparently the iterations of it that appeared in Washington state basically arrived straight from China, whereas the version of the virus in New York arrived via Italy/Europe

They're referring to a mutation of the original virus. This new strain is tracking as more deadly than the original that came from Wuhan and is what we're mostly seeing on the East Coast. The "hot spot" in WA is from the Italian strain that has been traced to a visitor to the care home who had previously returned from the East Coast

A Stanford study is leading scientist to believe that the strain on the West Coast might have been here since late last year, but being milder strain, didn't attract as much attention...more like the "bad flu" that the original Wuhan virus was being described as. So in essence allowing the virus to spread so widely in Italy caused it to mutate into a deadlier form.

The importance of differentiating the two strains is to track how they differ in transmission and treatment.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Wow, are they really? How utterly shameful.

I haven't read the article Trump is referring to but I know what it's about--this is straight from Fauci.

What article? No one posted an article in reference to that tweet. So what are you talking about? If you got info, spill it. That's exactly why I asked.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
What article? No one posted an article in reference to that tweet. So what are you talking about? If you got info, spill it. That's exactly why I asked.

It is linked 9 posts after your question...or 6 posts before this one

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:

It is linked 9 posts after your question...or 6 posts before this one

Yeah no shit. And it's 5 posts after the post I'm referring to.

Anyone who trusts the NYT's is a sucker. Plain and simple.

smh

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Some good news:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/zdwIxRnj2H0

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20843 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Here's an article about the general idea, from National Geographic.

https://www.nationalgeographic...sprove-conspiracies/

There are groups collecting virus samples from people all over the world, sequencing the genomes, and building "family trees" of the mutations to examine spread of the virus around the world.

Trump's tweet seems to indicate he thinks the NYT article was saying the virus first appeared in Europe.

What they were actually saying is basically that the genomes of the samples from New York have mutations they observed in samples from Europe, but not China. Meaning the virus spread from China to Europe, then mutated, then the mutated virus spread from Europe to New York

It's like a new dog breed gets started in China, but they all have brown fur. Then a bunch of Europeans buy those dogs. Then the Europeans start breeding them with black fur. If you see a black one, even though it's a Chinese dog breed, you know at some point its ancestors were in Europe (and farther back, in China).

The number of samples is small. They have demonstrated pretty conclusively that some people in New York have a virus that got here by way of Europe.

They haven't proven that there aren't other people in the US or even in New York with the virus that got it in a direct line back to China.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

Iceland, which has a population that is about the same size as Tulsa, Oklahoma, has performed 96,000 tests per 1 million people.

Uhhh, can someone explain this to me. I'm math challenged. Iceland has like 360,000 people. But it has performed 96,000 tests per 1 million people?

Is that just an absurd way of saying "they've test 9.6% of their population"?

Why on earth would you phrase it like that?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes and because saying "per million people" rather than "percent" either humanizes the dead or makes the whole thing sound more dramatic, depending on whose editor you ask.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Here's the headline in the New York Times (a former newspaper):

Studies Show N.Y. Outbreak Originated in Europe

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0...us-live-updates.html

The insinuation there should be blatantly obvious. The NYT (a former newspaper) and the WHO seem to have the same mission, and that is to be boot-lickers to the Chinese communist party.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
https://www.foxnews.com/us/doj...n-religious-covid-19

These Communist governors and mayors need to get their dicks knocked in the dirt.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3979 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post